Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rotating Plates  (Read 5506 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating Plates
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:25 am »

or to build only the central boss, using less stone and leaving the area open.
I don't understand this, please elaborate.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating Plates (was Moving walls)
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:06 pm »

Code: [Select]
#######
##.|.##
==.|.==
##.|.##
#######
# = wall
| = horizontal axel.
= horizontal axel
. = empty spave...

Axels. That's a good idea!

With axels, gearboxes and a rotating plate you can transmit the same source of power to different machines with a lever. You could have a waterwheel farm and multiple pump setups that you alternate.

The simplest method, put a windmill over the gearbox and with just a gearbox and a lever you've got three optional power routes and an off position.
machine1
##|##
##|##
##G#-machine2
#####
##|##
machine3

Bonus points for whoever manages to think of a contraption that uses the power to activate the rotation of the plate (through pump and pressure plate, for example).

i think this whole power transfer idea, while interesting, is overshadowed by toggleable and multi-position levers, as suggested in the traps and mechanisms megathread. it should be possible to do it this way, of course, but it should be rendered redundant and inefficient to do so. and X position lever that activates a different component in each position is way more practical.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »

but you cant trigger levers can you?
which sucks... really should be able to have something trigger something which THEN triggers a lever.
all without biological control... and pressure plates which i dont like...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »

The most important question on everybody's mind... do creatures standing on a rotating plate when it's rotated get flung?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

"Rotation speed"

So, you could make a flinging machine, a blender, or a nice little safe slowly rotating bridge.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 02:08:14 am »

"Rotation speed"

So, you could make a flinging machine, a blender, or a nice little safe slowly rotating bridge.
OOOH OOOH OOOH

A ROTATION PLATE WITH ADAMANTINE SERATED DISCS!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 03:37:44 am »

The most important question on everybody's mind... do creatures standing on a rotating plate when it's rotated get flung?

My suggestion was just about the simplest way of implementing this feature. A simple clockwise transposition of cells each time the rotation is activated.

Algorithmically it's so simple there's very little chance of creating anomalies, as long as buildings both inside and outside the rotating plate are not allowed.

The simple concept adds very much for very little, and adding any extra features should be carefully considered. Which doesn't preclude the brainstorming that's bringing so many great ideas.

About the flinging thing, I don't think I'd use it much, as we can already do that with a bridge.

About the multiposition levers, I prefer to build complex behaviours with simple mechanisms than to have the complex mechanisms themselves.

In other words: Why not a scripted lever? A programmable lever? An AI controlled lever?

There's no limit on how much complexity you can bypass; but I don't think it's the objective. I'd rather have the tools to make a repeater with a pressure plate and a floodgate than a repeater lever I can simply build.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »

i started a multi position lever thread, can you take a look at it and see if you still have objections?

we should also take further talk of levers there to avoid a derail.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48322.0
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 08:43:48 pm »

As of now, pumps and siege engines can be oriented to face any of 4 directions, but workshops cannot. This suggestion implies that they should.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 04:25:49 am »

- Raising ground:

Its a single cell construction. Walkable when "resting", equivalent to a wall when "moved". Anything that's on it when it moves gets pushed to the upper z level.

By single cell, do you mean that it could only be one tile wide?

Because I love this notion not for the ability to have walls spring up from the ground, but the possibility of having a 3x3 section that I could build on rise up. This is because I can easily envision building a craftshop or something along similar lines above it and just raising the entire shop up next to the Trade Depot. No more hauling goblet upon goblet to the nearest stockpile, but just leave them in the craftshop until a caravan shows up and then it's only a matter of hauling them a couple of steps to the Depot.

Of course, that could be done by building the shop next door, but this way, I can simply drop the shop back down underground and out of the way when I'm finished. That and I could always completely ring the Depot with such shops underground and not block the route for wagons.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 11:43:29 pm »

This suggestion could be a easy way of making adders and subtracters in base 4, as follows:
digit (set to 0):
###7###
#RRPRR#
#RRRRR#
..RRR..
#RRRRR#
#RR.RR#
###.###

# - wall
7 - water
P - pressure plate conected to the next digit
. - floor
R - rotating plate with wall on it

adding n would be a mater of rotating the plate n places, if it overflows to the '0' slot, the pressure plate triggers, incrementing the next digit. when a 'slot' rotates away from the water, the water drains away. a subtracter would be the same, but rotate the other way, and have the plate in the '4' slot.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:26 am »

This suggestion could be a easy way of making adders and subtracters in base 4, as follows

We could do a trap that closes after the tenth time a pressure plate is stepped on.

On other rotator ideas, we could use the vending machines method of selecting coins to select invaders by size. To send goblins to the magma and dragons to the cage traps. :)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:35 pm »

I might then take this opportunity to suggest elevators, as it is in the same theme as the other suggestions.

An elevator would be a costly thing to build, as they are very elaborate. I wouls suggest a rope/chain, a block and 2/3 mechanisms for every tile of elevator.

An elevator would allow any axb rectangle to move up and down vertically. This would be at a faster rate than walking up/down (perhaps 1-5 ticks per z-level).

An elevator, like any other mechanism, would require power. The power required would be a function of the area of the elevator and the weight on it. If the elevator does not have enough power, it does not work. It it has just enough power, it works slowly. If it has plenty of power, it works fast.

An elevator could not be built just anywhere, however. It would have to be built with a base or a ceiling. It is this base or ceiling where the power must be routed through. The elevator would not be able to travel on this level.

This would also alow for dwarf-powered elevators. It would give rise to the new skill, elevator operating. It is similar to the pump operation skill, except it allows the dwarf to operate an elevator. A more skilled elevator operator would allow the dwarf to input more power into the system, and thus make the elevator work faster. A dwarf could operate the elevator either from the base level, the ceiling level, or inside the elevator. With suitable axles, a dwarf could use a machine to generate power away from the elevator.

This could be tied in with a more realistic hauling system. Currently, the dwarves can happily haul around objects which weigh ten times as much as themselves. Elevators would allow dwarves to have to use machinery to efficiently haul heavy objects.

This could also allow for elevator stockpiles, or dumbwaiters. One of your fancier nobles might demand a dumbwaiter to bring food and drink to their dining room, so they do not have to associate with the plebs. It could also give your exploratory mining team supplies as they worked without them having to return to the main stockpiles.

Elevators could be built on, allowing for a range of uses. You could load up your trade depot safely in the bowels of you fort, before bringing it up ot the trader level. Alternatively, if you can have the caravans come down on a sufficiently large elevator. Additionally, you could build your legendary dining room on an elevator, allowing your entire fort to access it form the level thay they want to.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »

Elevators are old news. We've all had our dreams about vertical transportation :) Toady considered putting in multi-z-level structures and modified pathing this version to accomodate things like ladders and elevators, but it was way too much to tack on at the end of an update. He is trying to move things through and get the next version out right now, so we won't be seeing those for a long time. You can see his latest comment on the subject in (yesterday's?) devlog.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 [2]