Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stories of Terror and Energy: Kobold Fortress  (Read 8462 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of Terror and Energy: Kobold Fortress
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

Wow.  Jrarbin sure covers a lot.  Seems like she's the "head" of the pantheon.  But...   Rainbows?

Fruduluchlayrbus looks like a very kobold god.  A very long name, and he's associated with theft.  I'm surprised more of the 'bolds don't worship him...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

Heh, I worship the goddess of luck. Hope this is a good omen.   :D

EDIT: Just noticed this: Pun-Pun's profile is listed twice, and Boksi's is missing.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Dang. I'm too late to get me a kobold.
However, should thist survive to it's first immigration, could I have a kobold?

Name: Jreengus
Profession: If kobolds have mechanics, I'll be it.
If they don't, I'll be a fisherkobold.
If kobolds can't fish, I'll hunt.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

ARGH!

Well, I call an immigrant kobold, then. Wrestler/Trapper. Under the name of Kalen.  
Have him/her be slightly more grammatically correct, please.

Nice to see one of these up, really.

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

Fixed Boski's Profile.

I have no idea how Jrarbin managed to get so many sphere's in her profile when compared to the others. My only thought is that she managed to get a strong version of "Nature" and "Caverns", and a very weak spattering of "Night".

I wouldn't call her the head of the Pantheon, it seems that she would be more of a god that you really... really do not want to cross. After all, the only male god is Glayrin, the god of creation, birth, and childeren. (and thus, a pimp)

Dwarfaholic and Xotes, you guys are on the list. No worries for Kalen about Kobold grammer, as they contact humans more I intend to have their speech improve.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

Fantastic! Very excited about this thread and its denezins.

Do you accept Roleplay posts from readers, or should we shush and watch?

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

I assume that at the moment, none of us knows how to read or write, so things like journal entries just wouldn't fit.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

You could communicate the happenings through detailed cave engravings:

"This section of the wall looks like it was carved in the early spring. It depicts the settling of the kobolds into the fortress, and their attempts to please the great kobold and his three wives. The kobolds are striking down the mountain. The kobolds are digging deeper, and discovering Mica. The kobolds are mourning their lack of an anvil as they pass through native gold."

Etc.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Impending Doom:
<STRONG>I assume that at the moment, none of us knows how to read or write, so things like journal entries just wouldn't fit.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]</STRONG>

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

1st Granite
Snow, snow and ice everywhere. That was the first thought the Kreegus had when the caravan finally ground to a halt in the narrow valley that rose around the brook the prophet had marked. The ground underfoot crunched as he lept from the wagon with his crossbow and bolts. Behind him the other six slowly creeped out of the wagon, their canine snouts sniffing the air gingerly as they took a survey of this new land. Of the seven who had come, the only other male in the group was Pun-Pun. The smart 'bold had been chatting cheerily with the girls, trying to woo them with his impression of Glayrin's masculinity and courtiousness. Not that Kreegus minded. After all, it was thanks to Pun-Pun's focus on Glayrin that allowed the hunter to take command of the small band.

"We here!" Kreegus said happily, his head nodding in a happy motion. "This Xunoxlugo. See?"

The others looked out distainfully. Snow covered the ground still, and most of the brook was still frozen, with the few parts that remained liquid containing many chunks of ice and grime. Fluffy snarled slightly as Kreegus spoke, "No fish. Too cold. What fluffy do?"

With that everyone looked at Kreegus, their wary glances causing him to stoop his shoulders slightly and shuffle his feet before answering, "Everyone work. That what we do! Fluffy, look for cold fish. Meegus, get wood from cart. Everyone work, everyone help. We start now, warm time soon make us safe! I go find more food."

12th Granite

Pun-Pun sat in the recently-build kitchen of Xunoxlugo. Slowly stirring a pot of tallow over an open fire. The workshop sat in a wide cluster of temporary buildings, it's wooden cabinets and walls making a rough semi-circle around the brook. To the east the sound of Vugeour's pick on the stone came from the edge of the low hill that rose over the brook.

Not far away a small mound of meat sat in a stockpile covered in leather. Three horse hides, three horses. "Kreegus do good" Fluffy said to herself as she felt the tallow slowly thicken in the pot. Behind the horse meat, several cleaned fish lay in a neat stack, their bodies neatly smoked and left to dry in the warm sun, "Fluffy do good. Kreegus, Fluffy brings lots of food. Kobold... we survive."

20th Granite - translations of scratchings found near the ruins of the kobold settlment of Xunoxlugo. Text translation cleaned by Urist Onolun, Dark Dwarf.

The basic layout of our home is slowly coming about. The main tunnel is nearly completed and the hallway of trading will be ready before the month is out.

Kreegus and I have discussed how his quarters will look. He insisted I make it as close to the Jrarbin as I could... I hope he likes it.

Below a roungh sketch is found in the engraving

2nd Slate

The cheers of the kobolds rang over the mountaintops as Pun-Pun exited the still, the heavy barrel in her arms wieghing more than she did. Hastily he dropped it on the ground and shouted to the others, his clear voice ringing across the valley. "Whip Vine is Whip Wine! Everyone drink! Party!"

Happy shouts across the camp rang in reply! One by one everyone stopped their work and grabbed a share of the wine, enjoying the roughly distilled drink with mirth. As the snow abated, joy seemed to filter into the Kobold camp along with the alcohol that had been made at their stills.

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »

We are incredibly doomed.  The easiest food access for a carnivore race is frozen over.

AWESOME!

Just out of curiosity that is a brook right?  I don't remember the difference when frozen.  If not I look forward to my kobold's quick fishy death.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

Water that's indoors doesn't freeze.  An underground reservoir is essential.

Oh, and is Pun-Pun male or female?  Profile says male, story says female...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

It's only frozen over during the winter, early spring, and late fall. This place is dual-biome, so some parts unfrost before others.

Honestly, I'm expecting hunting to last us untill we get a few pairs of breeding stock (on ropes) and start mass-butchering animals... at least once this fortress expands.

Right now i'm going to try to update about a month's worth of data a day. However, if I miss an update or two please understand as best you can. I can only do so much, especially during finals et. al.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

Kobolds still haven't mastered ink.  It's all smeary.

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Qmarx ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

Meegus leaned against the cool side of the earth, gazing out of the tunnel into the cold spring snow, squinting, she counted the trees on the horizon. Using the fingers on each hand to count the trees, and the toes of her feet to count the number of her kin, she became reassured.

"Is enough. Must make careful use... is barely enough." She slumped down onto the floor and leaned her heavy copper axe, worn from the years, against the cavern wall. On her left calf was a long yellow and brown scab, and she picked at it with distaste as she mused aloud.

"Never good to sleep in mud. Many dead 'Bolds in the earth. Sleep on wood and straw... make for good happiness and long life..."

After a moment, when the scab had ceased to amuse her, she took up her axe and went to work.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4