Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Pest Control Edition! [Open! - Turn 0]  (Read 305 times)

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
Risky Ventures: Pest Control Edition! [Open! - Turn 0]
« on: June 28, 2024, 03:56:36 pm »

~RISKY VENTURES: PEST CONTROL EDITION~
Inspired by evictedSaint, NUKE9.13, KASHYYK, A1S and Draignean

It is 1983. The dilapidated town of Knobble-on-Hillock has all but been forgotten about by the roar of modern Britain. Smokestacks once brimming above busy factories have been left to rot. Trash fills the streets in overflowing binbags as the failing Council shirks its duties. The working folk who live here are mostly on the dole, and spend their time daydrinking as they lament the state of their dilapidated cold, moldly homes.

But the winds of change are blowing: Local legend and self made millionaire Rian Borneo has returned to retire in the place where he was born. Horrified by the state this sleepy town has gotten to, he has taken a place on the city council and promised to literally clean up the streets.

With a guiding hand on the pursestrings of the borough - and a cash injection from this local celebrity - everyone and his dog can sense it: Opportunity. A market about to explode. You see, Knobble-on-Hillock has a problem: after years of abandonment and dilapidation, it's infested. For every street that gets clean and every house that gets renovated, there's a rat or termite problem with no one to sort it... and there's plenty of money being poured in, ready to be claimed.

And that's where you come in. Any man with a van, bag and a pointy stick could qualify to get some of the incentive cash being thrown around. Will you step up to the challenge?

What is This?
This is a Risky Ventures-adjacent style game about running a Pest Control Company in a fictional 1980s world, set in a sleepy British town called Knobble-On-Hillock. Hire staff, buy transport and tools; and go to properties to clear out their pest problems. Get paid and upgrade.

Anyone can join this game at any time. The beautiful thing about Risky Ventures is there is room for plenty for creative moneymaking strategies, so keep an eye on your fellow players and don't be afraid to interact or try something new.
This game is also Lazy Faire, meaning I will be exceptionally lazy and do as little work as I can get away with to make this forum game run. This means you will be required to keep track of your company, your inventory, your staff, and any agreements you have with other players. While I have run the numbers on how I expect the game to develop, going live always brings new situations. I reserve the right to adapt pricing or bonk really game-breaking bugs on the head if they rear their ugly head. Otherwise, I will be very hands off. Have fun : )

How to Play? - Quickstart
Scout >> Send >> Discover >> Exterminate >> Profit

You are a Pest Control Company with 3 Doubloons burning a hole in your pocket. You are qualified to perform basic Pest Control, and your Head Office is located in the Town Center.

You may use those 3 Doubloons to hire Staff to send out on jobs. You may use those Doubloons to buy equipment or a vehicle. With 3 Doubloons, you will not be able to buy everything in the first turn. Choose wisely and work with other players to ensure your first mission is successful. It is recommended to draft up contracts with players so everyone is on the same page. These contracts can look however you like, and you can be involved in multiple ventures as you see fit.

After naming your staff send them out on Location. They will Scout for job sites that need some pest control. Your staff will need to Discover and identify the type of pest. Once confident in their assumption, they will need to Eradicate the pest with the tools available to them. The knowledge you obtain along the way will be pivotal in determining the correct eradication method to use. 

Different Pests have different identifying Traits. Build up your knowledge as your staff become more experienced, upgrade your items and vehicle fleets, and complete jobs in new locations to unlock new possibilities. Random events may affect your jobs or company and some pests can be tricky or outright dangerous - but profit is always available to be made by the prepared or the brave.

>>> To join, please use the below. <<<
Spoiler: Company Name (click to show/hide)

Finally, when you make an action in game, please put ACTACTACT at the start of your command in bold. E.g:
ACTACTACT: HappyHuntersCorp BIDS 3D on #Staff-452.

Mechanics
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SCOUTing a Job (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SEND to Work (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: DISCOVER the Pest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ERADICATE the Pest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Getting Paid (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Companies?! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 06:30:07 am by SCREE »

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
Further Information
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 03:58:12 pm »

Spoiler: Action Keywords (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terminology (click to show/hide)

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
Codex
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 03:59:29 pm »

Spoiler: Codex (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 06:07:00 am by SCREE »

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Pest Control Edition!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 03:59:54 pm »

This Thread is now Open for Business

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Pest Control Edition! [Open]
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 04:48:03 pm »

Happy Crab Exterminators are open for business!  I am accepting loans and/or partnerships with any other interested Exterminators out there.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 04:58:54 pm »

Spoiler: PPP (click to show/hide)
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 06:03:00 pm »

Spoiler: NUS (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 08:44:14 pm »

she/her

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 05:20:06 am »

Spoiler: KashKow Enterprises (click to show/hide)

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 06:29:15 am »

TURNTURNTURN
Turn 0
╚═━┈┈━═╝

♬ January 1983 - Week 1 ♬
The weather today is mild and gloomy with light showers.

= Breaking News =
Eccentric Millionaire Rian Borneo has returned to his roots and settled down in Knobble-On-Hillock to enjoy his retirement. The old Manor up on Knobble Hill is finally occupied! Brendan has expressed displeasure at the recent abandonment of small working towns by the government, and the breakdown of core services. "It's sad to see the town I grew up in become so dilapidated," Rian lamented, "with the time I have left I hope to do some good."

It seems Rian has started discussions with the local council to incentivize businesses to help clear the streets of trash and rejuvenate old buildings that have been left abandoned.

In other news, the price of petrol is still low.

=Locations=
Town Center [4]
New Estate [2]

Cost of Travel
Town Center - Everyone has their Head Office here, no cost.
New Estate - 1D Travel Expenses.

Spoiler: Recruitable Staff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Store (click to show/hide)

Note: All Turns marked with TURNTURNTURN for ease of searching. Remember to use ACTACTACT to set your action in stone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 12:28:06 pm by SCREE »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Pest Control Edition! [Open! - Turn 0]
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 08:55:25 am »

ACTACTACT BID(?) 3d on Staff 001, name them "Beewax"
ACTACTACT Beewax SCOUTS the Town Center
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 10:59:12 am by Crystalizedmire »
she/her

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 11:31:01 am »

ACTACTACT:
 - BID 3D on Staff 003
 - SCOUT the Town Center with Staff 003

Spoiler: KashKow Enterprises (click to show/hide)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 01:23:41 pm »

Loans Open- expect back 1.5x loaned Doubloons value, rounded up- within five weeks, if not able to be paid in time- will demand double that in "value".
Spoiler: NUS (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2024, 04:04:47 am »

"Excellent"
Lord Jack sees this town is ripe for exploitation.