Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Where are you going?  (Read 7148 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you going?
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38:56 am »

I would strongly recommend against that.  If lack of perspective is keeping you from exceeding yourself or knowing what you're going to school for, getting out of school probably won't help, no matter how temporary you insist it is to yourself.  Every friend I've had that left college "just for a semester" to reflect on what they wanted to do with themselves never went back.  Not because they actively decided they didn't need a degree, but because they just couldn't work up the gumption to jump into academic life/scheduling/bills again.
Very true.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:22 am »

I would strongly recommend against that.  If lack of perspective is keeping you from exceeding yourself or knowing what you're going to school for, getting out of school probably won't help, no matter how temporary you insist it is to yourself.  Every friend I've had that left college "just for a semester" to reflect on what they wanted to do with themselves never went back.  Not because they actively decided they didn't need a degree, but because they just couldn't work up the gumption to jump into academic life/scheduling/bills again.
Very true.

Well I have absolutely no experience in the area, so I'll take your advice under serious consideration. Believe me, it's not something I have been lightheartedly entertaining as a magic pill. I just know I'm pissing away an opportunity here because I lack conviction, and I want to figure out what I really want since it doesn't seem to be this.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 11:05:47 am »

Well, finding what you really want can take a lifetime. Don't wait for it.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:19 am »

Well, finding what you really want can take a lifetime. Don't wait for it.
I can see it and I'm waiting for it to come to me.
But it seems to go slower the longer I wait.
When I grow up, I want to be like Toady One.
You want to exist purely on an abstract plane, as a tool of furthering the happyness of yourself and others through writing videogames?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:36 pm »

I want to play bass in an awesome band.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »

I disagree. If you're going to school "just because" and not really caring about it then it's a waste of money. That being said, if you leave school you definitely should have some sort of plan, not just sit around and "reflect". By trying different jobs/living on your own/paying bill etc it gives you perspective on what you're aiming for after finishing school (what you want to pursue and avoid).

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »

By trying different jobs/living on your own/paying bill etc it gives you perspective on what you're aiming for after finishing school (what you want to pursue and avoid).

That's exactly my plan. I plan to support myself as far as I am capable, and actually have real responsibilities for that time period. I feel like I'm living in suspended animation right now.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »

You want to exist purely on an abstract plane, as a tool of furthering the happyness of yourself and others through writing videogames?

YES! Except, subsitute abstract plane with private jet and I'm all set!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm? :P

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »

If that's Toady One then he is twice twice the man I am  :D

Ah, no, It's Gabe. Who makes enjoyable games. Nah, I want a game that tortures you.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »

I'm not sure It's that much fun to ride a plane on the abstract plane,
Or that practical, really.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]