Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)  (Read 4239 times)

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 11:48:07 pm »

Hehe. I know how deadly mining can be. Get a legenary miner, and even fully steeled out orcs are no match! However...Don't put said person up against a whole rank of them. It didn't end well. Poor miner.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:59 am »

Sooooo... I'm curious, how does this siege end? Were we victorious?  Did we all die horrible orc-related deaths?  Did I take another nap? 

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 04:20:38 pm »

Well, I'll admit it took me two savescums not to die a horrible death.

First battle:
18 wrestlers
20 maulers
2 spearmasters
2 hammermasters
1 master lasher
6 lashers
6 carvers

I think we might have survived, but the melee dwarves were slightly out of position, and got overrun.  Everyone died.

Second battle:

15 snipers......do I really have to list what else came.

We were not able to take out enough of the snipers before they took out the melee dwarves.   We died.

Third, and final battle will be posted next.  With pictures.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:24:25 pm by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 05:29:24 pm »

Drostan's Journal:  5th Malachite, 78

We had a good plan, but plans seldom go right in battle.

As I told you earlier, the orcs had just entered the wining path.  We were up above, firing bolts as fast as we could.  Below, we could hear the soldiers getting fired up for the battle by hitting each other with their weapons.

We could not fire fast enough.  The Orcs got through.  Luckily for us, we had redesigned our defences after Fred insisted.  He keeps going on about how they must not feel pain.  After this battle, I'm starting to agree.

New design.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see from this picture, this design enabled Thob, our elite marksdwarf and myself to fire on the Orcs as they charge, and then pile up against our soldiers.

Let me first list the noble kills of our warriors before I tell you of sorrow.

Fred: 1 orc
Sodel Eralerdes Shaligmogshum Erar: 7 kills, including two named.  Got a second name too.  Sodel Vesselauthored the Bridled Elbow
Thob: 3 orcs
Nish: 2 orcs, 1 named
Olin: 3 orcs

I myself killed 3 orcs, and earned a second name.

Drostan Crystalburies the Impervious Watch

11 wrestlers, 1 spearmaster, 2 carvers, 5 maulers, and 1 master lasher we killed.  One of the dogs killed an orc as well. 

Three dwarves we lost that day.  They now lie below in the mausoleum.

Vucar, an elite wrestler
Zuglar, a wrestler
Tun, a wrestler

Many dogs too, but Carver, Romano, and Berta were quick to point something out, trying to cheer me up.

No one is unhurt.  We have lowered the bridge, and the only two physically unhurt dwarves are posted at the merchant's gate.  We need supplies.  We especially need an anvil.

The cleanup has begun.  But will it all be for naught.  If we went under siege at this moment, we would all perish.

While going through the belongings of the late spearmaster, I came upon something.  Something not so good.  It seems the orcs don't just know we are here, but may have eyes among us.

That's right.  They are invading us with pictures of our own artifacts engraved upon their armor.

I went down to the barracks to talk to Kol about this.  It is his artifact after all, but never got the chance.  As I entered the room, he immediately started talking.

Kol:  I need a new name.  Mine does not spark enough fear in the hearts of mine enemies.

Drostan:  What's wrong with Bronzekeys?  Seems fear striking enough.  Anyway, I came down here to..

Kol: Not Bronzekeys.  Kol.  Kol does not make thine heart tremble.  This I can see.

Drostan:  Why are you talking like that Kol?  Did the peasants bring you contaminated water?

Kol:  Thou shalt now refer to me as 100killer9.  Truly, today is a dawn on a new era.  When mine enemies hear my name they shalt scatter in the wind..

I walked out while he was still talking.  Clearly being bedridden for so long recovering from broken legs had affected his mind. I shall have to seek advice about the gauntlet elsewhere.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 06:38:27 pm »

Fred's Journal:  4th Sandstone, 78

Drostan, Carver, and the immigrant miner have been down below digging for a while now.  I had been mining, my own business.  I think I was really close to finding the water too, but then the metalcrafter started acting strange about a month ago.

She started wandering around, asking, pleading for a forge.  Drostan could't take it anymore.  He grabbed my pick, and headed for the stairs, muttering that he had work to do.  I asked him what I was supposed to do since we didn't have anymore picks and we didn't need anymore carcasses at the moment. 

He didn't answer.  He also hasn't been around much since then, so I've been sort of running things.  It's not that I blame him of course.  Nothing like swinging a pick to clear one's head, or your enemy's head for that matter.  But that's another story.

Like I said, I've been running things.  And doing some of this...some of that.  I could see that we were getting close to running out of gore to clean up from the battle with the orcs, so I came up with a project for the extra bodies.  Should help with the sieges too.  I stole the idea from one of my cousins, a mechanic and amateur archaeologist.  He claims to have seen a drawing of it in the ancient tomb of the Wizard King Nil.  Gave it some fancy sounding name.

I call it a drop trap.

It's not close to done yet, but when it is, it will drop anything on top of it six levels, and they will be outside and have to run back over the bridge again.  After the main bridge is done, I'll design some finishing touches, since Drostan insists on being sporting.  Whatever that is.  Anyway, he wants a path open to the outside at all times, but I figure if the secondary path is only accessable when the bridge is open, that will be good enough.  I'll just have to figure out how to work it so that most of our enemies fall onto the ground rather than onto the hidden path.

That metalcrafter I mentioned earlier.  She went insane today.  Now she's walking around crying, making sad noises.  She's got the look in her eye of a lemming trying to find a cliff to jump off of.  Well, if my plans go right, she'll have her cliff.

Fred's Journal:  1st Timber, 78

Construction accident today.  An animal disector built a section of wall that wasn't attached to anything.  Fell off the bridge.  Killed instantly by the ground.  At least we know it works.  He'll be buried below with the others.

Fred's Journal:  10th Moonstone, 78

They are still mining below.  Still haven't found anything of note either.  Except ore.  Thats useless for now.  I bet I would have found the water by now.

The metalcrafter died of thirst a week ago.  That reminded me of our limited water situation, so I took a look.  Almost empty.  I ordered the masons to take a break from the bridge, and instead wall in another pool.  Good thing too.  We ran out of water in the first pool today.

Fred's Journal:  11th Moonstone, 78

Gnomish caravan.  Better go get Drostan.  Don't like diplomacy much.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »

Go fred! Just wish he could have killed more. Though I guess he did that with his Pickax didn't he? Hrrm.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:17 pm »

Yep, he had a pick, and he and Carver were a little late to the fun.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »

heh, nice, enjoying this

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:06 am »

Is weather turned on in the init file? Do we get rain? The water situation isn't looking too sustainable...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 08:40:16 am »

Weather is turned on.  Plus there is an underground river and an underground pool.  I'm trying to find both.  As long as we find the tiver quickly, I think we'll be fine.

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Creed: Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »

Can I have a swordsman someday, Name: Lichil
Title:Likes Knives
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:17 pm »

Yes, you can have a Swordsman.  Next update is going to be a little bit.  My computer that had dwarf fortress on it died.  Hard drives are fine, but I won't be able to get the game off until later this week.

On the plus side, the new computer seems to run dwarf fortress a lot faster.  Bad news is incompatible hard drives, so I've had to bring the super old computer out and get a transfer cable.  17 hours remaining for the first hard drive to be transferred, then I'll transfer the one with the save game on it.  As long as there aren't any errors.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:42:43 pm by Zifnab »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]