Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: OCD, enemy of DF fun  (Read 4354 times)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OCD, enemy of DF fun
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 05:58:34 am »

I agree, challenges are they way to break to OCD. Try an under-magma/water fortress, a glacial fortress, single dwarf challenge etc. Either that or megaprojects.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 07:03:44 am »

Maaan are you guys picky, the only things I look for are sand and flux I barely even try to avoid aquifers!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:05:34 am »

OGC is my enemy. It gets messy whenever it interferes with my fortress building!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:36 am »

I got fed up with overplanning my mine shafts, so I started just hollowing out the entire site and building walls as needed. I find the organized chaos of dropping rooms wherever there's space when I need them gives my fort a good, natural feel. The key is not to optimize space, but to squander it! Even on a nanofortress, there are far more tiles than you'll ever need. Don't shy away from sprawling caverns.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:36 am »

Whenever I get bored I just cut out some resource I'm used to having or doing something weird.

I'm about to build an aboveground fort.  Nothing can be underground except graves, tombs and Water systems.  Even mining must be done open pit quarry style.  Basements are permitted as long as they have no natural ground above them. Buildings must at least try make sense architecturally. (ie. No buildings only 3 tiles wide on the bottom floors that explode outward higher up to use less building space.) Megaprojects can break this rule as long as the building serves no real purpose. Seiges on. No magma on the map. Final Destination.

That oughta be entertaining for awhile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:28 am »

Pick some crazy natural features and incorporate them into your fortress. That will force you out of a pre-planned layout.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 10:27:10 am »

On my second fortress, so pretty much random.  Ok, completely random apart from my mine shaft layout.  I think my megaproject will be to build a huge tower of wood.

And then burn it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:34 am »

Building a fortress around some feature or other tends to give them a nice, organic feel. Build a fortress to, say, a cave river. Pick a long river, and situate all housing, production and whatever other facilities you want right next to it. Try to favour the river as a route from one part of the fortress to another. Use ramps instead of stairs whenever feasible. Pretend cave-ins are still in and have supports in every large room. Maybe some small rooms too. And make some important tunnels too narrow on purpose, and later move all the walls and workshops around or floor over parts of the river to make them wider. And give the dwarves some time off whenever there's nothing vitally urgent to do. That way they'll be partying all the time and ignoring you, making friends, and going insane with anger and grief when anyone in the whole fortress dies.

EDIT: Oh, and also, If you have any extra artifacts you don't like, like basalt mugs or something, leave them outside. The kobolds will steal them, which causes more kobolds to come next time, stealing more stuff. And suddenly you have about ten kobold ambushing parties hopping up from every shrub.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:52:22 am by Soadreqm »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:34 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and also, If you have any extra artifacts you don't like, like basalt mugs or something, leave them outside. The kobolds will steal them, which causes more kobolds to come next time, stealing more stuff. And suddenly you have about ten kobold ambushing parties hopping up from every shrub.
Plus it sends the maker into a tantrum (if you haven't already applied magma).

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »

Take a turn in a succession game. You'll be stuck with years of previous anarchy and cross-management.

Building around a feature is also nice, which can be anything from a cave river/chasm to a particularly nice rock formation.

Find an area with steep cliffs, and build a cliff city: all workshops and rooms must have a wall exposed to the outside, preferably with windows for the bedrooms. Bonus points if the entire thing is done "aboveground", so you aren't using stairways on the interior. Extra bonus points if it's actually suspended, rather than carved into the cliff face.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 05:48:39 pm »

Design an aboveground asymmetric fortress. Also minimal traps and minimal underground expansions.

It does wonders.

I was actually working on that, but the irregularity irks me so I kinda let it fall into obscurity. I'm thinking about going back.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »

Take a turn in a succession game. You'll be stuck with years of previous anarchy and cross-management.

Building around a feature is also nice, which can be anything from a cave river/chasm to a particularly nice rock formation.

Find an area with steep cliffs, and build a cliff city: all workshops and rooms must have a wall exposed to the outside, preferably with windows for the bedrooms. Bonus points if the entire thing is done "aboveground", so you aren't using stairways on the interior. Extra bonus points if it's actually suspended, rather than carved into the cliff face.

I'd also make hanging bird cages with metal up down stairs as chains to hold them up....

That can be detached with random levers.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 06:00:45 pm »

I've had pretty much the same problem. All my forts seem to follow a certain pattern, and even in dangerous areas I've managed to survive. However, my latest fort, Lusterlens has proven to be very problematic. I got this idea I thought was pretty cool, but didn't think there'd be this much trouble.

Apparently dwarves in reclaim parties are pretty much friends with each other. So if one or two dies, a lot of dwarves will get really upset. The tantrum cascades that have destroyed my fort once and almost a second time support this theory. So I suggest you take a reclaim party to a dangerous terrain
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

Trying to dig into a nice rock-formation would be very dwarven, I think ;)

Sadly, I haven't really found any map with small, spiky mountain-stuff... it has to be a pain to cram those rooms in the available space - fuck pre planning ^^

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:46 pm »

Build an above-ground fortress. In a Terrifying Biome.
If at first you don't succeed...
Reclaim, reclaim, and reclaim again.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4