Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52390 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V 1.9.2 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2012, 04:32:14 am »

Woo, managed to get to 5 years!

You can see some of the features, bins made of rock, good for avoiding the smelter fires! Forges in separate rooms with doors and paved corridors, good for avoiding smelter fires! Nah, but it's not all about the smelter fires, I've got over 200 dwarves and about 75 animals and the FPS is around 40 on a 2.4ghz CPU so not bad going.

I didn't have any iron in this embark but there was plenty of cobalt, copper and silver. The copper was the easiest to smelt so I started with that outfitting my dudes until I could get my cobalt production working with the arc furnaces, then using the metallurgist I made billion out of the silver and copper and used that to make super effective welded patterned cobalt armour for my 20 close combat dwarves.   

You can just see my refuse pile with a crematorium in the bottom right, still burning through the remains of the massive battle. I ordered a bunch of dragons off the elves and they showed up with 6 in cages when suddenly I was attacked by automations (mechanical men) riding sauropods! My golems and mastiffs stationed around the gate kept the forerunners out while I closed the hatches to turn turtle. The caravan and war sauropods clashed releasing the dragons and the ensuing fire storm burnt across almost the whole surface of the map wiping out almost all of both sides! I came out to finish off the rest of the invaders but all that survived was some clockwork parts, some iron statues and a load of body parts which I'm still working my way through.

You can also see the boneyard bottom left, used for making bone furniture. Some of the the other magma forges in the top like the golem forge and the Temple of Armok. There is also the gem forges which I didn't get to playing with much. Actually I think I barely got through a 3rd of the features in this 5 year game.

So in all I'd say it was a brilliant mod, still got a few issues which I've made note of on the materwork forum but it's definitely playable. All I'd say is if you want to play this mod then embark with a couple of wards chosen from the pets menu and keep them safe until you figure out what you're supposed to do with them. Like at his point I've had to shut out a dwarf caravan because they have plague and I don't have any wards which I'd need to treat the plague.

If the mod ever settles down for a while I'd be glad to write a walk through new players guide to help illustrate the features.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:46:46 am by SAFry »

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2012, 06:46:54 pm »

If the mod ever settles down for a while I'd be glad to write a walk through new players guide to help illustrate the features.
That would be appreciated, the mod is currently in bug-fix+cleanup mode so should be pretty stable the next several months.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »

This mod. Its the mod...I always wanted.. I love the creaters. To death, I will sacrafice X amount of kittens for you.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2012, 10:51:45 pm »

So I want to share my copper sword golem's story.   I'm not sure I've gotten to a five year fort because of the frequent updates, but I do have a golem story to trade.

Ushat Nomalnadak was one of a few golems that arrived with migrants to the two year old glacial fortress of Ingishosdin.  With its thick metal skin Ushat was quickly assigned to outdoor watch duty, where if it had a bad thought about the frequent snowstorms, he never did deign to mention it.  He was primarily assigned as a thief trap - he was stationed so thieves could just get by it, but then later be spotted by roaming mastiffs guarding the inner entrance, at which point the fleeing thief had to make it by Ushat.  He already had one kobold kill to his credit.  It was only the faintest hint of what was to come.

In the spring of 213, Ingishosdin suffered its first overland ambush by greater badgermen and dreaded honey badgermen.  Ushat was the poor target of the ambush, as a Honey Badgerwoman Spearman rose up suddenly out of the driving snow a mere 4 tiles away, riding a fearsome Giant Queen Ant, Osmoz.  Not far behind, 15 badgermen lashers, instantly enraging as badgermen are known to do.  Ushat only has time to clang his palm loudly upon his copper breast, sounding the alarm - but it will be precious minutes before help will arrive from the depths.  He is on his own to keep 17 combatants at bay, his questionable life to be spent buying precious seconds of organized defense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The spearwoman does not last long - a lucky early strike from Ushat bats the heavy gold spear from her hand.  Osmuz the giant ant latches onto Ushat's toe, but Ushat breaks this poorly chosen grip and shortly after strikes the spearwoman in the head, shattering her skull.  As the rest of the lashers pour over him in howling rage, Ushat proceeds to calmly chop one leg after another from Osmuz, until the ant falls over dead.

High above the battle, I confess I gave up on poor Ushat.  I turned my attention to my little dwarves, stationing my 10 man axe squad indoors and grouping them up first, not wanting them to stream out in dribs and drabs.  My marksdwarves were sent to the battlements overlooking the fight, but they were a new squad and poorly equipped.  The few that arrived offered only a thin stream of fire into the fray, with mere bone bolts that cause more pain than harm.

With my melee dwarves finally ready, I noticed that the roiling ball of badgermen had not progressed passed Ushat's station.  Watching carefully, I am surprised to see Ushat blinking red for a moment on one of the tiles, before disappearing under a steady stream of badger icons.  He's still alive?  I check screens, and there he is with 6 screens of combat text, still trucking.  He is covered in blood.  His body part listing is nearly all red, with some yellow.  He has killed 7 hostiles out of 17, and there are four unconscious ones.  One moment I was 'alas poor Ushat'; and the next, my melee squad is charging out screaming 'Ushat, save some for us!'.

Spoiler: Ushat's kill list (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ushat's broken body (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The End (click to show/hide)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V 1.7.2 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:11 am »

as for the 5 year challenge, no problem. because i can make materials easier now i don't need to dig useless spaces.  it doesn't even feel cheaty since buying out caravans is easy with food already; not that i really buy anything. after the 3rd or 4th time anyways.  if you could too fix the price of food so that it would use 2..3 times the resources it does now, df might start to feel balanced!

thanks for all the great work!

Not sure if I'm following correctly, but if the idea is that in general "getting enough food" is too easy in DF, I could recommend incorporating the Seasonal Crops Mod in (Also recommend upping the Farmer skill rate to 400% or so to offset the reduced amount and frequency of planting/harvesting they'll be doing).

I guess it's sort of roundabout, but ever since I've used Seasonal Crops as a standard mod, getting enough food the first few years has always been satisfyingly challenging.  It requires a greater investment in numbers of farmers, farmspace, and seeds.  This in turn leaves less labour available for everything else, like mass-producing crafts so I find it helps to balances things down nicely.  Not to mention that a tiny plot with 1 farmer feeding a whole fortress has always looked very unrealistic in vanilla DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2012, 09:04:18 pm »

I already have a harder farming option, and lowered the number of eggs considerably. But I want to make food even harder to be honest, the massive caravans with 3-4wagons just bring too much. I think I should just make it harder to produce,and then raise its value as well,to reflect that change.

This mod. Its the mod...I always wanted.. I love the creaters. To death, I will sacrafice X amount of kittens for you.
Thank you. I will redirect 50% of the kittens to the community if you dont mind, because this has by no means be my work alone.

@saFRY: Thanks for the report, I saw the list you posted in the main thread a while back.

@werdna: Again, nice story. At some point I really needsomeone to paint some of the stuff that happens. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

I will consider doing this challenge and let you know of the results. It just may take a little while as I've busy with a few other things.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »

Just a note here: Mod has been updated to 34.11. Bugfix version only, no new features.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V 1.9.3 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:12 am »

Again, a new update, 1.9.4 is out. Mostly minor fixes and balancing, and some features that have been requested by the community. Link is, as always, found in my signature. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »

Yeah, triple post necro spam attack, but for a reason at least...

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress V.2

- Bugfixes, Balancing, 34 new GUI Options
- New Designs, Names and Categories for Workshops
- Updated therapist & dfhack, with custom plugins
- Power-generating workshop, the Steam Engine
- Coat weapons and ammo with poison
- Fully playable race: Orcs
- Manually controllable siege engines
- Create water and magma in workshops
- Dynamite-ammo for massive AoE damage
- Specific megabeast rewards and trophies, catch slaughter them all.
- More workshops: Sawmill, Finishing Forge, Blast Furnace, Slaughterhouse...
- Overhaul of Alchemy, Chemistry and Transmutation Systems

Major Changes/Additions:

Orc Fortress
Forumthread: Here
- Play as proud taiga orcs.
- Includes sprites, workshops, caste system, magic, new game mechanics...
- Ally yourself with golbins, giants and warlocks...
- Fight against dwarves, elves and humans...

GUI
- Updated GUI, 34 new options.
- Bigger control over which buildings you enable/disable.
- Switch from dwarves to orcs.

dfhack r2
Forumthread: Here
- Fixes hardcoded bugs.
- Allows manual control of siege engines.
- Adds search function to stock screen and pastures.
- Addes more mouse functions, easier contructions and better workflow plugin
- Custom: construction helper, pasture and mouse query, extended workflow, extended search
- Note: Takes slightly longer on startup and closing, at least on my netbook.

Slaughterhouse
- Each megabeast leaves a unique corpse.
- Butcher the megabeast in the slaughterhouse for your rewards
- 1. a trophy to put in your display cases, or use as tradegood
- 2. a skill aether that turns one skill into legendary immediatly
- 3. a unique reward specific to the beast you killed... dragonscale armor, manticore poison and more...

Steam Engine & Magma Steam Engine
- A workshop that creates power.
- Connect the axles/gears at the top left or right corner.
- Needs to be build above a "downstairs" to water.
- Needs fuel or magma for one activation.

Sawmill
- Little brother of the timberyard
- Cut your wood logs into 4 wood planks/blocks
- Start contructing your wooden aboveground fortress today!

The Return of the Blast Furnace
- Because I was asked so often: Where is it gone?
- Allows mass smelting of ore.
- Allows mass production of fuel.

Water/Magma Source
- Spawn your own liquids at the Spawn Location.
- Create unlimited water with the tear of armok.
- Create unlimited magma with the blood of armok.
- Transport water from the fishpond or fountain.
- Transport magma from the magma smelter.
- Note: You have to deconstruct the Spawn Location to release the liquid.

Transmutation Cycle
- Transmute 2bars of any metal into 1,5bars of the next best.
- Needs flux to work.
- This enables to obtain every metal type on each map... for a cost.

Alchemy and Chemistry
- Coat weapons and ammo with different poisons.
- Create exploding ammo, one good hit will defeat an invasion.

No Manual
- Horrible outdated building guides!
- Fumble your own way through a unique experience!
- Note: I have neither dreamweaver nor the last version of the html manual with me. So... good luck, I guess...

Full Changelog:

Bugfixes

User Friendliness

Balancing

Additions

Special thanks to:
- Deon, because I blatantly stole the bitterroot/shadowleaf poisons for testing purposes.
- Falconne, for his dfhack plugins. Seriously, check them out.
- My brain, for keeping me awake till this was finished.
- You guys, for showing the patience. First update in 3 months, yeah. *dead.

Personal note:
- This entire thing is pretty much untested. I run 2 very short test forts, checked the errorlogs, did debugging on the GUI, but havent run every single reaction one by one. I do hope that I killed more bugs then I created, and wish everyone happy bug-hunting :)
I do know of one cosmetic bug in the GUI: If you enable orcs, close the gui and reopen it, the logo will still show a dwarf. The button will correctly show that you selected orcs however, so this is a very minor concern.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]