Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bees, my god  (Read 10304 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Bees, my god
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 10:56:47 pm »

I would have gone with gold, but that's just me.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »

Bonus points if you mod raws to make dwarves fly.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:57 am »

To do:

Mod dogs to have bee-based material breath weapon.

Because of this post, I had to draw this.

Spoiler: BEEEEES (click to show/hide)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:10 am »

First megaproject of the new version? Giant beehive for the dwarves to live in... made out of solid beeswax.

I am SO there.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 03:55:47 am »

I wonder if bees will respond to smoke like they do in real life.

Oh man, I sure hope so! Safe bee harvesting would be a wonderful opportunity for dwarfy engineering and Fun, then. Lignite bins!

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:01 am »

And pathing should be much simpler.  They'll only ever travel in B-lines. :)

That's actually a huge problem. First, the current pathfinding algorithm is A*, so we'll have two pathfinding processes running.

Second, B-lines are not your ordinary geometric lines, but rather highly complex curves. And by complex, I mean they exist in the imaginary plane, and only infrequently intersect with the real plane.

And finally, with the precedence of two incompatible pathfinders, what's to stop Toady from replacing the random placement method with B-Trees to model the spread of trees across the landscape?
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:11 am »

To do:

Mod dogs to have bee-based material breath weapon.

Because of this post, I had to draw this.

Spoiler: BEEEEES (click to show/hide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1Ay85de3U

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 06:10:12 am »

[... currently] A* [... next] B-Trees [...]
And then introduce tidal waters with some additional C code...

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 06:51:07 am »

First megaproject of the new version? Giant beehive for the dwarves to live in... made out of solid beeswax.

Definitely. I imagine that for at least a couple releases after the wax is put in, it'll just be a rather inert block material suited only for the kinds of things we used to use soap for.

But eventually, once toady decides that wax needs to actually be used for something, what do you all think the possibilities are? What the hell does one do with wax other than make candles and remove hair from the bikini line?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 06:52:22 am »

And yes, I will be modding in killer bees. And they will rock.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 07:04:13 am »

Definitely. I imagine that for at least a couple releases after the wax is put in, it'll just be a rather inert block material suited only for the kinds of things we used to use soap for.

But eventually, once toady decides that wax needs to actually be used for something, what do you all think the possibilities are? What the hell does one do with wax other than make candles and remove hair from the bikini line?

Well, the best one I can think of the lost wax method of creating casting molds for things. Fancy metal statue stuff can come out of that, not to mention all the other uses for casting. Other than that?
Off the top of my head: wax writing-tablets, waterproofing (paper, cloth, thread), cheese preservation, sealant for clay-jars, and egg decoration.

I'm probably missing some.
EDIT: ooh! ooh! Sealing Wax for Diplomatic seals! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealing_wax
I'd forgotten about that one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:06:19 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 07:23:56 am »

Well, the best one I can think of the lost wax method of creating casting molds for things. Fancy metal statue stuff can come out of that, not to mention all the other uses for casting. Other than that?
Off the top of my head: wax writing-tablets, waterproofing (paper, cloth, thread), cheese preservation, sealant for clay-jars, and egg decoration.

EDIT: ooh! ooh! Sealing Wax for Diplomatic seals! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealing_wax
I'd forgotten about that one.

hmm...sealing cheese and jars seems reasonable, and perhaps writing tablets could be one of several options required for accurate book-keeping...but egg decoration? Let's file that one away with bikini-waxing.

Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 07:28:00 am »

Candles! Because goodness knows this game needs even more complexity, so why not add illumination to the mix? Better quality candles last longer, and they can be made of either tallow or beeswax.

Ooh. And braziers (one bar of coke breaks up into X units of coal).
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 07:45:01 am »

(Wax uses)
First thought I had was for alchemical purposes.  Because not everything will happily sit in a glass vial.

The second thought I had (for no logical reason that I can work out) was for lubricating skis.  So it looks like I'll enjoy embarking/Adventuring on glaciers, in the future. :)

What else... House Of Wax, wax dolls, Ruby Wax, waxing gibbous.  Nope, the brain isn't being particularly lucid today, it seems.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:36 am »

Perhaps wax leftover from beehive processing will actually be like raw stone, instead of a block. That would mean that it could be made into crafts or even furniture.

Alternatively, it could still be a brick, but allow it to be processed in a craftdwarf's workshop.

But I must admit, I am intrigued by the possibilities, though I don't really know what they are yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5