Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: OCD, enemy of DF fun  (Read 4349 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OCD, enemy of DF fun
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 03:54:29 pm »

i had some great fun recently...    decided to do the 'build a fortress INSIDE a volcano' site.    initial 7...   well, they all died in caveins because trees spawned in the sand above them, but the last one survived until migrants arrived...    and then they all died from fire imps after i breached the magma pipe.

reclaim #1 -> got 14 dwarves to start.    made them all miners and wrestlers and carved a large circular area that was larger than the magma pipe, and things were going well.   the edges of the circle were coming along well...   until i forgot to add supports when carving out the inside of the circles to the edges of the pipe.    lost about half of my dwarves to caveins, some went beserk and had to be put down, others stopped caring.

migrants came and topped me up over 20, and i had more than enough picks for them all, so they all were miners now.

fatal error #1: second level from bottom...   i forget to undesignate the inner walls of the magma pipe for digging and all of a sudden i get spammed with messages of being on fire...   and they all died.

reclaim #2:    14 more...    more picks and drinks and food...   but this time, i spawned INSIDE the volcano on a ledge covered in magma...   before i could even get them to move, they all stepped in the level 1 puddles of magma and caught on fire.

reclaim #3   see above, except ONE survives and tantrums on me, destroying the bridge from the starting area, then goes melancoly on me and throws himself off the cliff into the magma.

reclaim #4  i get everyone out of the pit before they all stupidly path over the last of the level 1 magma tiles by having one guy rebuild the bridge and the rest sit on the wagon.   now i resumed clearing out the magma pipe.

and thats where i am now with this fort

edit:  and sigh...     there goes all byt 2 dwarves...     they tried to fetch something from the flooded bottom level and all got burned up...    reclaim #5 will be coming soon i think....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:58:56 pm by Drakis »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21:00 pm »

And it caught it on fire and sank into the swamp!

BUT THE SIXTH ONE HELD!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20:18 am »

Wow. Azazel's fortress is way more orderly than any of mine. I always have a small, asymmetrical workshop area near the surface, and then a series of tunnels with rooms on the sides for beds. And then medium sized sprawling rectangular rooms everywhere, used for miscellaneous everything.

I am the anti OCD.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 12:41:42 am »

Wow. Azazel's fortress is way more orderly than any of mine. I always have a small, asymmetrical workshop area near the surface, and then a series of tunnels with rooms on the sides for beds. And then medium sized sprawling rectangular rooms everywhere, used for miscellaneous everything.

I am the anti OCD.

so that means your DCO? disasterously crazy overlord?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06:11 am »

Maybe. Probably.

I think I'll try making a fortress that only fills one screen area on many z-levels. That might end up being slightly less disorganized.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:26 am »

sounds interesting! would solve the problem of having to scroll around hte map alot :P

sould need maaaanyyyy stairs

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2009, 01:10:30 am »

I've had dwarves die of hunger because I've had everyone assigned to dumping rock into the lava to clear the floors, even the farmers...
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Incendax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2009, 10:36:54 am »

OCD kills me as well. I make my fortresses fit on a single screen in the corner of the map. They usually span about 6 Z-Levels not including any elaborate entrance or basement traps. I tend to use centralized stairwells to reduce the distance any dwarf has to travel. I also tend to use a Communist approach, with all 7 of my starting dwarves being Proficient Miners and Proficient Engravers and no other skills. (That's what Migrants are for!)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

Not to advocate reckless alcoholism, but I suffer from OCD greatly, and the greatest tactic I have is to get drunk.

A bottle of pimms and I'm singing like a sailor, TIME TO STRIKE THE EARTH!

Then come back sober and look at your creation.... and attempt to play it...

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:05 am »

I've had pretty much the same problem. All my forts seem to follow a certain pattern, and even in dangerous areas I've managed to survive. However, my latest fort, Lusterlens has proven to be very problematic. I got this idea I thought was pretty cool, but didn't think there'd be this much trouble.

That looks like an awesome fortress site. Not only can you build on other side of the bridge, but you can also build bridge back to orginal side that is only accessible inside fortress :D
I have kind of OCD aswell, I just have to make my fortress as effective as possible. This is why I like maps exactly like this, with much of intresting stuff I can do.
I also like to kill or block of migrants, playing with only starting dwarves and their offspring. Takes a long time, but atleast you learn to respect dwarven lives! And you learn more sneaky tactics to slaugher the evil elves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]