Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject Help: Vault 10  (Read 4568 times)

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Help: Vault 10
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:22 pm »

I have tamed the roaring river, bending it to my will.  I have tapped the limitless power of magma, using it to power my furnaces and forges.  But I really need some help getting my stockpiles to work right.

Allow me to explain.

After my last megaproject, channeling magma across half to map to a specially designed magma furnace building, I have nine masons, limitless metalworking capacity, and I want to do something.  Inspired by the saga of Headshoots and the extreme solution they used to save the fort from a tantrum spiral, I have decided to construct a dwarfcology, a self contained vault in which I can hide some of my sane dwarfs in the even of a tantrum spiral.  You might say that this is useless, but a stupid dwarf trick doesn't have to be useful.  It just has to be hard.  So I want to construct a self contained vault, complete with as many items made of metal as I can.  That would include that bins and the barrels used to contain my food.  Is there any way to tweak a custom stockpile so that it will include only metal barrels?  And do you guys have any more suggestions for cools stuff my vault could use?

It's called vault ten because that's how many dwarfs it will be designed to hold, although a couple of workshops and wood and stone stockpiles will be in place for emergency use, as well a few steel picks.  There's no source of actual iron on the map, but invading goblins have provided me with more iron stuff than I can melt.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Megaproject Help: Vault 10
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:55 pm »

Question: How are you going to separate sane from insane?

I'd design that first.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:20:01 pm »

i think you can enable the material the barrel is made from or you have to make only metal barrels and let them use them because its the only barrel they can find.

Cool ides

-a core that provides unlimited amount of energy
-a heavy secured lockdown gate (like in the game)
-a zoo!
-a self destruct mechanism

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

I think the only way is to forbid/destroy/hide/notmake any non-metal barrels.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:25:25 pm »

Question: How are you going to separate sane from insane?

I'd design that first.
Each bedroom will have a lever and a door.  Sane dwarfs will have all other labors turned off and assigned a lever.  I will instruct them to pull it.  They should then go to pull them unless they're on break or something, at which point I will lock the door.  Once all the dwarfs I want are in or until I cannot wait any longer, I will then close the massive steel floodgates at the entrance, and then release the dwarfs from their rooms.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:29:42 pm »

i think you can enable the material the barrel is made from or you have to make only metal barrels and let them use them because its the only barrel they can find.

Cool ides

-a core that provides unlimited amount of energy
-a zoo!
Oh, I didn't even think of a self destruct mechanism.  I've got to have one of those.  Maybe I'll hook it up to my magma system.  As for the power core, I'm considering a self contained perpetual motion water wheel system, assuming I can figure out how to build one of the damn things.  But I'll have to have some sort of power core.  I don't know what I'd hook it up to, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Question: Would it be possible to hook up a well to a perpetual motion plant?

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »

-a zoo!

Lockdown gate is easy, pressure plates, linked to gear mechanisms linked to a screw pump, have dwarves on all the pressure plates to enable all the gear mechanisms and start the pump.  Use the pump to pump water onto a pressure plate and hold it there with a floodgate.  Place two levers, one inside and one outside the vault to open the floodgate and let the water on the pressure plate drain away.  Have the pressure plate linked to a row of floodgates, these floodgates are the lockdown gate, you need several co-ordinated dwarves to stand on pressure plates to open them.  Have another lever in the vault to enable all the mechanisms linked to the screw pump to open the vault from inside.

A zoo is easy, just use cages.

A self destruct mechanism, build the vault in a bottomless pit?  Install floodgates holding back a magma pit?  Caged dragons?  The possibilities are endless.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:42:48 pm »

yes a zoo is easy to make but what wil the cages contain?

the first few generations will make and meet humans ,elfs and gobos and so on
but the further wil be locked down in a vault not knowing the outside.

if you are going to make a zoo you have to have a human,elf,goblin,and every specie on your map and if possible get a breeding pair

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »

yes a zoo is easy to make but what wil the cages contain?

the first few generations will make and meet humans ,elfs and gobos and so on
but the further wil be locked down in a vault not knowing the outside.

if you are going to make a zoo you have to have a human,elf,goblin,and every specie on your map and if possible get a breeding pair
You devious little bastard.  I might do it.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 02:52:37 pm »

Legendary dining room is *vital*.  So is a small irrigated farm room.  This way you can get food, cloth and booze and keep your dwarves happy with the legendary dining room.  I suggest you use a cistern of some kind below the vault for drinking water, should your military dwarves become injured, and for irrigating the farm rooms.  Bonus points for connecting the cistern to the river and filtering the river through ~50 fortifications.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:39:42 pm »

and btw cant the core be magma powered?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 03:42:29 pm »

Bonus points for filtering the river with 10 layers of different filters, to 'clean' the water from the river. (Grates, Bars, Fortifications, etc.)

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »

This may end up being even more ambitious than I had planned.  I've never done fluid logic before, but I really like the idea of using it to open and close the vault door.  For the door itself I plan on two rows of five steel floodgates each.  I suppose on the subterranean layer below that I could put my fluid logic and power core.  I already have a system in place to get water from the river in the far corner or the map to wherever I want it.  The only thing I'm using it for right now is drowning goblins, but it could be use for vault 10.  Is there any way to cut off my water system altogether, so that I can fill it up once and disconnect it for good?  I want the vault to be completely self sufficient, and the piping needed for a constant flow of water would make it vulnerable to attack.

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 08:26:58 pm »

All right, my plans thus far.

- The structure will consist of a building twenty tiles square and an undetermined number of stories high, with one level below ground.

- Walls will be two tiles thick, with a layer of cage traps sandwiched between the two layers of walls to catch any megabeasts who threaten us.
   - All traps will be made with basalt mechanisms, all cages will be copper.

- All barrels will be aluminum, all bins copper.  This part will be a bitch, I'll probably have to eliminate all my other food stockpiles and barrels and hope my dorfs move the barrels around right before they starve.
   - One wooden bin, itself an artifact, will be used to store any artifacts my dorfs might make while in the vault.

- A double layer of steel floodgates will be the only entrance to the fortress.  Fluid logic will hopefully be used to require two dorfs to pull levers to seal it and make sure it cannot be opened from the outside when closed from the inside.
  - I've never used fluid logic before, so I'll accept any help I can get.  If all else fails, I'll just hook it up to a couple of levers, but I hope to do better than that.  This is a stupid dwarf trick after all.

- A perpetual motion machine using screw pumps and water wheels will be our power generator.  I don't know what we'll hook up to it, I'm willing to take suggestions.

- A well attached to a cistern will serve as a water source.

- There will be pre-arranged stockpiles of booze, food, metal, wood, and stone.

- There will be appropriate workshops, farms, stills, and such to provide for needs long term.  Tower-cap farming is impossible due to a lack of underground rivers and such, so I'll just include a lot of stockpiled wood.

- Military barracks will be used, with stockpiles of high quality weapons and armor of all kinds (all steel)

- A self destruct mechanism will be included to flood the vault with magma if our defense are breached or I get bored.

- High quality metal items for bedrooms, but no noble rooms.  In such an emergency such dead weight would be left to die.

- High quality statue garden, dining room, and possibly a zoo depending on if I can get some rare animals, to keep up my dorf's spirits.

- High quality dyed uniforms, preferably all in the same color if I can figure out how to do that.  Think vault dweller uniforms.

Any suggestions or tips?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »

Wait, can you actually breed goblins/elves/humans if you capture male/female?

Say, human for example. Take a male and a female that you captured. Put them in a room in cages together. Link the cages to levers outside the room and seal it off. Can you release them and have them breed in that sealed room over and over? Do you need to feed them?

By the way, if you need perpetual motion designs, ask me. I made a really good one and as for wells, yes, you can. I think (if done right...).
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4