Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I have a confession...  (Read 1880 times)

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a confession...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:02 am »

You think your cheating is bad? I modded it so my furnace dwarves can make adamantine from thin air, and they make 3 waffers at a time. I also made cave crocodiles trainable  ;D I like War Cave-Crocodiles, and the hunting ones too!
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 02:12:39 am »

I usually only keep electrum and steel on insta-create.
I will often make whatever creature I'm playing as speed 1.
Whenever you're building a giant bridge out of electrum, cheating helps.
I rarely turn off eating, sleeping, and drinking though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 06:55:21 am »

I haven't done the modded smelter reaction stuff yet though.

However, I do have a confession, I removed the aquifer tags from the raws and I just about always kill the imps and other magma critters using the raws.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:09 am »

Here I shall confess past sins. I haven't modded my current dwarf fortress setup, outside of the init file.

However, in the past I've modded the smelter with independant reactions to give me 10000 bricks of addy, coal, logs of feather wood,  star sapphires, rubies, or bauxite. This usually coincides with modding dwarves with the same tags gtmattz specified. I once modded in a bed reaction too, I think. Feather wood, of course.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:27:16 am »

I'm curious if anyone has tried this.

Has anyone ever swapped the raws of magma and water at all? I bet the results ought to be interesting.

Or even certain elements of either element. For example, water sets things ablaze, whereas magma freezes stuff. I dunno.

Danneh

• Bay Watcher
  • Witty Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 11:40:27 am »

I'm curious if anyone has tried this.

Has anyone ever swapped the raws of magma and water at all? I bet the results ought to be interesting.

Or even certain elements of either element. For example, water sets things ablaze, whereas magma freezes stuff. I dunno.

I believe liquids are hardcoded. Otherwise we'd have rivers of booze and blood popping up in mods every now and then.

I confess to removing aquifers, and all non sand soil, If only so I can skip the painful process of site finding. Having an awesome idea for a megaproject ruined simply because you don't feel like spending another hour genning sites to find one that actually has sand as well as everything else you're looking for is dissapointing. And aquifers... aquifers simply aren't fun.
Quote from:  Forumgoer
Out-of-Context Quote

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »

I believe liquids are hardcoded. Otherwise we'd have rivers of booze and blood popping up in mods every now and then.

I confess to removing aquifers, and all non sand soil, If only so I can skip the painful process of site finding. Having an awesome idea for a megaproject ruined simply because you don't feel like spending another hour genning sites to find one that actually has sand as well as everything else you're looking for is dissapointing. And aquifers... aquifers simply aren't fun.

I'll agree you can't do your best megaprojects on aquifers but aquifers can be a bunch of fun, if you use the correct multi-aquifer drilling techniques you can smash through an unlimited amount of layers quickly, and you feel cool doing it. Also, some of my best memories come from aquifer related hijinx; once, I breached HFS and they were swarming the mines, killing dozens. One brave dwarf attempted to remove a wooden wall holding back the aquifer while the surviving champions fought to protect him. He finally removed it and a flood of water washed down into the mines, almost saving the fort forever (one had snuck by before oops).
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:35 pm »

One map I'm playing is a single tile embark so I used tweak to get me a little bottomless pit and a source of water. When testing an idea I sometimes mod them to be robodwarves and I'd likely increase their speed if I got bad FPS, perhaps speed up all the creatures.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:51 pm »

I confess that I only savescum when the ensuing 'fun' would just be a tedious long slow demise, and for just plain really inconvinient things such as holing the river when I hid 'channel' instead of 'dig'.

I'm proud to have not savescummed when the pile of masterwork obsidian crafts melted due to a channeling accident.
Although that was barely losing; I contained the fire with a door, and clearing up the ensuing magma-y mess was rather engaging.

Although I do confess to clearing the magma pipe out to make it safer. Not very dwarven, but I didn't resort to cheating or anything to remove the imps; two got out, one got dog-ed, another swatted by a depressed champion (which cheered him up no end and probably saved the fort from a tantrum spiral), and two were shot by marksdorfs when they stuck their heads out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 01:36:00 am »

Personally, I think making animals tame/trainable isn't cheating.  It makes sense to me that anything can be trained if you try hard enough.

Plus, it's bloody awesome.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 02:06:23 am »

Personally, I think making animals tame/trainable isn't cheating.  It makes sense to me that anything can be trained if you try hard enough.

Plus, it's bloody awesome.
WAR KITTENS?!?!?

Honistly, I haven't cheated YET...but im concidering it if i cant find sand on my current fort...
That, or I was going to add some Magma since there isent any where I am..though it would be for experimentation for me only, as I have enough damn tree's to make charcol forever..

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 10:02:13 am »

The only modding I've done so far is to turn all standard DF megabeasts into semi-megabeasts and add a whole series of Ancient, Greater or massive creatures to replace them IE Greater Demons, Ancient Dragons, ETC.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!
Pages: 1 [2]