Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment  (Read 10470 times)

Zapitron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »

We embarked with one military dwarf, who brought a copper axe and even a couple pieces of bronze armor to cover a few vital bits.  As the other six of us dug in and worked on the temporary fortress, he watched our backs.  Sure enough, those pesky badger-folk came too close and when I saw how enraged they were, I was unable to concentrate on my task.

The axedwarf slaughtered them with no resistance.  When a few minutes later some giant badgers arrived, he was feeling pretty good about himself and brimming with confidence.  "They're just animals," he said as he strode off.  I watched him chop-chop-chopping them: one, and then another.  I wondered why I had been scared of the giant badgers, as this one axedwarf was easily handling them.  Then I was reminded that "a couple pieces of armor" is not really the same as a full suit.  The fountain of blood that erupted from his leg as the third giant badger shook him to death, could be seen from across the map.

We realized how vulnerable we really were, and up went the bridge.  None of us ever saw the stranglers, though we heard their muffled cries through a few z-levels of earth.  That was only for a little while, because soon the whole z-level situation would change.

A little cavy pup told me I'd find magma just a little past the hundredth z-level.  I don't normally go deep; I don't have the patience or persistence, and metals seem to get rare after you hit a certain depth.  But there's something about knowing how far away it is -- that red glow at the end of the tunnel -- which lifted my heart.  "We can do this!" I told my fellow miners as we left the others to start various small-scale industries.

The first cave was the most impressive, for it was around 60 z-levels tall.   Each cave, after broaching it, we'd resealed it off, and built a staircase down the inside of a column.   We worked just a few squares away from a tribe of heavily-armed amphibian-men and they _must_ have heard us digging, though what they made of the sound, I have no idea.  We saw a reacher, a cave crocodile, and more amphibian-men. We saw a strange beast beyond description; I can only weakly say it was shaped something like a grasshopper.  None of them could get to us, though.

Magma!  And when the others heard the news of the stringy metal we found, they whooped for joy as loudly as we did.  (I have never before seen this stuff, and I look forward to seeing axes made of it.)  It was not yet time for advanced metallurgy, though.  A hundred z-levels above, we still had (and have) unexploited veins of hematite to smelt, and it will certainly need its carbon content adjusted.  (There's some tetrahedrite, galena and sphalerite up there, too.)  We set to work on developing the area right above the magma sea, to use its power for our own ends.

The great magma crafting room is a wonderful site.  Four smelters, two glass furnaces, two kilns, and three forges.  Stacked directly above the forges are the new jewelers and craft workshops, so there will be no confusion about what items to decorate when they collaborate to produce the greatest of riches.  The steel is just now starting to appear right near them, far enough from the smelters and their other outputs, so that my moodier fellows will know what to use.

It has all been asceticism up to now, working for the great steel prize, to the detriment of comfort.  People are feeling ok, but I wouldn't say happy.  The next order of business will be to start the permanent living areas and lighter industries, probably somewhere in the nineties.  And once we have a squad of steel-clad warriors, it will be time to parlay with these amphibian-men.
"They killed our last caravan?  That's it, I've had it.  Instead of arming those hostile dwarves with our exquisite wooden swords, let's see the disappointed look on their faces when all we offer them are our useless tamed grizzly bears."

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 09:10:07 am »

Final report: Victory.

It is the year 209. The Basement has been colonized, no siege has killed a soldier in the past 4 or so years and my fortress has become the capitol. Unfortunately the monarch was already dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The surface of the map. Surrounded entirely with walls, except for an opening at the end of each of the four roads. Thanks to the trees everywhere all caravans will spawn on or close to the roads, minimizing the chances of them getting caught in a siege or ambush.
5 squads of 5 soldiers each are constantly roaming the surface. 4 squads are patrolling each edge, with the last squad defending the entire surface.

Go down the ramp to reach:
The entrance. The depot is located here, with the broker's quarters directly across from it. The depot entrance can be sealed off with a bridge, but I've never had to use it.
To the north of the depot and the broker's quarters is the hospital. 12 rooms, a well, a storage area and the doctors' quarters with their own food supplies.
And finally, the upper barracks, containing the danger room and the sleeping quarters for the soldiers. Many animals and babies have died here.

This floor contains the storage space for most goods, the bookkeeper's office, the farms, the lower barracks and several mined hematite veins.
The lower barracks contain the weapon storage, a dining hall for the soldiers and quarters for the commander and the captains of the four surface squads.
You can also see the well here. The aquifer's water was apparently salt, so I made this well of constructed walls and floors and I pumped the water into it.
There are also a few slabs here from before I had crypts and some paved roads to increase the total value of my roads.

The workshops. Divided into stone workshops, wood workshops, cloth workshops and the leather and gem workshops. All stone, wood and gems got dumped here for efficiency reasons.
To the left are also the manager's quarters.

The refuse dump, as well as two butcheries, a fish cleaner and a tanner's shop. There is also a path here to the garbage chute, which runs from the surface all the way to the magma sea.

Food production. To the left are two kitchen's, a Soap Maker's Workshop and a storage area for all their ingredients, while to the right are a brewery, a Farmer's Workshop and a storage area for bags, barrels and their ingredients.

Main storage area of prepared food and drinks.

Living area, with the dining hall to the left and sleeping hall to the right.

The nobles quarters. Here is where the mayor and duchess live. Complete with their own food stockpile in case they I needed to burrow them here when they refused to speak with the diplomats.

The crypts. Only half of these coffins are being used, but before invading the carnival I wanted to make sure there were enough crypts. This also doubled as one of my two marble mines.

Prisons and the Captain of the Guard's quarters. I didn't want my nobles to go berserk after failed mandates, but I didn't really feel like completing all these mandates either. So I made these. The food and drinks here are legendary like always, so my prisoner's are usually very happy.

Metal stockpile and entrance to the basement. All metal bars and metal objects ready to be melted are waiting here. I also dumped all stones here before invading the carnival so I could quickly wall off the glowing pits near the edges and later to seal of my colony once I'd lost too many soldiers to the clowns.

Magma workshops and furnaces and the entry hall to the basement. I had already breached the cotton candy tube here in my first year, but luckily I didn't get the clown parade so I could seal it off. But I figured that once I breached the tube again, all the clowns that were already waiting there in the basement would quickly invade my fortress. So I constructed this hall to give my soldiers enough room to battle and I could seal it off if everything were to go wrong. In the end only two weak clowns decided to greet me, so this wasn't really needed after all.

And finally, the basement. Take note, these are true spoilers. Don't open them unless you really want to.

Here is some spoilerrific advice for you:
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 11:39:25 am »

Im gonna try this out i hope theres no bad----------.......
                                                                            /
                                                                           /
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]