Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind  (Read 3841 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 03:44:00 am »

Core2 duo is a subset of the core2 systems. Don't spout crap!  If you would look at what I said and what you even QUOTED you would see I said "Core2" not "Core2 duo". Duo means *DUAL*, idiot. Those are their dual core CPUs only, and no they don't make "core2 duo" quad core CPUs. look it up before you spout shit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
Yes, there are core2 single core CPUs, since you are too lazy to look it up click this link and read!

There is no such f$%^ing thing as an "athalon"!
And some of the athlon 64 CPUs are faster then some of the core2, just right now they are not the best for your money, so again, don't spout bullshit here, I will call you on it every single time.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

Dude, cool it a bit, will ya?

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

No.

Put yourself in my shoes for a few minutes.

I am a female pc hardware technician, a very skilled one.  This is still a very male-dominated industry, to the point almost no one will take me seriously, even when I prove myself knowledgeable. Now imagine all the crap I have to go through on a daily basis knowing I am right while someone is telling someone else bullshit that is dead-wrong and total nonsense, and them being believed over me because they are male.  Now factor that in whenever you see me go off on someone for telling me I am wrong when in fact I am dead right.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:00 am »

gj Jaqie, gj. lol

I don't think a lot of people understand just how multi-cores work. Say you have 100 threads. And you very likely do. If you have a single core, all 100 threads are run one at a time.

Now suppose you have dual core. You can run 2 threads at once - Those 100 threads suddenly execute twice as fast. By the time your dual core has executed 100 threads, two at a time, your single core system is only halfway.

Then take quad core, same analogy, four times faster than single core.

It doesn't really matter whether an application has been programmed to take advantage of multiple cores (unless you're really doing something... like rendering or encoding), you will still see an awesome speed boost, simply because a single core is such a bottleneck, being able to execute only one of your many threads at once.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>gj Jaqie, gj. lol

I don't think a lot of people understand just how multi-cores work. Say you have 100 threads. And you very likely do. If you have a single core, all 100 threads are run one at a time.

Now suppose you have dual core. You can run 2 threads at once - Those 100 threads suddenly execute twice as fast. By the time your dual core has executed 100 threads, two at a time, your single core system is only halfway.

Then take quad core, same analogy, four times faster than single core.

It doesn't really matter whether an application has been programmed to take advantage of multiple cores (unless you're really doing something... like rendering or encoding), you will still see an awesome speed boost, simply because a single core is such a bottleneck, being able to execute only one of your many threads at once.</STRONG>

cool down... the two and four time faster is on the ideal situation, and this is quite uncommon (It can be reached mostly on some very repetitive applications, like 3D rendering for example).
Dual core processors may be even slower than single core in some cases.

However, the average performance gain is still significant, and I won't advise anyone to get a single core nowadays... nor I would suggest a quad core.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

Yep. I have long been an SMP addict, ever since my first dual P100 (yes, a dual pentium 100Mhz machine). Check out 2cpu.com sometime, even though I left long ago the whole place is filled with people who went SMP (symmetric multiprocessor) and could never go back like me.  Dealing with a single CPU machine is like wearing clothes made of brillo pads, it just hurts.

My current main machine (Demia) is the first dual core CPU available to the general public, an athlon64 x2 3800+ (the *SLOWEST* dual core cpu available, too!). I paid $340 for the retail version back when it first came out, and am still using it for my main machine.  SMP systems just last longer before they have to be replaced for performance reasons, too.  Which reminds me of my poor old dual P3 600 that the tyan patriot BX100 mobo just died a few months ago... I miss it still... it was still very useful as a server.

One thing though, things don't scale like that with cores... 80% improvement per core is about the best you are going to get in an optimal situation.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

You might also want to check out overclocking. Back a little over a year ago I rebuilt my system and upgraded from Athlon XP 3200 to Pentium D 805. My reasons were I wanted dual core for higher system response time and because the 805 was hitting insane clock speeds with Tom's Hardware. Core 2 Duo wasn't out yet or if it was I couldn't afford it.

Like everyone else indicated, if you can afford the Core 2 Duo go with it. There is nothing better out there at the moment. However if you can't afford a Core 2 Duo, I'd recommend the Intel Dual-Core E2140. There is an article on Tom's Hardware that shows it being overclocked to the point where it "plays in the same league." as the Core 2 Duo E6850.

The processor is currently selling for $75 on NewEgg. Compare that to around $200 or so for the Core 2 Duos currently selling on there.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

No. do not get the pentium D. it is based on the P4 "netburst" architecture which is and has always been FUBAR.

If a C2 processor is too much, get an A64.

I also don't know where you're looking, but I see C2D CPUs, retail, for sale at the egg for as little as $130. that's a lot less then $200 you are suggesting.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

Jaqie...  You are completely awesome.

I hadn't been planning on upgrading my computer for a long time yet, but with prices like these, I might actually get around to it.

(It's only six years old!  It can't be obsolete yet!  It's measured in GHz and everything, so it has to be good!  And it was somewhat above average when I got it...)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

Heh. Thanks...I think.

If you are on a tight budget and want mainly DF performance....and you dont mind a single core system, go for a nice socket am2 based single core a64, they can be had for down to $50ish for a nice 2.4Ghz+ a64.  I personally replaced my dual p3 600 server with a slightly older s939 a64 3400+ 2.2ghz (low power use mobile cpu) part because I already had a couple 256MB DDR DIMMs for it and was on a very tight budget (as usual).  Had I more money I would have gone for a c2d for my main system and hand-me-down-ed my x2... but this way I have two of the same motherboards (biostar 6100-M9) and interchangable parts since my x2 is a s939 cpu as well.  Getting on a single core machine is painful but not as painful if its an a64.

In short, if you cant afford a c2d, gnab a nice single core socket am2 a64 while they are such a steal.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>No.

I am a female pc hardware technician, a very skilled one.  This is still a very male-dominated industry, to the point almost no one will take me seriously, even when I prove myself knowledgeable. Now imagine all the crap I have to go through on a daily basis knowing I am right while someone is telling someone else bullshit that is dead-wrong and total nonsense, and them being believed over me because they are male.  Now factor that in whenever you see me go off on someone for telling me I am wrong when in fact I am dead right.</STRONG>

You know what?  BTDT myself.  Yeah, it's frustrating, but I don't think that excuses frothing at the mouth and calling people names when someone dares to express a viewpoint that doesn't exactly mesh with yours.   Not to mention it doesn't exactly IMPROVE how men perceive women in these roles.    :roll:

I realize you know your shit and have provided a lot of useful information here, but with your attitude, you're the last person here I'd ever ask for assistance or advice.  

How about picking a more gender-neutral username and don't say you're a female.  That way you get judged on what you say and how you say it rather than your gender.  In fact, the USUAL assumption here is that posters are male and you should know that by the # of times people have called you "dude" or "man."  Expecting people to "factor in" your personal crap when you "go off" on someone is ridiculous.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>No.

I am a female pc hardware technician, a very skilled one... Now factor that in whenever you see me go off on someone for telling me I am wrong when in fact I am dead right.</STRONG>

Jaqie, although I imagine your situation to be frustrating, this is the internet. Nobody knows your gender unless you announce it. (As a matter of fact gurlz dont exist on teh intranet neway! Just a giant WoW wiener-party, k?   :) ) Point just being that,regardless of reason, as I read over this thread you did come across a bit harsh.

Edit: Err, didn't see Endiqua's post. Pretty much says the same thing.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>No. do not get the pentium D. it is based on the P4 "netburst" architecture which is and has always been FUBAR.</STRONG>

You may want to go back and reread what I had written. It may be worded a little weird but basically I was saying I had purchased a Pentium D. I was not recommending it though - I was recommending the Pentium Dual-Core (in particular the E2140 model).

Intel was really a bit of a pain to name it "Pentium Dual-Core" when the name "Pentium D" already existed. It can lead to confusion for some people. The desktop Pentium Dual-Core is essentially an Allendale Core 2 Duo with half of its L2 cache disabled. This makes for a nice budget processor because you have all the advantages of the Core 2 Duo (just with less cache) for roughly half the price of a Core 2 Duo.

Edit: Looking at them a bit more I'd have to still recommend a PDC if you feel comfortable overclocking. It can actually be close in speed to a Core 2 Duo E6850 (currently $280 on NewEgg) when maxed out. If you don't like overclocking then yes - a Core 2 Duo always. I'm hoping they'll eventually get reduced to around $100 or less - if so I'm buying one myself.   :)

quote:
I see C2D CPUs, retail, for sale at the egg for as little as $130. that's a lot less then $200 you are suggesting.

Yeah my fault. I was looking at the Conroe models.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Frobozz ]

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Frobozz ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

So I should hide the fact i am a woman to be taken seriously?
If you people had your way we would be back in the stone ages.

I put my title as "BOFH" for very good reason. google it to see why.

Oh, and fact is not opinion, Endiqua. These are facts Ive been stating, not opinions or viewpoints.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Frobozz:
You may want to go back and reread what I had written. It may be worded a little weird but basically I was saying I had purchased a Pentium D. I was not recommending it though - I was recommending the Pentium Dual-Core (in particular the E2140 model).

AHA! I thought you were referring to The Pentium D brand refers to two series of dual-core 64-bit x86 processors with NetBurst microarchitecture. The CPUs comprise two single-core dies in one package (called a Multi-Chip Module).  My mistake entirely. I am over-used to people referring to that one as the pentium dual-core. So we are both correct  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4