Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Where are you going?  (Read 7157 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you going?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 10:46:15 pm »

There's a difference between not having morals and saying that morals are not absolute principles but vary from person to person.

I know you weren't saying that, just pointing it out...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »

Because if I had the will power to actually do shit (what I call work ethic), then I might bed able to get the 1 or 2 % I miss.

@Zironic: I understand that highschool is, for the most part, easy, but I've got a feeling college isn't.
1 or 2 % is hardly worth the effort. Work Ethic isent for people with talent like yourself.

Quote from: uniman
This is not an evil thing though, and it's not me passing judgement. You cannot avoid this. It's a fact of life. We all do this, no matter who we are and it's completely necessary. If we have the same morals when we are grandparents as when we are 23 years old, we'd all be lunatics.
It is too bad that it really is an evil thing becuase it leads people to do evil deeds. Well mabey not always evil but selfish.

Interesting how you rationalize it like its not your choice and that everyone does it though, a little bit ironic too.

The truth is: if you hurt someone else to better yourself, you're violating the moral code we all know to be true.
Says Architect from the comfort of his nice warm seat in front of his computer screen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 10:49:32 pm »

I don't agree with it being a moral code that we all know to be true.  Morals vary from person to person, and in different circumstances.

Indeed.
Of course. Duh. What kind of silly folk doesn't know this.  8)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 10:54:24 pm »

I'd like to present a paradoxical belief I hold. All truths, even those considered to absolute, are relative. This is an absolute truth of the world.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 10:55:37 pm »

There is a difference between truth and fact by the way.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »

Oh heavens no Architect. I'm similair to you, and that is why I need to improve my work ethic. So far, I've not studied for a single test, spent more than 5 minutes on a single assignment, or taken anything home to do, except for what needed typed and printed out at home.
Then why do you need work eithic?

Because if I had the will power to actually do shit (what I call work ethic), then I might bed able to get the 1 or 2 % I miss.

@Zironic: I understand that highschool is, for the most part, easy, but I've got a feeling college isn't.

I'm in college. And it's not like highschool at all. It's 100% study based with almost no tedious homework. It's lovely on so many levels because now people are open about their likes of math and sciences.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »

The first is absolute and the other is relative to the knowledge of the population?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2009, 11:04:37 pm »

Well, before we get further into how morally corrupt our modern western culture is, let's just go back to the topic at hand. Got plans for your life?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »

The first is absolute and the other is relative to the knowledge of the population?
Yeah I think its that fact is absolute and truth is what someone believes is fact.

Like someone could be saying whats false except their telling the truth becuase they think its fact.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2009, 11:56:19 pm »

I'll re-rail with what I originally had in mind (before I went moody and nearly gave up on most of them).

Not in any particular order, all I need to be happy:
-A nice safe place to call home
-A job I can enjoy, regardless of income (as long as it pays the bills/rent)
-A group of buddies to hang out with when I feel like going out
-Staying in one piece (being plenty healthy suffices)
-A date once in awhile, or at least someone to hang out with
-My computer
-And a mode of transportation I can call mine (IE- Not be borrowed so constantly, it loses it's title as mine.)

As long as I have those; I can care less what else goes on.

Amazingly, running on fumes with some of those for so long, it's a miracle I'm still relatively sane. Then again, sanity is over-rated. Might as well toss that on the list.

-Insanity minus the judgment factor of peers (unless it's used as a complement; as well as a positive-effect insanity. Like creative insanity.) :P
-And something to occupy my time (artistic ideas, or a really good game)

I say I had a pretty good idea of what direction I wanted to take in life. Be happy, and whenever I could; help anyone else to get happy as well. Unlike most jackasses, I would actually help someone who asks for it, instead of kicking them into the ground. All too familiar with being on the receiving end of that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:06:10 am by Itnetlolor »

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:52 am »

Your judgment could just as easily be turned around. Perhaps the person with a single minded purpose from childhood to death is a "closet minded simpleton". As for me, I'm going to my grave, but in the mean time I like to understand new things and refrain from harming others. I like what Anne Sexton wrote: "Live or die, but don't poison everything."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 07:17:00 am »

Guys, can we put aside the intractable philosophizing about morals and judgment and get back to umiman's intent - sharing life goals and advice/commentary on them?  Some of us would enjoy a friendly conversation.

So, long story short, I'm a fairly accomplished but listless student of the Science of Politics.  I'm wracked with doubts about whether I actually have the spine to even keep up with, much less succeed in, the Real World, or whether the Real World is just a gussied up version of what I've always been doing.  I honestly don't know which possibility terrifies me more.

And here, I've managed to ramble for a couple pages without even getting the point of my re-rail.  I have no idea what I want to do in life.  I don't even know what I'm good at, because when left to my own devices, I just sit around doing nothing.  The only activities I have any real experience with are activities I've been more-or-less forced into, which doesn't lend itself to trying very hard or enjoying myself.

If I had to say I have an aptitude that I enjoy (besides cramming work at inopportune times, apparently), its collating experiences, mine or others, into a creative and entertaining package that I can present to people.  How I can square this with my love/synergy of politics I don't really know.  Past ideas included a curator, a documentarian, an off-beat reporter, a campaign worker of some form, or even a weird brand of politician.

I suppose more than anything I'd love to make video games, but lacking any ability (read: willingness to try) programing or art means I'd basically have to come up with the money to make other people produce my creative visions for me.  That's certainly a realistic option, and in the past I cooked up a lot of get-rich-quick schemes to hasten that along.  Obviously, I'm still here, so that didn't happen.  I briefly attempted (read: read about a couple times) running for a local office, so I could use the obscene salary as capital.  That's still a viable plan, but running to be public official to finance what's essentially an elaborate hobby strikes me as overcomplicated.

I'd probably be a crappy politician too.  I'm abusively self-critical, and unassertive and nonconfrontational to the point of irritation.  I have to really be pushed to say "this is how things will be and that's all there is to it", and I feel bad about no matter how right I am or how small the subject.  Heck, most of my experience at using my acquired knowledge has been in Internet Flamewars, which has been crappy experience for obvious reasons, but also because I normally just abandon the argument for lack of will to fight.  I don't know what I'd be like as a campaigner, and if I won I'm afraid I'd just be another hollow doormat.  Which is all really immaterial to the point of the video game thing, since all I'd want to be a politician for is the money (I'm don't care about being rich, I just have expensive hobbies, a hur hur hur).

So that's me in a nutshell.  I'm the kind of person that just falls into a job or situation by convenience, but I want to somehow fall into being a Congressman or Vidjagame CEO.  I want to accomplish things I can take pride in and leave my mark on the world, but I think leaving a mark at all is inherently rude, and I'm terrified of it being a bad mark.  But if nothing else, I have gotten a little focus and made a new resolution about what to do with my vacation, so thanks umiman.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 07:25:22 am »

Maybe you could use a period of reflection? I'm planning to ask my parents for a semester off because I'm in the same situation in my sophomore year, and I don't want to look up again in 3 years and find myself still lacking vocation (read literally: calling, not occupation) or direction.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 07:28:30 am »

I would strongly recommend against that.  If lack of perspective is keeping you from exceeding yourself or knowing what you're going to school for, getting out of school probably won't help, no matter how temporary you insist it is to yourself.  Every friend I've had that left college "just for a semester" to reflect on what they wanted to do with themselves never went back.  Not because they actively decided they didn't need a degree, but because they just couldn't work up the gumption to jump into academic life/scheduling/bills again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 07:45:48 am »

When I grow up, I want to be like Toady One.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6