Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get to...  (Read 1246 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
How do I get to...
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:14 am »

The Clowns? I want to unleash hordes of Clowns onto a world, but whenever I try to gid really deep to get to them, I always hit these "Semi-Molten Rock" stuff. Is there any way to get to them, or do they just appear on worldgen sometimes and it's just a rumor about digging to the Clowns?

(Clowns as in a spoiler-free term. Not literally Clowns. That would just be silly.)

I've practacly dug out the entire layer down there, nothing but semi-molten rock.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get to...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:15 am »

Try mining some adamantine.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:07 am »

Yeah. usually there is some adamantine around. If not then you should look for the blue candy stick!

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:17:39 am »

it will be somewhere.... just dig it up or i just tell you you are unlucky to have NOEZ adamantine
Desu

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:24:41 am »

Every 2x2 or larger embark zone is guaranteed adamantine, I think.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:35:50 am »

Candy is hard to come by...
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:30 am »

In most cases, you'll find the top of the adamantine vein somewhere in the third cavern layer. You can explore it the easy way by pitting some kittens, or you can send a military squad to scout. If you can't find any adamantine in the cavern, then you'll have to poke holes into the magma sea and peek inside.

That gives me an idea. Can we tame magma crabs? If so, they'd make excellent magma sea explorers.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:28 am »

In most cases, you'll find the top of the adamantine vein somewhere in the third cavern layer. You can explore it the easy way by pitting some kittens, or you can send a military squad to scout. If you can't find any adamantine in the cavern, then you'll have to poke holes into the magma sea and peek inside.

That gives me an idea. Can we tame magma crabs? If so, they'd make excellent magma sea explorers.

extra bonus awesome.

also, why does nobody fortification explore the caverns?  Mine paralel to the wall till you get close to the edge of what you can see, dig portal, continue.  It's safe from all but surprise spitting FB.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:57:51 am »

Digging through the ceiling and having a look around doesn't require a second dwarf to come round and do two jobs that can't be designated at the same time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:33 am »

If you're really Lucky (lucky being dependent on your perspective), you'll find a Clown Car with the obligatory Masterpiece Candy Cane stuck in the ground at one of the levels, pulling / deconstructing the Candy Cane will open the door to the Clowns and eventually the Circus. Of course, before you get to meet the clowns, you have to get pass some conductors.

You can find out if you have a Clown Car by checking your stocks screen for a Candy Cane.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 11:59:24 am »

Every 2x2 or larger embark zone is guaranteed adamantine, I think.
The above is not exactly correct; please see this post for more info.  In short, you need the smallest dimension of your embark to be either 2 and aligned to the grid, or at least 3, to guarantee a cyan pillar; a random 2x2 embark has a more than 1/5 chance to have none.