Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: OCD, enemy of DF fun  (Read 4353 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OCD, enemy of DF fun
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:36 pm »

All my fortresses look the same...
They are also all super efficient...
I never have more then 3-5 idle workers...
I have only once lost a fortress from as far back as mid 2D...
I envy those of you with complicated twisting passages and crazy fortresses...

This is how my DF experience roughly goes. I honestly get bored of being successful: I want to see my dwarves fall into anarchy and kill each other, but all they do is joyfully walts around. I actually have to push myself to not micromanage every aspect of the fortress so that some chaos might erupt. I also never use traps, but keep a touch military and with good tactics rarely have losses.

Anyone else out there feel roughly the same or have a thought on this?

P.S. Don't get me wrong, DF is always fun, I just can't help thinking that I would have more fun with a little less OCD.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Re: OCD, enemy of DF fun
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:12:55 pm »

This is pretty much how my endgame goes.

Although there is usually one or two grating infrastructual flaws that, while not causing any actual chaos, forever irks me. Like making the hallways two spaces wide instead of three. Or putting the bedrooms above the workshops.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:12 pm »

Design an aboveground asymmetric fortress. Also minimal traps and minimal underground expansions.

It does wonders.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:59 pm »

Megaprojects are what kept me going, as all of my earlier projects have fallen prey to similar problems. A self-sustatining fortress that will never fall, had no goal, and nothing to do...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »

Try digging out a single, fairly good-sized room for your dwarves to live in (farms, storage, everything) until you finished excavating a huge 40x80, 5 z-level Moria-esque hall with gigantic engraved pillars. Then expand from there, eventually digging multiple such halls.
It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:37:56 pm »

P.S. Don't get me wrong, DF is always fun, I just can't help thinking that I would have more fun with a little less OCD.

What on earth do you mean? I have no idea what you're talking about...

Horribly inefficient, completely crazy. This, however, was my second fortress - so I'm allowed some slack.
マグマキッド

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:44:20 pm »

What on earth do you mean? I have no idea what you're talking about...

Horribly inefficient, completely crazy. This, however, was my second fortress - so I'm allowed some slack.

That fort made me have to wash my hands three times, make sure all cupboard doors were shut, and turn off all the lights in my house! *twitch*
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:52:39 pm »

Bah.

(I know it's ugly - I only use it for experimenting now (mist generator in new dining hall, f.ex; and the new sleeping areas, and pretty much everything else (including the haphazardly constructed towers) has just been stuff I've tried. And, again - second fortress. Ever.)
マグマキッド

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
  • huzzah for home automation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:34:03 am »

I seem to go back and forth.  My first fortresses were like azazel's, then I made overly perfect fortresses... Right now, I'm building a lot of above-ground mixed neat/messy fortresses.  Mostly from trying to fully utilize natural resources and how slow it can be to put up some constructions.  I get impatient... but the good thing about aboveground things is they can always be dismantled and rebuilt.
Nothing to see here.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:39:18 am »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, azazel. Try some type of challenge. If you can't find anything you like see if you can make up your own. I'm currently playing a semi-commune challenge, and I also sacrifice 10% of my dwarves at random every year and leave them to rot.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42:45 am »

Without looking at your "typical" fortress, try making one of circles and diagonal passages.  Fights the "orthagonal" urge.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 12:51:25 am »

Anyone else out there feel roughly the same or have a thought on this?

Knock back a pitcher of mojitos before you play. It'll be far more random. And you will lose fortresses.

[deleted]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:08 am »

I also suffer from having every single fortress look the same. If one were to check my history on DFMA, that much is clear. I don't even make it to my first siege on most maps before I quit, even on ideal map conditions like having sand, trees, HFS, magma, etc. Things that I was overly picky about in the first place, and refusing to play on maps that didn't have them.

The thing I'm doing now is trying to deliberately avoid using the same designs as before that I feel I've overused (though admittedly, some things that I keep using I just like too much to give up). Additionally, I'm trying out new, and more challenging biomes to build fortresses on. My newest fortress is on the taiga, which, while having all of the comforts of trees and magma (and even an underground river), is frozen year-round.

Which means that I have to get my water solely from the underground river tucked on the side of the map. Basically, lots of room for a stupid flooding accident involving tons of lizardmen and cave crocodiles, but that's the fun of the game.
The spinning Sea Lamprey dorsal fin strikes The Sea Lamprey in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
The Sea Lamprey is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Sea Lamprey has been struck down.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5703-frostdrummed

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:12:49 am »

My crrent fort is like that, on the edge of a mountain range with a single tile of glacier in the corner, a subteranean chasm splitting the map in 2, and a magma pipe and giganinourmous cave river near each other.  I´m at year 4 and my population is still about 30, not because of a lack of immigrants, but because of my consistant underestimating of river life.
And the ambushes.
Oh Armok, the ambushes when you have a military of a full 3 barely qualified marksdwarves...

Anyway, I use a modular layout, while most of the features I use are more or less the same fort-to-fort, their arangement is different, and my hall is still something I tend to make too small.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 05:38:13 am »

I try and avoid to much pre-planning. I mostly just dig out areas as I decide I need them. Though I am experimenting with using better bedroom design. As for projects even with them I just do whatever pops into my head that day.
"Hmm I have a lot of glass blocks... Glass Pyramid Time!" "Alright now that its built what to use it for... I know its now the tome of my Champions!"

Now to brake your OCD... We need a challenge for you. Build a fort that only uses One z-lvl and don't pre-plan it.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4