Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Aira Plays Blightfall: My new LP on Youtube - Custom Music! Shaders! Good Times!  (Read 19468 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Thanks! Looks like I need to get some oureclase for even more reasons now. I've definitely seen slimes spawning in the swamp now and then, even on the tainted lands, so I think it should be possible to get slime stuff soon-ish, though obviously it would be a lot better to have a sapling. I think I'll grind up some prometheum to hand in to the black market dude, since that seems to be a good way of getting supplies without having to spend all my mission outlook. I also think that the next time I do a big mining trip, I will just cut to the interesting parts and save the time in the video for more interesting stuff. I can't imagine anyone is really going "yeah! strip mining! I want to watch hours of this!"

Also, this is odd: episode 7 has way more views that episode 6. Weird.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just remembered that plastic is also an early game material. No idea how it'll do as a bolt material, but it should make a decent bow limb - any metal limb you cast is going to have a horrible draw speed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Yeah, plastic makes for great bow limbs. Really high draw speed, which is probably the most important stat on a bow. Also a good use for some of that redstone you've picked up.

As for a weapon, I'm fond of cleavers myself. Lots of damage and a powerful one can one-shot most enemies. Also an improved chance to decapitate stuff. No idea if that's helpful in this modpack or not, though.

Have you though about making an underground tree farm below your dome for extra wood/food supplies? You have that apple, so you *should* be able to make an apple tree if this mod didn't remove that ability. An apple farm would be a great source of wood and food.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Anyone know off the top of their head where I find plastic in this pack? I don't recall seeing any rubber trees in the swamp.

I've thought about the cleaver, but I think maybe it's best if I get a fast weapon, something I can just spam-click, since my timing in combat is atrocious and I frequently miss... Although I suppose the mob heads would be helpful when I get to advanced Thaumcraft...

The next episode is ready and will be uploaded tomorrow. For the one after that, I plan to do some exploring. :) Maybe I'll do some more strip mining to find oureclase, but if so, I'll either massively speed it up or just cut it, since it doesn't seem to be very interesting or worth keeping and I don't want to suck up the whole video with it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Personally I don't mind the mining too much. Although really I just like listening to you talk. You have a very soothing voice, so while you're chatting about what you're doing and what plans you have and whatnot I don't particularly care what you're physically doing in game at that time. Of course I realize that at a certain point you just run out of stuff to say, though, especially if all you're doing is mining for ages.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are no natural rubber trees, but you might get a sapling. Or, since you don't need much, you can craft rubber out of eight bitumen, which you can mine under the swamp. Plastic limbs look like a slight upgrade over blue slime ones, although pink slime is still better.

As for the cleaver, I don't think any of the tainted mobs actually drop heads so it would be mostly pointless. Huge damage but way to slow. Not sure what uses thaumcraft has for heads, but if you just want stabilizers for your infusion altar, tallow candles are easy enough to make.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:36:00 pm by andrewas »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Is it possible to get pink slime in this pack? Where/how do I get that? I'll see what I can figure out for plastic - that would be good, too, though I'd need lots of plastic for repairs. I'll definitely upgrade to slime fairly soon, now that I'm fairly well kitted out and ready to explore.

In other news, video 8 is out! The crossbow has been completed, and several chicken bastards have been eliminated. ;) As always, feedback, especially suggestions/corrections, is very welcome.

https://youtu.be/GQ-tauXc6Ec

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pink slime is from MFR, so you'll need plastic. You'll also need a power source, most of the convenient ones are disabled but you can use a mana fluxfield to generate RF from mana, if you don't want to set up a nuclear reactor right away.

To generate pink slime, you need to kill livestock - cows are best - with an MFR slaughterhouse. That'll produce liquid meat  and pink slime. Pipe those to seperate tanks, and collect enough pink slime to fill a bucket. Empty that bucket into the world and a pink slime will spawn. Kill that, preferably with a looting sword, and you'll hopefully get pink slime balls. You'll need a lot of livestock to generate enough slime, so an MFR autofarm will be handy. That consists of a breeding field, a maturation field and a slaughtering field. Two chronotypers are set to pull the young into the maturation field and then the adults into the slaughter field. An MFR breeder will auto-breed the cows in the breeding field but needs a supply of wheat to do so, a thaumcraft lamp of fertility will do the same with a supply of Victus, I think theres a blood magic ritual that can do it as well.

(you can also do this more quickly with an auto spawner, but you need a supply of mob essence which means you need to feed mobs to a grinder - a vanilla spawner will do it, cursed earth spawners are better if you can find a division sigil. There is at least one in the world but I have no idea where I found it.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Just wanted to say that like Mephansteras I find your voice and music very soothing, and I will happily watch hours of strip mining for that (well, doing something else at the same time of course). But then, I guess it's not very interesting for you either.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

That sounds like a lot more work than I really want to do. Is the advantage really that high? I hadn't planned on using any more tech than necessary. It's not my thing and I don't understand it well. For now I'll plan to kill slimes in the swamp and use whatever color they give me. :P I'm hoping to avoid doing much more combat than I have to anyway, and I plan to start pushing back the taint in a big way sooner than people expect...

And huge thanks to you guys for the compliments on my voice! I really hate hearing my own voice, though I suppose most people do. I do a lot of recording for the audio CDs that accompany the magazine I write for (educational magazine for students studying English) and after we record I have to hear it over and over and over again as the soundmaster mixes it all... *shudder* So it's really reassuring to hear that my voice isn't as grating and horrible as it sounds to me!

The current plan, then, is to either super-fast-forward or just cut the strip-mining (aside from anything interesting that happens) and focus on other things, which I will be more verbal about anyway. Strip mining I tend to fall silent with nothing interesting to say. I just go on autopilot and hope it will end soon. :P I'd like to get that oureclase before continuing, but I'm not about to devote more episodes to it. I have an adventure planned! With surprises!

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's gives you a little more arrow speed, which may be the difference between one shotting a taint swarm and taking two shots. It also gets a little more range. But it's probably not worth it if you aren't getting into tech beyond the bare minimum.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strip mining is boring so please do feel free to cut it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

So many dead taint beasts, so many....
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]