Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52396 times)

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V 1.7 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2012, 01:18:20 pm »

Challenge accepted.
Add magma? Why the hell not?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

I've played a couple 5 year forts now, trying different things such as:

* Timbermill and tree-farm equipped embark in a badlands.  worked great, still have to import wood but the mill gets you through through between caravans.  I still agree requirement of blocks for rock bins is a good idea, it's not *too* hard to get them but gives some incentive to have wood).  Experienced FUN initiated by Burning skulls and resulting tantrum spiral (even though they're no longer impossible to kill, they're still quite dangerous if you don't design your fort specifically to be fire safe.  much more dangerous than the other Skull types).  A Shadowmancer migrant seemed to turn the tides, he killed off a goblin siege almost single handedly, but then he helped set up the WORST dwarven hospital i've ever seen.  Not only did no patients survive, but he'd raise them from the dead, kill them again, and throw them in a unmarked mass grave.  Later he got a vampire nurse as an assistant.  Together they must have killed about 25 patients.  They eventually went down to a seige with multiple elite bowgoblins, so overall i'll call this fort a success.

* Miner embark, straight for the 2nd cavern, using nether-wood leather and crystal pikes.  It's an interesting risk/reward, the equipment is pretty decent and once you've carved out a safe spot you just have to harvest it easily, but the caverns aren't totally safe.  Experienced FUN by delving too deep trying to test the new temples.

* Craftsman embark, trade mastercraft goods ASAP for Slade turrets, drakes, the new Trade goods of steel bars / armor / etc.  Works like a charm.  No need for deep mining, just need a bit of silver for runes / armor plates.  Orc, goblin, frogmen sieging so far but no problem.  The turrets nicely fire at different Z levels and through fortifications with no pathing problems.  Trap components upgraded at the engineer's shop are powerful but the balance seems OK, with the amount of cloth required and the multi steps to make them.  But they're brutal once they're installed.  Again, the closest we came to trouble was burning skulls.

There might be a bug, that it seems able to always train Siege operation at the War Library even without books, and I saw a guy there reading a Toy Merfolk Farm.  Didn't yet try to track this one down in the details.

Furniture workshop and other Batch operations, although I don't use them too much early on  it seems a nice option once the fort starts to get big (I used some of the fix discussed in the main thread to avoid the 150x bug).

Bladed crossbows get material from the bayonet was pretty key fix, very nice.

It seems really hard to notice any skill increase happen from using the libraries, especially considering the amount of resources and complexity the books consume.  It would be OK except that none of the objects are convenient to stockpile so it's very hard to set up a recurring "library industry".

Leather stockpiles don't seem to obey when I say to not stockpile lamellar in the main pile.

(edit)

Oh, caverns.  I really like the 1st and 2nd cavern overhaul, but I find that I really don't want to open up the 3rd cavern any more.  Two reasons, one is simply aesthetic, the writhing worms getting into all the soil layers. The second is a real reason.  once the fire trees start growing everywhere, it's quite dangerous to harvest trees even in the soil layers of your fort.  So there's a really strong disincentive to even explore deep parts of the map, almost enough to be not worth looking for magma because it's such a pain if you happen to breach that cavern.  I was inclined to dislike the facehugger vermin, but to be honest i saw them, but didn't notice any effects.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:49:51 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

Thanks for the reports, you really help a lot. I never thought about fire trees growing everywhere, and I noticed the magma worms looking out of place in the upper levels as well. Will do some remodelling of the 3rd cavern, but great to see that the 1st/2nd are working.

I laughed out loud when I read about your hospital, great story :) I might do some work today and tomorrow, so except some posts later.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »

Okay officially starting now. Did a few test forts, to get familiar. Embarking on a flat sand desert, crafter profile. Let's do this... Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrist... McDwarrrrrfffyyy!!!  :P
Add magma? Why the hell not?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

Good luck :)

My last fort was in a fuel-less, tree-less, plant-less and water-less neutral embark, with a cave in the middle. Good times.

Right now I play on a pre-build human fortress, the lady (friendly) is still there, and the walls and towers are setup already. Very nice.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2012, 06:18:55 am »

Well in what must be only the second year a large amount of undead turned up!

The fort fell but only 1 undead survived for the reclaim still killed and crippled half the 7 so second reclaim has begun lots of cleaning up to do! 

EDIT
The fort has fallen again second wave of the non living nearly had the draw bridge down as well no hope of reclaim must be 90+ bits of death wriggle around!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:28:54 am by MarineMorton »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »

Was it an evil biome, or did you have a tower nearby ?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:24 am »

Tower near by they dont mess about needed to get my walls up faster!

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

Oh, did you restart the challenge?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »

Yes I did, this time with 5 years, since not many people find the time for 10 year fortresses in between the updates I do... speaking of which:

• Music Stage - Play up to 12 different songs to boost your dwarves
  • Evil Races - Evil Doppelgangers of Dwarves, Elves, Humans and Drow to fight
  • Magic Gems - Search for Armoks Metal and the Blessing of Armok deep underground
  • New Frost Giants - Rebalanced and with new sprites
  • Skill Essence Fractures - Kill invaders for skill essences, get a free legendary skill
  • Magic Elven Potions - Buy up to 5 different special plants from elves
  • New Bird Button - Remove up to 100 bird types, to have more ground-enemies to fight
  • Pet Guide - Short graphical guide on all pets you can aquire
  • Minor fixes, as always.

Special Thanks
To Naryar for his demons. I included them from the very start, but always thought they were deons... And thanks at Lycaeon for the idea I based the music system on. :)

Full Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Known Issues:
 - Manual not yet updated.
 - Drow/Elven Pet Trading might be off by a few creatures.

PS: @zach123: Flaming skulls are rarer now, instead of 20%, only 5% of the burning skulls can breath fire now. The clothing is the problem, armor holds fine against fire.

EDIT: For Version 1.7.2 I would really like to see reports on the new golems, new frost giants and what pets drow and elves bring. All four take long in testing, so feedback is welcome. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V 1.7.2 - 5 year Challenge
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:21 pm »

-bump-

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »

Thank you for your mod.

I was taking the challenge but my save file got screwed up and I'm now starting over with the new update.

I embarked in Gaia near a small peat hill with a small lake on to bringing a large amount of alcohol, seeds, lizards, and mastiffs. One dwarf set off to go fishing for food immediately while the rest of my industrius dwarfs mined out a small home on this hill, and found out the ground under this hill to be meaty and alive. My dwarfs found this strange but it didn't take long for my hard working dwarfs alcohol reserves to run low. Large underground farms where built and soon much wine was made. This strange living ground proved very fertile for growing crops and didn't even require any irrigation. Much much wine was made, and the dwarfs quickly drank it and were happy.

The mastiffs and lizards kept this small home protected from vermin, kobolds, and goblins. The main form of defense for larger threats was locking the doors and letting the well armed traders handle it. The dwarfs walled in their lake and connected it with stairs to the main work hall. Multiple fisheries set up and backup fishers assigned to occasionally join Urist Mcfisherdwarf and soon my small little fort in the side of the mountain gained a reputation for lavish seafood food and fine dwarfen booze. The dwarfs ate as much as they want and where happy spending much time in the dinning hall, and traders came from far and wide in search of our awesome booze, and lavish seafood meals. We also made a pretty penny on fishbone/shell trinkets and crafts. Mcfisherdward fished on, quietly and alone. Just him, his lake, and his pole.

The dwarfs became very isolationists never going out of their walled garden around the lake or the inside of their hill except to trade with outsides, who where never let inside. As such the dwarfs didn't have much of a military. They where totally unprepared for what happened next. No one noticed anything strange with Mcfisherdwarf. The only thing he had ever done is eat, sleep, and fish. He didn't even prepare or cook his catch, he had underlings for that. It took multiple dwarfs to keep up with him, struggling to keep up with cleaning and cooking.

None of them thought his fishy smell was off. He was covered in fish slim because he was always handling fish right?

You are what you eat. Thats what Mcfisherdwarf used to mumble to himself. That is when he still talked to other dwarfs. Before the day when Mcfisherdwarf changed. He changed forever that day... the fort changed forever that day. Because he changed into.. A very angry giant fish man monster, and promptly went on a murderous rampage. The other fisherdwarfs and food preparers where gone first, before the others even realized what was going on. None of the craftdwarfs who stood their ground stood a chance, or the lizards, or even the mastiffs.

Eat fish, it's good for the health. He used to say that to, and now he was proving it. He was practically invincible with his super fish strength and tough rubbery skin. Only a few dwarfs survived because they ran and hid. When Mcfisherdwarf followed one poor fellow into his (own? what a coincidence) bedroom a couple masons sprinted into action, building a thick stone wall sealing him into the room... Forever.

Only a few puppies and dwarfs survived. However soon some more migrants had arrived, no news of the happenings having reached the outside world. Slowly over the course of a few years the fort was rebuilt. A proper military made. Sections of the fort sectioned off incase of future catastrophe.

What ever happened to Mcfisherdwarf? we will never know for sure. Some say he is still there, trapped in his bedroom. Angry, fueled by the rage of hundreds of fish. None of the dwarfs ever dared to disturb or release him. They could hear him, in his room. After many years there was speculation of how he survived, without food, or booze. However with him single handedly feeding them all so well and providing so much fish for exports the entire fortress owed him for the great life they had all taken for granted.

From then on, the dwarfs kept an eye on their fisherdwarfs. To say hi, give them thanks, and make sure they were not growing scales.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:15:18 pm by zenerbufen »

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but since I have so far played one 5 year fort with your mod (Thanks, it's great!) I've noticed a couple things. My only "big" problems with the mod are the support for the settings.exe on macs (understandably hard to develop) and the lack of a clear outline of exactly what is in the mod (I heard there's a manual, but no mention where, and the file named manual in the download refuses to open).

Here's three other minor things I can think of right now (Mac version):

• The Plague. My god, is it annoying. It covers EVERYTHING in vomit, clogs up the combat logs, and is generally nasty, so much so I had to mod it out. I don't know if it's in vanilla, but it said something in the change log about you removing it (yet it's still here?), so I assumed you wrote it. Personally I would prefer if you made it more deadly and rarer, to make it worthy of the name.

• Some of the defaults are... funky. Like NOGEMS being a default. This is obviously entirely a matter of taste, but it sure surprised me the first time I fired up your mod. I am struggling to think of my other examples right now though...

• The Warlocks do something weird when they attack in any capacity. What I think is happening is they come on mounts, animate some dead, and somehow the undead either attack them or their mounts (not sure), and a huge battle between the warlocks and their undead breaks out, almost always ending in them being fully converted to undead. Weird, atleast to me, and it makes their sieges less than trivial (although those cave crawlers are pretty nasty :P)  to clean up the remaining zombies. I know undead AI is Toady's deal, but some fix relating to their capacity for raising dead would be appreciated.

I'll make sure to return here if I think of anymore comments. Again, thanks for such a great mod!
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:29 am »

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but since I have so far played one 5 year fort with your mod (Thanks, it's great!) I've noticed a couple things. My only "big" problems with the mod are the support for the settings.exe on macs (understandably hard to develop) and the lack of a clear outline of exactly what is in the mod (I heard there's a manual, but no mention where, and the file named manual in the download refuses to open).

What he said, I'm on a mac and using the windows version (parallels) since the mac is out of date, and parts don't work. Would you like some help with the mac port? I'm in a strange mood and need something to do before I go insane! (I am serious) I've written some basic programs before for the mac.

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2012, 03:18:06 am »

Some observations:

Screw presses when pressing paper have actually taken steeloak logs if they're available. A scrapwood-only option would be awesome! Also, I believe timberyards also consume steeloak in normal wood operations such as stripping bark or splitting into scrapwood.

I had a siege of wizards arrive at my fortress. A necromancer wizard raised a corpse, which promptly attacked the wizard army. The wizard army turned on itself and got destroyed as the necromancer kept raising more and more undead.

The blast furnace will take 6 tetrahydrite ore and smelt it into 6 coarse iron bars: is this intended behaviour? Also, I'm not sure if this has a the chance to grant iridium that normal smelters grant.

Does the tannery option to split leather into fine leather only take leather, or will it also take upgraded forms of leather? I've been forbidding everything otherwise just in case because I think I noticed that happening before.

I keep getting underground sieges even though I walled off the caverns. Is there something that can be done about that or is it a consequence of having underground civilizations?

I finally decided to appoint a prophet/preacher/priest and soon after he started to tantrum because the mayor had a better bedroom than him. After that was fixed, he had another tantrum because the mayor had a better office. And a better dining room. Also, despite having the strand extractor labour enabled, he didn't want to build the Shrine to Armok nor the Altar to Armok :(

Edit: Also noticed that leather bags made using drakescale, chitinscale or scaleplate get called coffers instead of bags, is that intended behaviour?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:41:44 am by reilwin »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16