Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Trap Thread  (Read 2922 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Trap Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 02:23:00 pm »

At one point I had a bunch of parallel hallways where, from a pressure plate about halfway through, it would block off both sides, flood it with magma, then drain and reset.  It worked really well, but it requires a lot of work and magma doesn't evaporate quickly so you need quite a few if you want to deal with a large siege or a bunch of ambushes at one time.

I'm thinking I might use a modified toilet trap with only one hatch, on the fort side (to make it troll-proof) and set up a bunch of hatches over a one-wide hallway with deep pits on either side.  Several of those in parallel would probably work, and at the bottom if everything splattered on a retracting bridge I could dump stuff into magma when the water dried and collect the goblinite at my leisure.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I have an idea.
If you drop flaming animals on your enemies and they blow apart, could the flaming body parts set your enemies on fire?
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 05:05:55 pm »

Yes actually, they would cause them to catch fire if exposed for long enough periods (not exactly sure, but certainly 1 burning object across the hall won't cause them any harm.) Your best bet is still probably magma or lignite (lignite needing to be exposed to magma in order to begin burning.) Or an alchemy reaction that produces infinitesimally burning oil for you... Poisonous oil to place along side it that boils and causes massive hemorrhaging...

But do body parts from a burning animal remain burning after the animal has been destroyed? I don't know...

As for my favorite trap, I like to place marksmen behind fortifications along a trap corridor, also having a short dodge-pit trap before meeting my melee troops.

I want to make a labyrinth of various wildlife, mega/semi-megabeasts, titans, and FB's to toss goblins into. Or to unleash upon them after sealing them in a massive empty room via collapsing cast-obsidian walls. One way in, but can you get out? 8)
That would require sacrificial animals to get the beasts back in their labyrinth, or out into the room...

Maybe a wide, deep chasm with balistae and marksmen on the opposite wall as I've heard described on this forum. The path could be narrow and include weapon traps.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:41:26 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »

It'd work if you used a lot of animals and locked the enemies into a small room. Much easier to just use magma though, since you'd be using it to set the animals on fire anyway.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »

The idea of making a Dodge This, and having enemies fall two z-levels into a labyrinth with a minotaur or five in it just tickles me.  If I ever end up find one, I'm going to be sure to build one. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]