Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Healing the wounded.  (Read 2836 times)

sanch3x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Healing the wounded.
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »

Okay so I decided to let my hunter to his job because my population was getting a little big for my first winter and I figured him getting killed hunting wouldn't be such a big deal. Lucky for me the dwarf was quite skilled and managed to present me with a lot of meat. All this to say that I was sad that he go a mangled arm (red) after killing two unicorns and harming one.

I figured that he'd just go crazy but to my surprise I managed to keep him happy for a very long time. He hasn't had a tantrum nor is he starving.

It seems that his pet (a hunting dog I assigned to him) and the various cats that roam the fortress keep him happy.

Why am I posting this in a new thread? Well it seems that the only advice on how to deal with wounded dwarves is to kill them. If you have a legendary dwarf who is wounded it is a pity to lose them to insanity... so instead assign them a pet and make sure you have a few dwarves who don't have a main job and keep their healthcare.

So maybe some could add advice on how to keep them happy and/or make them heal faster? In the wounded menu it seems that they can be in pain, is there a way to alleviate this pain?

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Healing the wounded.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 04:31:00 am »

I understand that beds that haven't been made rooms (that is, neither barracks nor quarters) make the dwarves heal faster. It seemed to work, but I haven't tested it that much.
Janne )`*

Zake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »

That still doesn't keep them from tantrum-ing all the time.  Perhaps pets are a good idea- therapeutic.

Nonetheless, it'd still be nice if we could have doctor-dwarves some way or another (or perhaps alchemists producing health potions?).    Dwarf recovery is ridiculously messy, slow, and spammy.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »

I found that simply having a lot of buckets and food, so they're often fed/watered helps a lot.

Usually most of my injuries are in the military, and because they have nothing better to do they're all best buddies. So friends visiting helps a lot as well.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:18:00 am »

The biggest obstacle to healing is unconciousness.  If a dwarf is so badly injured that they're unconcious, then they're as good as dead (and as bad as berserk).

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »

just wait till those silly pets die of old age.. en masse!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »

Unconsciousness should really speed up healing and count as sleep as long as the dwarf is safely in a bed.  Even for a human that much is true, and dwarves are supposed to be extra-tough...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »

I'm having fun seeing how long I can drag out the nursing of one of my wounded:

It seems that in the first wave of nobles, when the sherriff arrived, I was slow in fulfilling a mandate to produce granite items.

The affronted noble complained to the sherrif, who set out to administer a beating.  To my Legendary Mason.  Legendary, I might add, earned the hard way: Making furniture.

So, the weedy little noble tackles my Ultra-Strong, Very tough, perfectly agile worker, and retreats to his room, nursing a red lower arm injury.  He's been there ever since.  It's been over two years.  I'd estimate I've received on the order of a hundred thousand "Captain of the Guard cancels a beating: Unconscious" messages since then.  I think it would feel lonely without them.

As a side note, he flashes a yellow plus sign wound marker, even though he carries a red wound.  Something to do with toughness?

Anyhow, I'd have sealed the purple guy up in his room and starved him to death if I was sure I'd get a replacement.  Besides, the fortress seems to work fine without him.  And his replacement would only go and pick a fight with the still-unchastened Mason.

[ September 28, 2006: Message edited by: Doctor Lucky ]

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 09:15:00 am »

I can beat that: In about 1053, a lumberjack dwarf and his loyal war dog were out cutting down trees when an animal of some sort took offense and a battle broke out. The dwarf lost his leg and fell unconscious. The dog was similarly maimed, but worse.

The dwarf was hauled to bed by a concerned dwarf, where he began to live out the rest of his days infirm (he still hasn't left bed, but neither is he crazy). The dog, however, was just left out in the wild, unconscious.

It's now 1056. The war dog, with two red limbs and one missing one, constantly collapsing into unconsciousness, has finally, finally crawled his way back to the fort, back through the entry hall, over the river, through the storage area, over the chasm, down the hall, and into his master's room.

NotQuiteSure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »

Whats the worst damage dwarf heals?

Because I had this dwarf hurt by werewolf(around 6 grey,3 yellow wounds) and I moved him to "hospital".
He was there for like 5 seconds,I check his thoughts-looks like he recuperated,so I check his wounds,and like wtf?-he had only 1 yellow!

Man,those frre beds alongside cave river work like a charm for me...and since I just made my first attemp to build in terryfiyng area,I will surely need this!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »

I've only seen broken bones heal.  I've had a dwarf healing his mangled arm for around 4 years now =[

I'm hoping he'll eventually rejoin his squad someday.  He saved a bunch of my dwarves from death.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

I had a dwarf wounded slightly (just a grey wound) in the head by a racoon. He has since "recovered" in that his wounds screen is normal but he keeps falling unconscious. Like every 20 seconds. He is unable to complete any task. Will be eventually get over this or is he boned for life?

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 01:06:00 am »

Ahh, mystery solved. He still has a grey wound to the eye and neck. Hence all the passing out. I wish the guy would just stay in bed and get healed though. I don't mind waitin' as long as he gets better.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 02:40:00 am »

A dwarf in my fort, aptly nicknamed 'Sleepy', got a red wound on his left lung when he was a kid. Needless to say, he never went to rest it out (not that a red wound gets any help from rest) and to this day falls unconscious halfway through doing anything.

Tapper12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 03:58:00 am »

I had a professional carpenter get a red wound in his lower right leg during a goblin siege in 1053. Since I hate killing my dwarves I just left him in his bed forever. I never expected him to heal, but when I suddently checked him out around year 1064 I noticed his wound had turned yellow. A year later he was fully healed again. The same thing happened to another dwarf who got wounded early.

So it seems dwarves are able to heal red wounds if you just keep them happy and resting for a extremely long time(10+ years).

Pages: [1] 2 3 4