Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)  (Read 4240 times)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:42 am »

Stats of Named Dwarves (Strength, Agility, Toughness)

Fred 5-3-0
Berta 2-0-0
Carver 2-3-0
Drostan 2-2-3
Romano 3-0-1
Xieg 1-2-1

Skills and Potential Plans:  (Let me know if you want any changes for your dwarf.)

Berta
Cook:  3
Cooking and hauling stuff when there is nothing to cook*.

Carver
Marksman:  8
Bone Carver:  8
Ambusher:  5

Bone bolt and totem carving, and occasional hunting.  (Mining for stat buff?)

Drostan
Record Keeper: 12
Marksman:  5
Ambusher:  3
Wrestler:  2
Swimmer:  2
Mechanic:  2
Organizer:  1
Judge of Intent:  1
Building Designer:  1
Appraiser:  1

Record Keeping until legendary, miscelaneous nonhauling jobs that are going slow, military training.

Fred
Miner:  14
Marksman:  8
Ambusher:  5

Alternating mining and hunting.  When trainees stats approach his, military training.

Romano
Grower:  5
Butcher:  3
Tanner:  2
Armorer:  2
Animal Trainer:  2

Food industry.  Some hauling*.  Soon we will have about a dozen dogs to train/butcher.

Xieg
Miner:  6
Hammerman:  5
Mason:  4
Armor User:  2

Make rock furniture until a decent statue is made, mining for stat buff.

*Named haulers will likely be taken off of hauling with next immigrant wave and given something more productive to do. 

@Ringmaster
Let me know if you want Romano to avoid any moodable skills since he has armorer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:19:14 am by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:37 am »

2nd Opal, 77

Berta was interrupted by a kobold thief while hauling water to our wounded.  He was from our enemy, Brilayrbis, and will no doubt take back word of our presence, as there were no soldiers around to stop him.  Though after the orcs, the kobolds don't seem nearly as frightening.

This does serve as an important reminder though that we need a secure source of water.  This pool will not do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3rd Opal
Now I have also been interrupted by a kobold thief.  I managed to kill this one though.  Klidigisrunkis was his name.

I've planned two major improvements to the fort.  The first is a series of stonefall traps on one of the walkways.  Once we have an anvil and enough spears, some will be replaced with spikes.  The other is the walling in of a pond in the warmer part of our area.  The ponds to the south froze this morning, but this one looks to remain liquid.

I've breached the security of the fort to get this wall build faster.  Lets hope we don't get siegers.

On another note, Kol still has ahold of his silver axe, and we just ran out of wood.  I even tried to get the workers to dump it off of him, but no luck.

1st Granite, 78
As the year turns, I feel compelled to record our progress so far.

With the completion of the wall around the pond, our injured dwarves should live for now.  We do need to get a sustainable source of water.  Fred believes there is an underground river to the west.

"I can feel their deaths through the stone." he told me at lunch.

I was confused, as we had been taling about the benefits of leather or cloth undergarments on dwarven women.

He continued,"You probably son't believe me, but at least three Giant Olms, a dozen Olmmen, and sixteen Snakemen have died somewhere in that direction.  I think I may be developing some sort of connection to the animal world.  Not sure how, but I've killed so many."

I sat there stunned.  He might be crazy, but if there is underground water, its worth any risk.  And he is right, he has killed a lot of animals.

Fred's kills:

Someone finally dumped the silver axe today!  We can kill trees to make our beds, bins, and barrels once again!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:17:13 am by Zifnab »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 04:26:39 pm »

Hehe. Seems I'm psychic now. Oh, so you know, If there are metal bars, I'd love to have Fred craft them. I figure it'd be good, for training weapons, to put an inexperienced dorf in charge.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:04:23 pm by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:19 pm »

Hehe, nice, and I don't really mind about the moods.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 10:02:28 am »

Well, we do have some metal bars, but no anvil.  We can, however, start smelting bars in anticipation of getting an anvil from the next dwarvish caravan.  Whenever it is that they arrive.

Also of note, when Barbarossa updates the SG VIII files with the new relentless assault triggers, we should be getting more, and a greater variety of siegers.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:47 am »

Fred's Journal: 1st Slate

Ran into some more of that accursed, blue stone today.  The smoke it gives off once mined burns in my lungs still.  I've been digging a path to the west.  The water creatures are somewhere out there.  Haven't felt any new deaths in a while.  Can't say that I miss the feeling. 

The mining though, nothing better than mining.  I'm going to drop a stairway as far as I can and do some more exploratory work there.  Drostan also wants me to start working on some catacombs.  I get the feeling he thinks a lot of us are going to die. 

Can't say I blame him after that orc siege.  I've been in some fights before, back when I was in the dwarven border guard.  I was in one fight against the kobolds that I'll never forget.  70 kobolds ambushed 6 guards out on a routine patrol.  I was further out, scouting, when I heard the hyena-like battle cries of the kobolds.  Bone chilling.  Old Tosid Ironbelly, a retired arena champion, led the patrol.  Otherwise it was a bunch of trainees, myself included.  Watching from a nearby hilltop, I saw Tosid order all the other guards to stand behind him, while he met wave after wave of kobolds himself.  Thirt-five kobolds fell to his thundering hammer before a blowgunner got a lucky shot in.  Took out Tosid's eyes.  Even while blind, he managed to kill 10 more kobolds before dropping to the ground in agony.  We managed to mop up the rest, but by the time we were finished, Tosid was back on his feet.  Blind and old, after a battle like that he should have been exhausted and laying on the ground in pain, but he was feeling around for more kobolds to kill.  The orcs remind me of Tosid.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 10:58:40 am »

Drostan's Journal:  4th Slate, 78

More migrants!  More dwarves to put to work, so we can get these projects going!  Our haul this time is:

Clothier
4 Peasants  (military)
Ranger  (hunting)
Metalcrafter
2 Donkey foals
Donkey
2 Gem Cutters
2 Fish Cleaners
Bowyer
2 Woodworkers  (Carpentry/woodcutting)
2 Children
Animal Dissector
Potash maker
Weaver
Soapmaker
Mason (Mason/engraving)

A bunch of fairly useless dwarves at this point.  After we get some industries up they will be less useless, but first we need some more types of seeds and an anvil.

18th Slate, 78

I've decided to put our trainees into a permanent standing military.  We have enough dwarves to take care of all of our hauling tasks.  The orc siege definately showed me the importance of having a number of melee dwarves ready to hold up the orcs.  Kol is still in bed, though now just his legs are still hurt.

The standing military now consists of the 4 new peasants, 4 old peasants (though one is still recovering from his Fred inflicted wound), and the fish cleaners.  We aren't doing any fishing here.  They are going to spar until they are champions, then they will get weapons and go on patrol or do more sparring.  Hopefully they don't all get killed the next time the orcs come.

1st Felsite, 78

I've ordered Fred and the other miners to extend the windy kill path a few more rows.  Last time we didn't get nearly enough shots in before they were through the path.

5th Felsite, 78

A few days ago, Berta had some news for me.  Seems she was making a nice dwarf wine roast in the kitchen, minding her own business, when the new mason, Tosid Windflanks walked up to her, grabbed the wine from her hands, drank, then screamed, "Mersethdetes!" in her face before walking off.  She wants him watched.

So does Carver.  Tosid threw Xieg out of his workshop, where he is still working on getting Carver's statue just right.  I've ordered a statue constructed in Carver's room anyway.  We'll replace it when Xieg makes a better one.

I've had Kulet Dikebraided, our soapmaker watching Tosid.  He reports that Tosid has gathered two pieces of obsidian, native aluminum, and nickel bars, and just started working on his project.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »

Can I take one of the starting seven? I think only six were claimed.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

Actually, only 5 have been claimed.  Haika claimed an immigrant.  Your two choices are:

Kol, the axedwarf/carpenter and injured hero of the first orc siege. He has been healing from two broken legs for a while now.

Kel, the brewer/cook/grower/weaponsmith.  She has mostly been brewing after the first immigrant wave.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:21 pm »

I'll take kol.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:53 pm »

Drostan's Journal:  10th Felsite, 78

Now we have a throne fit for a king.  Or my office, if I ever get a permanent one.  Tosid created Mersethdetes, The Luck Ram, and obsidian throne worth 61200.  As he has no memory of its creation, I am sure no one will object if I forbid it until I have an office dug out.

19th Felsite, 78

Over breakfast it came out that I had never even held a pick.  Carver, being out of bones, decided to show me how to mine. We start tomorrow.

25th Felsite, 78

Our first champion!  Urist Rootseals is a legendary wrestler.  Two others are close behind.  We shall stand firm against the orcs. 

2nd Hematite, 78

Logem, the trainee that hurt himself on Fred's sword is back up and about.  He didn't seem to upset to be thrown back into sparring again.  We finished all of the masonry work on the new fortifications.  Now we just need to dig some channels.

Ground level

Upper level

7th Hematite, 78

We need to find the underground water.  Our pool had been emptied from all the water hauled to our injured, but it started raining today.  Hopefully it will fill quickly.

10th Hematite, 78

"Orcs!" Carver yelled as he ran over the bridge.  "More than last time.  And there are some big ones too."  He ran downstairs to clean his workshop in anticipation of fresh bones to carve.

He wasn't joking.

17 wrestlers
a spearmaster
8 carvers
5 maulers
a master lasher

32 in all.  Double the amount in our first siege.

Worse yet, our two best marksdwarves, Carver and Fred have told me that they would prefer not to be stuck in the military, so I have to find someone else to be archers.  I've drafted two currently useless craftdwarves and the hunter.  I will also be using a crossbow.  No risk for me getting stuck a marksdwarf, because I'm not very good.

I've handed out all of our weapons, but a few dwarves will have to wrestle.  Xieg has his hammer, and has sworn to not take a nap.

Our miners finished up the digging of channels and had just retreated to the fortress when the orcs arrived.

Orcs in the windy path

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »

@ 100killer9
Kol it is.  Do you want a nickname?

Also, I'm going to be updating the progress triggers at the end of this year.  I'd like to see if we can get something besides orcs sieging.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »

Oh dear. Don't be afraid to draft me if necessary. Wouldn't want fred to die or something untoward.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »

I'll draft Fred and Carver as unarmed dwarves.  They have been mining a lot, and will use their picks.  But they are only going to be backup.  I don't have enough leather armor for them and the trained soldiers.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 11:46:27 pm »

@ 100killer9
Kol it is.  Do you want a nickname?

Also, I'm going to be updating the progress triggers at the end of this year.  I'd like to see if we can get something besides orcs sieging.
100killer9 will do.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5