Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should power be made and routed?

Dwarf Power (hand craking), Animal Power at the engine.
- 0 (0%)
Dorf/animal power at station, routed through axles/etc.
- 4 (21.1%)
Dorf/animal/coal at the engine
- 2 (10.5%)
Dorf/animal/coal, routed through axles/etc.
- 3 (15.8%)
Dorf/animal/basic inefficient steam at the engine
- 3 (15.8%)
Dorf/animal/basic inefficient steam, routed through axles/etc.
- 3 (15.8%)
Other (say in thread)
- 0 (0%)
I like to vote random options ;)
- 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Poll: Vehicles megathread (a.k.a. Land Ho! Caravan has come! OMG GOBLINS! etc)  (Read 10359 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

the thing is that you designate both tile-by-tile (well, currently it's set like that) so that basically you need to place *boat wall* or *cart floor* (or *vehicle up-stair" if we're doing same parts)

so technically you make the hull yourself, custom.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

this thread needs a revive!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this thread needs a revive!
No, it doesn't. Do you atleast have something to add?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

uh... there are some unanswered questions.
such as:

"How should boats and vehicles be made?"
"How would these function?"
"How would the game work with these?"
"How would AI pathfind using these?"

and others.

Also I've seen some more boat stuff recently.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• POWER:Engines - Dwarf power, inefficient coal/steam power to build self-propelling vehicles.
Here, and in your poll you suggest coal and steam powering as if they had any differences. I don't get what's the difference between 3rd and 5th options in your poll.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

coal - using air currents (smoke)
steam - using steam as currently implemented.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like the idea of dwarves on boats. Dwarves don't strike me as seafaring creatures. I'd go so far as to say that the vastness of the open sea, with no land in sight, would drive a dwarf insane! Best to leave ocean-going to the ambitious humans.
It would be fun to one day be able to play as different races with their different aptitudes and see the DF engine handle ship building and ocean battles, but that seems impossibly distant.

However, when attempting to quickly cross a large river or travel quickly downriver, a raft would be simple, easy enough to add to the game, and rad for caravans and armies.

Seige engines would be cooler if you could add wheels to them and designate a place to drag them to, or even a path to use - vital if they're ever going to be used in actual siegeing instead of defending against a siege.

Elevators: I really want at least a dumbwaiter for quick z level transport of stacked items.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back to boats:

Is there any reason to expect a 1 to 1 correlation between location inside the ship and location outside?  What I mean is, when you're on the ship, calculate your location in relation to the ship.  If you jump out, calculate a 'best guess' square to land in based on where the ship is.  Then all you need to do is handle normal movement(Display as whatever angle you want, but move 1 up 1 across style) and parking (since docks will be on the grid, a docked ship has to align to the grid to dock.).

Added bonus: Reference frame for everything on the ship is to the ship, so you don't have to think about anything on the ship when you move it.
Post it here please: Vehicles Megathread
yeah, while on a ship or vehicle (i.e. adventure mode) you have the view centered on the ship, and coordinates for that marked relative to the ship. you could have the same thing for AI ingame, just make them move to a certain spot on the ship (the "docking deck zone" or whatever) and then onto shore.

I'm not even sure this was originally my idea... I know it's what a lot of space games do.

Anyway, there are is an extremely finite set of actions that can be taken from a vehicle that's not at dock.  I'll use 'noodle' to mean 'calculate the correct base word square' the unit should be considered in.

1: Fire projectile
    Noodle the character and fire from that square.

2: Hit by projectile
    Noodle the character and take damage from that square.

3: Fire from one ship to another
    Noodle both characters and fire as if that were the case.

*If LOS on the ship concerns you, you could also reverse noodle the target into the ships frame of reference*

4: Exit ship
    Noodle the character and put him in that square.  This may mean he's on the same square as a ship tile.  That's ok.

Noodling could result in two characters standing in one square, but since it's just a conversion, you shouldn't ever need to noodle to squares in one frame of reference at the same time.

Basically, the answer to all frame of reference problems is noodling

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

I don't like the idea of dwarves on boats. Dwarves don't strike me as seafaring creatures. I'd go so far as to say that the vastness of the open sea, with no land in sight, would drive a dwarf insane! Best to leave ocean-going to the ambitious humans.
Hey, maybe make it something for humans-only? This would help make DF more diverse and less "same game as dwarves just harder"

It would be fun to one day be able to play as different races with their different aptitudes and see the DF engine handle ship building and ocean battles, but that seems impossibly distant.
... but it would be cool!

However, when attempting to quickly cross a large river or travel quickly downriver, a raft would be simple, easy enough to add to the game, and rad for caravans and armies.
Single-tile ones and multi-tile ones.

Seige engines would be cooler if you could add wheels to them and designate a place to drag them to, or even a path to use - vital if they're ever going to be used in actual siegeing instead of defending against a siege.
A question arises: how do they go over hills?

Elevators: I really want at least a dumbwaiter for quick z level transport of stacked items.
Same here. Just something that goes up and down repeatedly, slowly (and doesn't atomsmash  ;D) would be nice.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Back to boats:

Is there any reason to expect a 1 to 1 correlation between location inside the ship and location outside? That would be helpful. What I mean is, when you're on the ship, calculate your location in relation to the ship. If you jump out, calculate a 'best guess' square to land in based on where the ship is.  Then all you need to do is handle normal movement(Display as whatever angle you want, but move 1 up 1 across style) and parking (since docks will be on the grid, a docked ship has to align to the grid to dock.).
Hmmm....

Added bonus: Reference frame for everything on the ship is to the ship, so you don't have to think about anything on the ship when you move it.
I'm not even sure this was originally my idea... I know it's what a lot of space games do.

Anyway, there are is an extremely finite set of actions that can be taken from a vehicle that's not at dock.  I'll use 'noodle' to mean 'calculate the correct base word square' the unit should be considered in.

1: Fire projectile
    Noodle the character and fire from that square.
That works.

2: Hit by projectile
    Noodle the character and take damage from that square.
Hmm... that works until we are able to aim projectiles.

3: Fire from one ship to another
    Noodle both characters and fire as if that were the case.
What about movement and teleportation?

*If LOS on the ship concerns you, you could also reverse noodle the target into the ships frame of reference*
That works.

4: Exit ship
    Noodle the character and put him in that square.  This may mean he's on the same square as a ship tile.  That's ok.
This will work if the ship's edge is flat, but may end up with dudes in the water.

Noodling could result in two characters standing in one square, but since it's just a conversion, you shouldn't ever need to noodle to squares in one frame of reference at the same time.

Basically, the answer to all frame of reference problems is noodling
This looks good, might need a bit of workaround.
So basically, tiles in the ship are smaller, right?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, they are the same size.  They just don't have a 1 to 1 relationship with each other.

Take a Rubik's cube and turn the top piece 45 degrees.  There are 9 squares on the top piece, and nine squares on the middle piece.  They just don't line up anymore.

If you had to assign each square on the top to one on the bottom, you might end up with:
ABC
DEF
GHI

and
  a
 bc
def
 gh
  i

for the top.

a,b,c could be assigned to square B
d,e,f would correspond neatly to D,E,F respectively
and
g,h,i would all end up in H

You'd only correlate when you needed to, say, shoot an arrow at a target on the boat.  The rest of the time, anything on the boat would just be moving on the lower case map.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

ah, so instead of putting everything on the same map, you have 2 maps that you somehow overlay?
thats kinda confusing
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well, visually, you'd just draw the one on top of the other.

The math could get confusing, but it's all behind the scenes.

EDIT:  Just listened to df talk 5, and all this stuff was mentioned (in passing, at a high level)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:59:29 am by Granite26 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]