Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Stories of Terror and Energy: Kobold Fortress  (Read 8461 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Stories of Terror and Energy: Kobold Fortress
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Dwarf companion lets you alter the first name and nickname to anything you want, while the surname can be altered, but uses a language file.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

I finally got DF companion working. However it crashed DF after I changed three names.

I'll probably update tomorrow. I've got the stat pages and whatnot, but I'd really prefer to have names for all the migrants before updating everything. All I can promise is that it'll be long.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

After a long time spent trying to convince DF that it can read dwarven names for kobolds, I've given up. For some reason the immigrants won't even use the names of the founders. After multiple crashes I've decided to continue on solely using nicknames for the immigrants.

Anyway, to business.

9th Slate

Kreegus paced restlessly, the walls of his bedroom seeming confining as he thought about the words of the merchants. He had a lot of time to think now that the outpost was comfortably settled. The seven founders had done a lot of work in a little over a year, and Xunoxlugo almost seemed... emtpy.

That wasn't to say there wasn't work to be done. Crops were growing in the herb patch, and pun-pun was very busy cleaning the mounds of turtles and shad that fluffy pulled from the resovior and river. The food stockpiles however, we enough to last the seven of them for years, even if they ate extravagantly. It's just that there were not enough jobs to be done outside of hauling.

A knock on his door disturbed the trappers train of thought, drawing his gaze away from the unsmoothed wall of his quarters. "Come in." He called out patiently.

Boksi entered quietly, practically bouncing on the balls of her feet in excitment. "It work!" she said in a hushed tone as soon as she entered, racing forward and gripping Kreegus' arms and shaking them. "Big trap work!"

"Big trap? The Entrance trap?" the trapper asked as he recovered from the motion, his eyes lighting up in the darkness "What you catch?"

Boksi grinned back at the trapper, "You like Monkey meat?"

13th Slate - Bookie's log. First entry.

My name, well... I suppose technically I don't have a name. Not one that the human traders would recognize anyway. This language that I write in just cannot properly give the amount of description... the scent, smells, and guestures that are all part of my native language. The humans call Kubold primitive, but they just can't understand the subtlety that comes with the naitive language of my people.

However, I still must confess for all of our fine distinctions and carefully placed vowels and trills that the human language and alphebet is better for writing with. That's why I learned their language after all. That's why I serve as a translator between our people, and have previously served as a scribe for a human baron.

So thus, rather than using a horribly butchered Kubold word for my name; I will use my office instead: Thothilnushrat: Bookkeeper. I am keeping this personal log because a great change has happened in my life. I have been recalled out of human lands by Jlamis, the prophet-king of my people to travel to the outpost Xunoxlugo.

I was told to meet with a caravan that was headed towards the outpost set between our people slightly north of the outpost. To join in their migration and ensure that they reached the small fortress. It took me two weeks to do that alone. Two weeks of hard travel that took the vast majority of my own rations. I was lucky to have found them as soon as I did.

When I met up with the wary, closemouthed group, I was immediatly sent to their leader. A burly female who introduced herself as 'Kalin'.

She had seemed suprised at my visit, doubly so when I mentioned that Jlamis had sent me. However, she was not displeased with meeting me. Soon afterward she told me that she had lived in a human town for some years before returning to the tower, and had picked up a sense of grammer and a human name in doing so. We had a lot in common, but I wonder if she is really as loyal to Jlamis and the gods as she implies.

Two other migrants deigned to introduce themselves to me. The first, a youngster with a hand that appeared to have been stained in black ink introduced himself as 'Flippy'.

The second was carrying with him a small toy, the entire thing a twisty maze of cogs and pegs that ground against one another when a small crank was pulled. As he turned it he would study the small mahine, his quick eyes watching every turn and twist of the mechanism.

The four of us talked though that night, while the others fell in place: Too exhaused to even raise a head and speak. Although I do not know these Kobolds, I have a feeling that we may become better aquainted soon, especially since our destination is so very close.

I have counted the total number of migrants traveling, placing our numbers on a list for the current leader of Xunoxlugo. Hopefully the current Expedition Leader will be able to read it.

1 Weaponsmith
1 Mechanic (Untrained)
2 Recruits
6 Peasents
1 Herbalist
2 Masons
1 Soap Maker
1 Clothier
1 Carpenter
1 Bone Carver
1 Jeweler
2 Stonecrafters
1 Animal Dissector
1 Woodworker
1 Brewer

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Wintrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 11:01:47 am »

This fortress menaces with spike of pwnedge. :)

Its a bit early but.. can I have the Dungeon master when he/she arrives? Name: Kokoro.

We need a tame dragon.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:44:05 am by Wintrow »
Dwarfs being in love with gold. "What? No, we only say that to get it into bed."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]