Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)  (Read 4243 times)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:12:48 pm »

I have decided to try running a community fort of my own using the same mod as SGVIII.  I hope to keep running it until fps becomes unmanagable, there is no interest, or we all die.

If you have followed any of the SG threads, I'd expect us to die first.   Even the mod's creator, Barbarossa the Seal God's description of the mod is:  For SG8 or anyone else who has a deathwish.  If we do die, I'll start a new fort using this mod, or whatever the current SG at that time is using.

This mod combines Relentless assault, the Orc Mod, and a few surprises.  I'll not be looking at any of the raw files prior to embark, so they will be surprises to me as well.

I'll be following a few of the SG rules.
Game Rules
1. Don't shut in, an impenetrable fortress is boring to watch and produces no Fun.
2. Leave an open path at ALL TIMES between the exterior and the main fortress centers. (farms, beds, dining hall)
4. Beware blue stones. The Prophet Barbarossa has forewarned us that certain varieties of blue stone are very dangerous in these parts.

There are plenty of dwarves available to claim.

So far the dwarves claimed are:

Zifnab:  Drostan
tehstefan: Fred
Xieg:  Xieg
Ringmaster:  Romano
darkflagrance:  Carver
Haika:  Berta

Just remember, we're going to be facing a great many opponents, most of whom have trap avoid.  We will be doing so with an open fortress, so if you have a suggestion to help the fort survive, feel free to share.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:25:26 pm by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress using Sparkgear VIII mod
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:47:52 pm »

Scrap of paper found in a bear den with some humanoid bones-

and our spy in the court of The Massive Daggers has informed me that the dwarvish kingdom has finally decided to expand.  After years of only ruling Ilirdodok and the surrounding countryside, and in a middle of a war with the neighboring kobolds, King Cog Gearfainted has sent a small party of what appears to be colonists secretly out of the city.  Rumors in the court indicate the king recieved a divine vision from his god of the kingdom being destroyed.  By what, the rumors do not say, but the king has been seen pacing feverishly while muttering about trees and has recently increased the number of hammerdwarves in the royal guard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though the spy has not yet been able to discover if the colonists have any secret missions from the king, he has been able to determine where they are going. 

Just to the east of the capitol, the traveling party has been spotted.

The party appears to be heading to an area with shrublands and low mountains that is very rich in resources.  I fear that if the dwarves are left alone, they will attempt to reach the ore they need to forge the secret and powerful weapons of old.  As this would ruin both our plans, I am leaving to meet with the ruler of The Heavenly Vegetation.  Our interests may be in common....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:15:29 pm by Zifnab »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:49 pm »

Wow, someone's using my mod! Would you mind letting me know about any major quirks in the game? I can't even remember what I did to it, and I may just continue this mod.

I'll let other people claim the dwarves.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »

I'd like a miner crossbowdwarf, if thats not a problem. You could have him mine or hunt, whatever.

Name: Fred.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »

Will do.  I'm sure there will be a few quirks.

@ tehstefan
Its wide open at this point.  A crossbow/miner will work well.  Any personality quirks?

Besides my dwarf and Fred, if no one else claims a dwarf by tomorrow, I'll go with this setup:

2 soldiers/? (probably 1 hammer and 1 sword)
1 crossbowdwarf/? (with some ambusher)
1 cook/farmer/?
1 brewer/farmer/?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:26:07 am by Zifnab »

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:06 am »

Been playing 3D DF for a while now, and this week I slapped on Dig Deeper.  I have now had a taste of hell, and now I want to know what the lowest reachable sphere tastes like. (I'm hoping like HFSx10).  Since I was too slow to get in on the first week of SGVIII, I have registered specifically to attempt this.

I would like to claim a Hammerdorf, named Xieg, with a minor in masonry.  Someones got to build walls to punt the squishies into.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:50 am »

Well, this mod isn't the MOST dangerous mod, but only because I had to rush and only mod the things that would be in sparkgear 8. I'll soon come out with a version that'll effect all locations.

(PROTIP:Embark on a location with underground water. It'll make loads of difference.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:00 am »

@ Xieg
Sounds great.  That will fit in well.

@ Barbarossa
We're embarking in a location with no surface water, an underground river, and an underground pool. Actually, this is going to be the most diverse site I have played in a long time with underground pool/river, magma pipe, sand, hfs, chasm, and pit in a 5x5.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:49 am »

Nice! Hopefully in my next version I'll have crazy things even for deserts,but for this one, underground rivers are just where it's AT.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:49 am »

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and get this started.  4 embark dwarves are still up for grabs.

They will be:
male axedwarf/carpenter
male grower/butcher/tanner/animal trainer/armorsmith
female brewer/cook/grower/weaponsmith
male ambusher/marksdwarf/bonecarver

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:49 am »

Drostan's Journal: 1st of Granite, 77

When you are the acknowledged bastard brother of the heir to the throne, you learn about dwarven justice quite young in life.  If the prince ruins an engraving, murders a kitten, or tosses an artifact mug into a volcano, do you think he gets beaten or sent to prison?  Not a chance.  But the bastard now......  He and the prince are playmates, friends even.  If he is beaten, surely the prince will see the error of his ways.

It wasn't all bad growing up around the prince.  I led a life of leisure, swimming in the royal pools, hunting with the royal family, and picking up some leadership skills from observation of the people around me.  My life was without meaning though.  I could never become a craftsman, that would be beneath one of even suspect royal blood.  If I gained too much skill in arms, I could be percieved a threat to lead a revolt against the king. In short, I have not led a dwarfly life.

But enough of memories.  My brother, Cog Gearfainted, now King Cog, came to me a few weeks past with an unusual look in his eyes.  "I've got a birthday coming up," he said. "I mandate that you construct a hunting lodge where I can get away from the war for a few days and relax."  "I'm sending you with a select few dwarves to a calm area in the east."

We arrived today.  The journey here has been fairly successful.  We came upon a large herd of deer, which we used to replenish our supplies.  The wagon had partially tipped while crossing a river a few days before, and we lost some food and other items, so the meat was welcome.  We didn't have time to tan the hides, but if this site is as rich in game as the king says, we won't have any shortage of food or leather in the coming days.

I'm looking forward to this assignment.  First time in my life I've actually been asked to do something of any importance.  I think I'm going to go hunting with one of the guides while the rest of the group gets the camp set up.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:36 am »

I'll claim the Bonecarver ;D. Just call him or her Carver, please.

...My first ever community fortress dwarf...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:36 am »

Lets take a look at the dwarves my brother sent with me.

He sent two of his personal guard.  Trainees really....but a trustworthy sort. 
Xieg, a hammerdwarf and mason.

and an axedwarf and carpenter

There are also two hunting experts
an ambusher, marksdwarf, bonecarver who has just informed me he now wishes to be referred to as Carver

Fred, an ambusher/marksdwarf with a talent for mining.

Two dwarves for running the camp
a grower/butcher/tanner/animal trainer/armorsmith

a grower/brewer/cook/weaponsmith

and finally myself, an administrator/ambusher/swimmer

Blame my father for my named profession.  More a bad dirty joke than anything cruel, much like I remember him.  But he thought it amusing, my mother being a farmer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:42:25 am by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:16:36 pm »

Drostan's Journal:  22nd Granite 77

Xieg and Fred broke out the picks, and have started to remove slopes from a hillside to improve security.  They picked a spot near some pools, so we won't have to go far if Sarvesh forbid, we need to drink water.  Carver and I have been hunting, quite successfully if you ask me.  We've already killed nine mountain goats, groundhogs, and marmots.  King Cog may be disappointed if he wants a hunting challenge, but it sounded like he just wanted some easy slaughter.
Our two miners have also started carving us out a living space below the hill.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:42:00 pm »

Drostan's Journal: 1st Hematite, 77

Its been a while since my last entry.  A lot has happened.  I realized after my animal kills started rotting that I might have to do more than hunt, drink and supervise to get this hunting lodge built.  There is a lot to do, especially if we want to be ready for our hated rivals, the kobolds of Brilayrbis.  I've been butchering and tanning my kills, and even tried my hand at masonry and smoothing stone.

We're getting a twisted path set up to the west.  Hopefully we can get a small fortification set up above the path for Fred and Carver to shoot any invading forces from.  A trade depot has been set up, though it doesn't have wagon access yet just in case any friendly merchants come through.  We'll have some skull totems and food to trade if they do.

We still need to set up a sleeping quarters and a dining area.  I've been holding off because of the tales Carver tells us while we're gathered around the still at night.  His father was a merchant from a dwarven civilization that lives far to the east.  On his travels through these lands, he swore to his dying day that sometimes at night the trees themselves would come alive.  He also mentioned large roving bands of bandits and thieves, hence the fortifications.  The way Carver's eyes twitch while he talks about the trees is starting to make me paranoid.

The others are starting to complain about sleeping on the floor and having to eat standing up, so I had best plan some rooms for us.

I mentioned to Xieg this very morning that getting a hunting lodge up to kingly standards might take a little longer than I was expecting, but I thought we should still be able to finish and return to the capital by autumn. 

Xieg shook his head sadly, reached into his giant cave spider silk dress, and pulled out a badly stained letter affixed with the royal seal.  He said flatly, "The king told me to give you this as soon as you started thinking about returning." Then he walked off muttering.  The only thing I caught was, "killed by demons in the night".

I'm opening the letter now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5