Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When can something burn but not die from burning?  (Read 1639 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
When can something burn but not die from burning?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:00 am »

I've got a zombie giant mole stuck in my trash burner that burns continuously but will not die and a Vomit FB in my Experimental Megabeast Trap/kill chamber (version 2.4) that gets burns from magma but is not dying from magma. Angst! Magma that doesn't kill! Animated magma-safe vomit with a vapor attack! Continuously flaming giant undead moles!
I suppose if I drained the trash pit and let the thing burn a while it might die, but the Magma-safeness of the puke monster is really puzzling.  It burns but it doesn't burn all the way.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When can something burn but not die from burning?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:39:42 am »

If a creature (or item) has an IGNITE_POINT but no HEATDAM_POINT it'll burn forever. So it's not possible to kill them with lava, what you did is just make it more dangerous with it on fire as it can burn your Dwarfs also. Good luck.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:42:51 am »

I can still obsidianize the bastard.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:26 am »

Just don't dig out the obsidian again. I've heard that some creatures can still be alive when you do that. Not sure which ones though.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53:36 am »

Woah, that must surely be a bug then. Obsidianizing kills anything it comes in contact to, as like cave-ins. Unless you really edited the raws.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:21 am »

Killing through burning usually means you melted the victim's fat, causing bleedling AFAIK

There was a strategy to melt your own fat while trying not to die in Adventure Mode that rendered you imune to high temperatures.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

The thing has burns in its injury list, it just won't burn completely, or catch on fire.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:51 am »

Cave-ins kill things, just like obsidian. Obsidian killing anything is what Aussie's checkerboard is based on, after all.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:10:15 am »

Relevant science:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92258.msg2578852#msg2578852
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99822.msg2943362#msg2943362

TLDR: it has no fat, blood, breathing, or internal organs so it can't die in magma. It does have a heatdam point, hence the burn damage.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:50 am »

Killing through burning usually means you melted the victim's fat, causing bleedling AFAIK

There was a strategy to melt your own fat while trying not to die in Adventure Mode that rendered you imune to high temperatures.

Do you remember how this strategy works? I tried it several times in adventure mode but it did not work yet.
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:28 am »

Do you remember how this strategy works? I tried it several times in adventure mode but it did not work yet.

Ok, here's what I remember. Have a companion and PLENTY of food so that you don't starve (same for water) and so that boogeymen don't come chomp on you. Light a shrub on fire. Sit on it ('s' for "On Ground") Wait until you start melting (bleeding damage). Get off the shrub and wait to heal. You have lost some fat. Repeat until there's no fat left on you. I think you also lose some natural armor, since there will be no fat cushioning blows.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:23:28 am »

Thanks, you just gave me another tool to create a new generation of super-soldiers  :D
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:04:50 am »

Angst!
Are you dutch?
Because that means fear in dutch.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:10:20 am »

As it does in German, but angst is a pretty common loanword in English for sort of a nagging, persistent worry.
Memento Mori

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »

Well, damn. I just happened to have recently an FB that I magma'd. A giant tick, or a mite I think. The magma managed to burn away all its fat but its limbs just kept recovering. I just thought some of them heal pretty fast. Hell, it ran away from my magma gauntlet three times before I managed to obsidianize it.
Pages: [1] 2