Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment  (Read 10473 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

Many people have done impressive things in Dwarf Fortress. However, I am curious about something. If everyone is given the same location, the same resources, the same mods... what comes out the other end?
The idea is that everyone takes the same save and same embark, then goes crazy with whatever the hell you want. Not only can we do some !!SCIENCE!! about just how random Dwarf Fortress is in the way of sieges, merchants and goods, migrants, and the like, but we get to see just how differently everyone handles the same situation. So, DL the save, play it, and tell us your stories and post screens of your fortress.

The world was generated as vanilla with the addition of several of the weaker Fort Defense civilizations.

Here is the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4783
And here is the embark:

In order to find it, simply reclaim. You will find three spare logs and two dead horses on the map. The embark has shallow metals, deep metals, clay, deep soil, and an aquifer in one small corner. That same small corner has a little bit of elevation. This is the best embark I could possibly find without a volcano to sweeten the deal, and I hope it satisfies everyone. The only problem is the cold weather; hopefully the aquifer will help with that.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »

Sounds good; I'm in. Downloading the save now. Don't expect my fortress to last more than a few years. I'll try to go longer than normal, but no guarantees.

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »

I think I'll give it a try once I get back from work. I'm sure that aquifer with be lots of fun.
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »

Hmm... how are results to be reported? Post as you like?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »

Heheheh, this should be good in terms of both playing it and reading what happens.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

Hmm... how are results to be reported? Post as you like?

Pretty much. Screenshots are encouraged.
I'm glad people are interested in this! If anyone would like to know, I'm going to build a strong defendable position, then build a megaproject out of soap.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:29 pm »

So we can start off with whatever we want? If I want to start off with 100 pig-tail fiber socks and a high master beekeeper, I can?

Not that I would, of course...  :-X

What about home civs? Free choice?

Flux? Is there flux? I hope there's flux...

Yes, there is flux! I am very happy :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:24:34 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:18 am »

Sounds interesting.  I'll do my part for ‼SCIENCE‼
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:38 am »

Posting to watch, not so much to play.
*Hugs*

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:40:26 am »

Looks like I hit some bad luck.  I normally don't have much trouble with badgers, and so I wasn't ready for the giant variety.  I didn't even make it past the month of Felcite, heh.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Valkrey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 03:30:07 am »

This sounds like the perfect experiment for my talents, let's see how much i can kill :D

Edit: No anvil... this could present problems
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:34:25 am by Valkrey »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 03:42:07 am »

First year is complete:

I began with average dwarves and equipment: miner, carpenter/woodcutter, mason, smith and all sorts of useful equipment.

The first thing I notice in the area:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OH GOD BADGERPEOPLE!

Luckily, they steered clear of my dwarves.

I began with digging down, and making some housing for my dwarves. (will add pic later)

Giant badgers made it onto the map, stayed away.

I also made sure to get all the useful nobles set up:

Around these times I noticed I had no means of getting more food/drinks, so I set up some farms and a still. The still was left alone for about 3/4 of the year, until I realized I only had 3 drinks left.

While mining a dining hall, I struck hematite. I got my metal industry up quickly.

Summer arrived slightly before the first group of immigrants, mainly useless ones, but one good miner:

While mining down to find magma, I also found layer after layer of marble.

Autumn arrived soon, and amongst the layers of stone I was digging through, I found gems and galena inside some gneiss. I had soon made a silver warhammer.

Soon, I also struck a cavern. As it turns out, it was huge, 66 z-levels deep, beginning from 15 z-levels below ground and ending 81 z-levels below ground. I sealed it off, for now.

After digging down to z-level 10, I was afraid to dig deeper, even though I could have dug to level -23.

A caravan arrived soon, no trading was done.

During wintertime, things began to happen. I got my first steel-clad soldier, wielding the silver warhammer. I also had an iron-clad wrestler.

The hammerman was trained in a danger room.

They were needed relatively soon, as on the 16th of Obsidian, Dark Stranglers assaulted my fort! I didn't get their exact count, but there were between 10 and 20 of them. After killing four of them, they began to flee. Two were struck down before they made it out. Neither of my soldiers were hurt, and both got three kills.

(Six bodies, two soldiers at the top)

So that was the first year. Will post the second one later.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:11:37 am »

I'm going to give this a try, I will try to give some feedback every ingame year
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:23:57 am by lurtze1 »

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:16:39 am »

Im giving it a go. I will also do annual reports, but dont expect too many screenshots :L

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 07:17:41 am »

Sounds fun, might give it a go.
Any rules or goals?
Like one might be compelled to survive as long as possible compared to other players, but that would be moot if it's ok to wall off or use danger rooms etc.
Also no further modding or raw editing I take?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7