Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Megaproject Help: Vault 10  (Read 4570 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Megaproject Help: Vault 10
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »

Your welcome. The issue with it (least for me) is time to time it runs out of water. It slowly evaporates away. I had to refill mine after 3 years of use. Also, connect whatever your using the power for straight to the wheel that moves the pump. So much easier that way.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 11:36:09 pm »

Your welcome. The issue with it (least for me) is time to time it runs out of water. It slowly evaporates away. I had to refill mine after 3 years of use. Also, connect whatever your using the power for straight to the wheel that moves the pump. So much easier that way.
I'll rig up a system to refill it.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 11:43:27 pm »

Here is the design, It may rape the water, so you may to secretly tap a river, and you may need to use a few filters ( pumps ) , and pressure equalizers ( pumps ) .

One of these should be able to power your power hungry fort's demands!

To start it up, apply flow.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:45:38 pm by Foa »

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 11:51:06 pm »

Here is the design, It may rape the water, so you may to secretly tap a river, and you may need to use a few filters ( pumps ) , and pressure equalizers ( pumps ) .

One of these should be able to power your power hungry fort's demands!

To start it up, apply flow.

That will also work.  I may just use the innermost square of that to make room for some of the fluid logic on the same level.  That would still give me tons of power.  Could you give me the design for the repeater?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 11:55:06 pm »

Here is the large version, I'll find a video of a more condensed version.
[Data Deleted]

Found it!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-281-repeaterinaction
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:56:52 pm by Foa »

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:42 am »

So I want to construct a self contained vault, complete with as many items made of metal as I can.  That would include that bins and the barrels used to contain my food.  Is there any way to tweak a custom stockpile so that it will include only metal barrels? 

If you're going to seal it off completely, you could make regular stockpiles with max bin set to 0 (c key in the q menu I think?), and a furniture stockpile that only accepts bins and only metal materials.  Then when it's closed off, adjust the max bin values again and the dwarfs will use the metal bins that they have.  For the barrels (which I assume are for booze only) you'd need to have your own still inside with a metal barrel stockpile nearby.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 07:43:47 am »

Wait, can you actually breed goblins/elves/humans if you capture male/female?

Say, human for example. Take a male and a female that you captured. Put them in a room in cages together. Link the cages to levers outside the room and seal it off. Can you release them and have them breed in that sealed room over and over? Do you need to feed them?

By the way, if you need perpetual motion designs, ask me. I made a really good one and as for wells, yes, you can. I think (if done right...).

I can imagine it now. The Dwarven 'matchmaker' room.

Two humans are chained next to each other, and curious dwarves watch through crystal glass windows. One dwarf has to hum the "BOW CHICKA BOW WOW" tune until they eventually make love. Naturally, no human would do anything of the sort under such circumstances.

Or would they? :3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 09:21:59 am »

Instead of making a steel wall, a layer of cage traps, and another steel wall, you should make a steel wall, a lead wall, and then a steel wall again. In modern underground radiation waste deposits, a lead wall is usually stabilised with steel to prevent a quake from destroying the fragile casing.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:00 am »

Here is the large version, I'll find a video of a more condensed version.
[Data Deleted]

Found it!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-281-repeaterinaction
Yes, I think I can make that work.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 10:16:35 am »

So I want to construct a self contained vault, complete with as many items made of metal as I can.  That would include that bins and the barrels used to contain my food.  Is there any way to tweak a custom stockpile so that it will include only metal barrels? 

If you're going to seal it off completely, you could make regular stockpiles with max bin set to 0 (c key in the q menu I think?), and a furniture stockpile that only accepts bins and only metal materials.  Then when it's closed off, adjust the max bin values again and the dwarfs will use the metal bins that they have.  For the barrels (which I assume are for booze only) you'd need to have your own still inside with a metal barrel stockpile nearby.
That's a good idea too.  I might seal it off temporarily to do that and install the fluid logic later.  I was also planning for food in metal bins.  That might actually be doable, due to a serious production error I now have over seven thousand food stored, and have shut down all my farms.  I've got so much food I'm running out of space in my fortress, and my dorfs have been living on stored food for about a year and barely made a dent in it.  So I might be able to rig something up with a farm to make the metal barrel thing work out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:18:21 am by Paradox »

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 10:23:20 am »

Good news!  I've managed to capture my first elf, during this siege I'm having.

I'm still not sure if elves can breed in captivity.  It falls to me to advance dwarven science.  In fact, that give me an idea for a short fic.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 01:39:55 pm »

maybe you have to add a tag like [Tamable] or something

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 02:38:09 pm »

Elves, Humans, Goblins and foreign Dwarves can't be tamed (enslaved) and also won't breed on the map because they are part of civilisations.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 02:52:02 pm »

isnt there a way to modify it?

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 03:48:23 pm »

Put all the kittens in the fort into cages behind floodgates, if the vault dwellers start tantrumming, pull the lever which floods the vault with cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4