Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Bees, my god  (Read 10295 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bees, my god
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2011, 01:00:13 pm »

Encase goblin sieges in molten wax and make statues of them.

This is a +dragon statue+. It is made of dragon encased in wax.

It menaces with spikes of goblin encased in wax. It is adorned with hanging rings of elf encased in wax.

It is decorated with bee upper corpses.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 02:04:16 pm »

Maybe you can keep wasp hives to make paper?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 02:39:21 pm »

It menaces with spikes of goblin encased in wax. It is adorned with hanging rings of elf encased in wax.

Beware its cloth wick.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 02:46:40 pm »

Beware its cloth wick.
Urist McIdle was like 'WTF' lately. Him admired a WTF statue lately.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 05:32:58 pm »

Don't forget the wax can be used to make hardened leather (e.g., for better leather armor).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 05:45:10 pm »

Don't forget the wax can be used to make hardened leather (e.g., for better leather armor).

Ah yes, the cuir bouilli technique.  'Cept that you can boil leather in water or oil and get pretty much the same effect.
Sanity is for the weak.

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 05:52:07 pm »

My guess: bees = carp 2.0

At least right after they're introduced, anyway.

You know, further down on that list is the brown recluse spider, a vermin with a necrotic bite. Lives in otherwise quite peaceful biomes. Notorious for not even being noticed until your flesh starts rotting off.

Hands up for brown recluse traps?

I thought so.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:22 pm »

Oh, THAT one. A monstrous spider, that. Not hard to mistake it for something else, too. And it can also live in barns etc, which means stay freaking careful and destroy any spider you see.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »

It always amuses me how much people freak out over venomous spider bites.  Unless you have a weakened immune system, are very young, are very old, or are explicitly allergic to the venom in question, almost all types of spider venom are fairly harmless on the whole.  Even with the brown recluse, it's the exception to the rule that their bites cause effects like necrosis.  The vast majority of brown recluse bites don't have any side-effects at all, in fact.  Even the legendary black widow isn't half as deadly as people make it out to be (only the females are dangerous, incidentally; the males' bites just hurt, but lack any venom), and its venom is strong enough to warrant its own syndrome name.  The effects of said syndrome being about on par with your average flu's symptoms and are overcome naturally about as fast (ie. a week or two for healthy individuals).  The entertainment industry really has given us entirely the wrong impression about spiders.

Now getting bitten by a whole nest of black widow females...  That would be genuinely dangerous no matter how good your immune system is.  Other than that, though, your Dwarves shouldn't be bedridden for eternity with all of their insides rotting out from a single brown recluse bite.
Sanity is for the weak.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:18 pm »

But THIS! IS! DWARF FORTRESS!!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »

DF: If it isn't, someone will mod it to be.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »

DF: If it isn't, someone will mod it to be.

What's that, rule 43?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

With bees coming, and this being Dwarf Fortress, soon we will have guard dogs with bees, and when they bark they will shoot bees at everyone.  Awesome.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

With bees coming, and this being Dwarf Fortress, soon we will have guard dogs with bees, and when they bark they will shoot bees at everyone.  Awesome.
Hippe McTreeHugger cancels Siege: BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]