Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Trap Thread  (Read 2925 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Trap Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:34 am »

And you call yourselves dwarves..

Drown them in booze.

Then drink it.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 01:42:08 am »

I've made this baby able to withstand temperatures of up to 9000 urists!

It's...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9000 Urists is below absolute zero!  Remember:  in Dwarf Fortress, real temperatures must be OVER 9000!

(Actually it's over 9508, but you get the point :) )
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 04:47:00 am »

My favorite trap.  4-wide main entrance with channeled sides and about 30-long.  The middle is retracting bridges controlled with a lever.  The two remaining 1-wide walkways have weapons traps with 5x spiked wooden balls inside.  Below is a 20z drop.

If we can pull that lever before the siege gets to the entrance, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 06:20:10 am »

Drop-in containment area on a freezing biome, with a lot of gimmicks attached. Choice between drowning, burning, encasing in ice, encasing in obsidian, impalement, filling the place with smoke or dropping beasties on them.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:53 am »

My idea is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more antyelvs.

THE TIMELES TORTURE TOWERTM

3T for short

The idea is this

Code: [Select]
z2: this is a pit where you can throuw prisoners in
+++++
+++++
++.++
+++++
+++++

z1:     here the prisoners sit for nthe rest of their lives. the # is a floor grate
0+++0
0+#+0
0+++0

z0:     these are refuze dumps.
0===0
0=#=|
0===0

repeat z0 sveral times. for maximum miasmage.

This does not kill the prisoners, BUT you get rid of trash AND you can throw magma down the thing and kill everyone.

Just immagine, 37 people trapped in a small room, gasping for air and the only thing that they get to breathe is rotting flesh, evaporated vomit and garbage dust. I have just entered adulthood. LOL!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:19:19 am by antymattar »

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:41 am »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:33 am »

One of the more amusing ones I devised was something that looked a little bit like a covered bridge, a stretch of floor build across a river with another stretch above it held up by four pillars. These pillars were linked to a pressure plate at the end of the bridge, rigged to drop the upper floor on top of the unfortunate goblins charging across it and hopefully collapsing the lower floor into the river. A couple of weapon traps flanking the pressure plate were added after a goblin ambush failed to trigger it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 10:05:58 am »

Explosion trap.
Side view
#~#
#c#
#%#

Top view
#%#%#
.^.^.
#%#%#
~ - Magma
c - Magma-proof floor hatch
% - Wooden barrel of booze
. - Floor
# - Wall
^ - Pressure plate, linked to floor hatches

The result is a corridor of explosive booze traps. Also, something fun I made.
Top view
###XXXXX###
-----------
###.....###
###^^^^^##

X - Floodgate
^ - Weapon Trap
- - Raised 1-tile bridge

The hallway should be slightly larger - two Urists wide, about. The floodgate holds back the might of an ocean or some other highly pressurized water source. One end enters your fort, while the other leads outside. Finally, the trap hallway should empty into a large room with a deep pool of water and some kind of drain in it.
Once a siege arrives, station a few military dorfs in the hallway. Siege rushes to meet them and you pull two levers.
The first unleashes the pressurized water, quickly filling the hallway. The second lowers the bridge, flushing everything down past your weapon traps. Your military, who should be trained in swimming, will be unharmed. Enemies will go right over the weapon traps and be grinded to a pulp. Survivors will be dumped into your deep pool at the end, where your swimming military will finish off your drowning enemies.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:39 am »

Hmm, I thought booze explosions were even more useless as serious weapons than smoke? Or has this changed?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:23 am »

Once a siege arrives, station a few military dorfs in the hallway. Siege rushes to meet them and you pull two levers.
The first unleashes the pressurized water, quickly filling the hallway. The second lowers the bridge, flushing everything down past your weapon traps. Your military, who should be trained in swimming, will be unharmed. Enemies will go right over the weapon traps and be grinded to a pulp. Survivors will be dumped into your deep pool at the end, where your swimming military will finish off your drowning enemies.
I like this idea.  Making them fight in the water could be a lot of fun.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 11:22:32 am »

To be honest, I didn't actually test the booze explosion trap. The drain, however, works wonders. Enemies trying to fight after getting softened up by 10x *Large, Serrated Steel Disks* whilst drowning? You can get away with only a handful of dorfs in your military. Four steel-clad legendaries were all I needed.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:18 am »

What would be handy is some kind of greased pipe deal, let you move those pesky goblins sideways down z-levels without having to flush them with water.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

The obsidian encaser, from the side

z1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

z2

z3
=============================

Key:
~ is magma
_ is a drawbridge
= is water.

Both drawbridges are linked to the same lever... Hehehe...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 01:56:31 pm »

I take it z2 is the goblin path?

Also, you may want to put an empty layer between the bridge and the obsidian floors you'll be creating, unless you want to either have it be a one-use thing or tear down, channel the obsidian out from under, and rebuild your z2 bridge after every use.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 02:10:29 pm »

I mine out a series of catacombs, strip prisoners of their weapons and armour, fill the catacombs with troglodytes/other cavern creatures and throw the prisoners in. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Blargh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4