Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Need a project to focus on.  (Read 2662 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Need a project to focus on.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 12:55:51 am »

The details were listed previous when we talked about magma pistons.  Dropping a cave-in into a liquid causes that liquid to travel directly upwards in a huge splash.  So, put a magma piston beside a water piston, by creating a magma reservoir and a water reservoir next to each other, and piston them both at the same time.  Water goes up on one side, magma on the other, obsidian mixes in mid-air, and then it rains blocks of stone, water, and spare magma.

I've never attempted it, but the theory is sound, and I've heard other people have perfected the art, and I assume it to be infinitely entertaining to cause.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:58 am »

Sounds like you could build two high-pressure liquid cannons (one water, one magma) and direct them over a hole and make obsidian  which would instantly fall to crush anything beneath it.

I've thought about this many times but never actually figured out a design that works. Screw pumps will only move liquids 1 tile away, where then it drops and spreads randomly. To force the lava/water to spread towards each other will require walls, but then the obsidian will attatch to the walls...

Check out this thread. Urist Da Vinci pointed out that hovering drawbridges or floodgates can be used for just this. To make them hover, build them on top of a constructed wall then remove the wall.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 02:34:13 am »

Sounds like you could build two high-pressure liquid cannons (one water, one magma) and direct them over a hole and make obsidian  which would instantly fall to crush anything beneath it.

Sadly, falling stones currently do not kill.

It wouldn't be making stones, though... it would be making terrain: unsupported natural walls, spawned in mid-air, which would immediately cave-in on top of the opponent.
Never pet a burning dog.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 03:49:29 am »

Sadly, falling stones currently do not kill.

It wouldn't be making stones, though... it would be making terrain: unsupported natural walls, spawned in mid-air, which would immediately cave-in on top of the opponent.

Dwarven Meteor Defense Grid

This is my next project lol.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:45 am »

This works best if it's linked to a pressure plate that is linked to a annimal cage with a door so you don't have to wait for your dwarfs to pull a lever
something like this
wwww
waDp-rest of fortress
wwww

a=annimal
D=door
p=pressure plate
unforbiding the door will get the plate triggered very quickly now linking that to a obsidian canon above your forts entrance will give you a very secure fortress.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 06:49:54 am »

Clear glass observation bubble/legendary dining hall that bulbs down into the caverns in complete safety and luxury. Bonus points if this legendary observation bubble also opens up to clear sky, meaning a hell of a lot of channelling and construction to make this a possibility.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]