Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Shouldn't Cave Adaptation Offer Some Benefits?  (Read 3827 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Shouldn't Cave Adaptation Offer Some Benefits?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 06:26:39 pm »

At a bare minimum...

The place you are adapted to decides where you are happiest.  This is indisputable.  A dwarf who is cave-adapted is, by definition, more accustomed to caves than one who is not, and will be happier there.

Also note, while we're being logical:  Cave adaptation obviously should not be irreversible.  In fact, a month or two with regular exposure to the outside should quickly reverse it.  Eventually, you get used to the sky again.

Cave adaptation can be reversed..   I had some troops stationed in my entrance way that I cut out of the rock to make it ourside and keep my dwarvs from entrance way dancing in the path of arrows.    They were vomit fests at first... but eventually the cave adaptation went away and they were fine with the outdoors *especially because I have weather off to give me those 2 more precious FPS.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 06:29:53 pm »

When (if) lighting ever finds its way in ,then this would be a good way to circumvent cave adaption. Itll expose dwarves to the light gradually and will eventualy cure them of cave adaption. Lampposts, glowing rocks, lamps, torchs etc would be good for this. Also non cave adapted creatures should be able to get lost in the dark.
A good sense of direction has nothing to do with lighting.  A human with a good sense of direction should have just as much chance of getting lost in the dark as a cave adapt dwarf with the same sense of direction.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:16 pm »

Someone who has experience telling one tunnel from another is more likely to find their way through tunnels. Just as someone who spends their time telling one tree from another is likely to be drowned in magma...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2009, 10:47:31 pm »

Pull lever.  *rumble rumble* *screams* *deranged laughing*
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]