Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind  (Read 3838 times)

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Reading all of this makes me think about an upgrade.
Here are a some thoughts:

Is a really fast single core better than a dual core when running DF?

I was thinking about something completely different: at work we use a Citrix system that runs on some 16 CPU machine and emulates Windows for the logged in user, or so I understand- I am not too much into that stuff.
But I have been told that such a machine takes as much of the CPU power as it needs and diverts it, via a hypervisor, to the logged in user.
That results in a Windows that runs way faster than any "normal" Windows would.

Now the idea: I was thinking about a Quad Core or whatever is the fastest CPU these days, run on it some sort of load balancer (VMware, perhaps? It utilizes a hypervisor and simulate a sincle core Win for DF) that distributes the incoming CPU requests equally among the cores, which should theoretically result in a much faster DF. (I have not tried to play DF on Citrix, as there are always too many users logged on, so the advantage goes bye-bye).

Just an idea, dunno if it would work or not, but the theory sounds very much makable. Anyone with more experience in that field who has something to add?

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

I've seen a lot of posts in these forums suggesting that dual cores do not help and I want to debunk that notion.

Windows XP and (especially) Windows Vista will handle the dual core load themselves to an extent.

This means that if yo have nice beefy dual core box and DF is basically hogging core0, XP and (especially!) Vista will shift other processes to core1.

This means better DF performance than on an equally beefy single core processor.

If you are going with Vista, ESPECIALLY! (yay, word of the day!), it is a good idea to get a hulking dual core processor and let Windows do some of the performance management for you.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

wow so there are only 2 single core, core 2 chips. both for laptops, and both i've never seen.. good stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]