Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Healing the wounded.  (Read 2840 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Healing the wounded.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »

I had a brown lower spine injury on my legendary miner/legendary engraver which he had ignored for many years and seemed to have no problem with, but right after I updated to the new version of Dwarf Fortress I noticed it was healed.
Further, my mayor had a red wound from wrestling with a snakeman and had been in bed for years, and I noticed recently shortly after updating to the new version that he was completely healed as well.
Considering what I've heard about spinal injuries never healing along with not seeing any wounded dwarves after the update, I'm thinking the update process healed all my dwarves when it converted the old saved game.

On a somewhat related story:
My Trade Minister had to have a little educational starvation, but I swear I seem to have straightened him out.

In my game he started asking for platinum items. Problem was, I had dug in a crisscross pattern 3 screens north and south between the chasm and magma river, and couldn't find platinum. Finally I spotted some across the lava river, so... what the heck, I built a steel bridge and set my guys to only dig along the edge next to the magma river in order to avoid the pits. Of course by the time I got near that platinum vein, his mandate was expired and he ordered a hammering for my best metalsmith. This at the time I'm trying to focus on cranking out steel equipment. Naturally, the hammering caused a red wound which has left my best metalsmith unable to work for many years. I almost killed the bastard then, but being the nice guy I am, I decided to let it slide.
After a very short time, he again mandated 2 platinum items. I held my temper and made a couple of platinum bars out of the ore I'd just gotten from across the lava river. I was absolutely not going to dig further into the vein for fear of unleashing demons. He was happy for a few days, then what do you know, he mandated two more platinum items. I made a statue and a craft to satisfy him. Did it work? No, another few days and he yet again asked for two platinum items. The dwarf was obsessed. I'd had enough, so I waited until he went to his room and locked him in there.
After a while, I noticed a message that he was hunting for vermin to eat. I also noticed that his mandate for platinum items had disappeared (I sure didn't fulfill it) and nobody had been punished for it. So, I let him out and swore to show no further mercy if he came up with any more ridiculous demands. A few years have passed since then. The only other mandate he has given after that was for a few felsite items, and that was a few seasons after his starvation.
I actually feel like I had a hand in reforming him.  ;)

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2006, 12:46:00 am »

To all who have avenged the common dwarf against the tyrannical nobles: You are heroes.

Up with the proletariat!

A HREF="http://www.adventuresofbrian.org<BR>">www.adventuresofbrian.org
 My Personal Exercise in Futility

"oh, but the knobby ends can all bite in yours, so it''s like... more advanced tentacle demons where they have lil mouths."
-Toady One

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2006, 10:39:00 am »

I always let my nobles be beaten by monsters before the others come help them. They tend to calm down a bit and cause less trouble when they are missing an arm.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]