Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Megaproject Help: Vault 10  (Read 4574 times)

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Help: Vault 10
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 04:08:18 pm »

Put all the kittens in the fort into cages behind floodgates, if the vault dwellers start tantrumming, pull the lever which floods the vault with cats.
That would not kill my dorfs, but would kill my framerate.  I'm serious, it's already less than twenty.  My computer might explode.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 04:39:12 pm »

I was joking, I just like the idea of a vault full of cats.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 04:41:14 pm »

I'm serious, it's already less than twenty.
Oh poor you!
The suggestion as actually a good one, tantruming dwarves will punt the cats around instead of each other and gain happiness that way, and if there is no justice in the "vault", then there will be no consequences.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 11:01:35 pm »

I'm serious, it's already less than twenty.
Oh poor you!
The suggestion as actually a good one, tantruming dwarves will punt the cats around instead of each other and gain happiness that way, and if there is no justice in the "vault", then there will be no consequences.
Yeah, I'm abandoning this fortress and starting over in a smaller map with a smaller population.  I still plan on completing the Vault in my new fort, it will just take a few more days than I planned.

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 12:05:52 am »

Elves, Humans, Goblins and foreign Dwarves can't be tamed (enslaved) and also won't breed on the map because they are part of civilisations.
you could use dwarf companion to tame/unhostile them

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 03:18:12 am »

DO what the guy above said

you will have tamed elfs,humans,goblins etc.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »

UPDATE!

Work on the project is proceeding.  After another attempt at a fort that I had to abandon, I have made great progress in the settlement of Bristlelance.  The building that will house the vault is almost done.  It consists of seven stories, two below ground, all made of pure ryholite.  The first floor wall consists of rhylolite with lead sandwiched between it, I found a Galena deposit.  Thanks for that suggestion.

Construction of the bedrooms and the dining room is complete, with all cabinets, chests, chairs, and tables made of solid iron, courtesy of the goblins who insist on trying to ambush me even though I have wrestlers who can punch them across half of the fucking map.  I also have a magma forge/smelter complex (no sand on the map, regretfully), and an obsidian making room that doubles as a captive incinerator, but neither of those are part of the vault.  The good news is that plans for the magma self destruct mechanism are back in.  I have constructed the dwarfonuclear reactor according to Foe's blueprints, and should be ready to test it soon.  I only used the centermost part of the design, but that should provide me with several thousand power.  The river should soon be accessed to provide a limitless supply of water.  I plan to use iron grates to keep any unwelcome wildlife out of course.  Nearly thirty iron grates.

I still haven't worked out exactly how to make the workshops.  I had some, but they didn't look as aesthetically pleasing as I wanted, so I'll have to figure that out.  I'm thinking of putting them in the corners of the room and using the rest of the space for specialized stockpiles.

Work on the fluid logic for the vault doors is underway.  The construction of the vault doors themselves has been delayed to to a steel shortage, but I should be able to trade for that.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »

Here is a pic of the reactor.  Water will be emptied into it from above, and it will in turn empty into the fluid logic at left and the farms at top.  I haven't placed the floodgates yet, as you can see.

This is the level above that.  On the very left you can see where I am tapping the river.  The hatch at left is where water will drain into the reactor.  As you can see I have only placed a few of the grates so far.  But when I'm done the entire passage will be grate-filled, all the way to the screw pump.  And I'm hooking them all up to the right most of those two levers so that they can be retracted for maintenance (the left lever controls the hatch.)  The gear is hooked up to the central gear in the reactor, and it will be used to transfer power to wherever I need it (mainly the fluid logic.)

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:38 pm »

Oh, and this is my dorfen tribute to Space Invaders.  I had nothing better to do with that obsidian.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]