Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: OCD, enemy of DF fun  (Read 4352 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OCD, enemy of DF fun
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

Eh, I find OCD-ness makes things fun. Sure, I may work from the same basic design, but I can happily micromanage designating the bedrooms for mining out for days.

Exploratory mining is kinda tense and exciting.

And major renovations occupy me for weeks. I recently spent a weekend turning my above-ground trade depot and entranceway from soil to constructed stone wall.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 11:01:37 pm »

OCD kills me. In fact, it's so bad I literally can't play the game.

I'm still only on my second fortress ever, because I refuse to advance the game when I come up against something that I HAVE to do now- like digging out nobles bedrooms, which is my current problem. I've not played the game for a week, besides loading it up and designating-undesignating for hours- because I'm that damn OCD about making sure my nobles bedrooms are PERFECT.

I hate myself. :(
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 11:30:37 pm »

Demetrious, copy some from the wiki or find out about the macro tools.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 11:37:37 pm »

Design an aboveground asymmetric fortress. Also minimal traps and minimal underground expansions.

It does wonders.

I was actually working on that, but the irregularity irks me so I kinda let it fall into obscurity. I'm thinking about going back.
Know that a lack of symmetry can do amazing things.

Now that was planned horribly much, but I made it after designs of real castles. Look for some architecture you want to emulate and emulate it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 12:14:07 am »

Well, the problem is that you simply CAN'T work around your horrible problem of efficiency. Therefore, leave it to chance.
Here's a link to a random dungeon generator. You can input your preferences and bam, a fort out of your control
http://www.bin.sh/gaming/tools/dungeon.cgi
Also, if you have some dice, you can try that out too. For instance, roll for the direction of a hallway, one through four being each of the orthogonal directions, five and six being up and down (pack the house.) then roll again for the length of a hallway, then just make up your own rules for rooms and the size of said rooms. I'd upload a picture of my current fortress' housing district, but it's late. Tomorrow I might, and then you can see.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 12:28:50 am »

Well, the problem is that you simply CAN'T work around your horrible problem of efficiency. Therefore, leave it to chance.
Here's a link to a random dungeon generator. You can input your preferences and bam, a fort out of your control
http://www.bin.sh/gaming/tools/dungeon.cgi
Also, if you have some dice, you can try that out too. For instance, roll for the direction of a hallway, one through four being each of the orthogonal directions, five and six being up and down (pack the house.) then roll again for the length of a hallway, then just make up your own rules for rooms and the size of said rooms. I'd upload a picture of my current fortress' housing district, but it's late. Tomorrow I might, and then you can see.

ohhh, fun link. with a bit of work, it could be used to make a good layout for a fort. not exactly efficent or organised, but damnit it will be dwarfy!

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 01:06:34 am »

You misunderstand, it's not sheer mass-designating I have a problem with, it's second-guessing the plans I've designated out.

As for wiki copying, I've done that liberally. Sadly it doesn't tell me how I should best lay out noble's quarters- with their unique requirements- (bedroom, office, dining room,) so I'm back into paranoia mode.

I do hate myself sometimes. >.<
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 01:35:01 am »

A labyrinth that expands at least quater of the map and three z levels, with one level being the entire  z level.

If the fortress is contruscted through the labyrinth but the two are completely separated and the labyrinth has glass ceiling/floors & walls so the dorfs can watch them.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:29 am »

You misunderstand, it's not sheer mass-designating I have a problem with, it's second-guessing the plans I've designated out.

As for wiki copying, I've done that liberally. Sadly it doesn't tell me how I should best lay out noble's quarters- with their unique requirements- (bedroom, office, dining room,) so I'm back into paranoia mode.

I do hate myself sometimes. >.<

DONT worry about best layouts and such. that link posted earlier is wonderful for ideas for layouts. gets a good organic feel to it. just set corridors to straight, rooms to packed, and tweak the size as needed for a nice fort look!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:55 pm »

YOU CAN'T PLAN FOR NOBLES.

Seriously, it's impossible.  Go play by proxy or something, if you can't stand it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

I have a problem of always making inverted tower fortresses. Every.Single.Time.

Everything else just seems so messy and inefficient, they are easy as hell to defend (Giant Tower of Traps™) and I have yet to lose one I didnt do on purpose. Sure, flooding the entire thing from the top down and slowly watching my Dwarfs flee to the lower levels is amusing, but it doesnt happen unless I make it happen.

Even my Megaprojects dont take up much time. My super massive Temple to the Gods hardly did anything to my efficiency (Although all the waterfalls killed my FPS  :D) and that included pulling Magma from across the map for my pit'o'death.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 11:49:25 am »

What, you can't prepare for nobles?  I've already prepared a nice, 2 square bedroom for my hammerer, when he comes.  Right on the river side.  With a lovely floodgate and a masterpiece mechanism on it.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:16 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4671-inkdepths

This'll frighten all you OCD freaks.
just look at the stockpiles.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »

I have never had a problem with ocd yet, i just keep trying to improve my speed at which my fortress gains wealth. (best gain yet 22000 per month).
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Dizzerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 12:25:50 pm »

if you're too successful, why not have the dwarves spend a year without you giving them new commands?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4