Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind  (Read 3840 times)

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading a PC with Dwarf Fortress in mind
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

I have to say, it's not the first time that the person giving me good computer advice happens to be a woman.

When I was buying RAM, I got the best comprehensive answer from female posters. When me and my buddy need help configuring p2p or something similar, we ask our female friend who also can shoot computer and game industry related trivia like a machine-gun.

You know, I don't agree with the idea of masking under a 'male' name. Presenting people with irrefutable, 'right now' proof of women being good at technology helps dispel all the sexist prejudice that exists not just on the internet.

I dunno, it's really saddening to read you've met with attitudes like that, please don't give up  :)

edit: and yeah, I think a nice Dual Core CPU will be within my price range. Depends if I'll need to dissect the entire motherboard and RAM or not, though.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Svirfneblim ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Svirfneblim:
I have to say, it's not the first time that the person giving me good computer advice happens to be a woman.
When I was buying RAM, I got the best comprehensive answer from female posters. When me and my buddy need help configuring p2p or something similar, we ask our female friend who also can shoot computer and game industry related trivia like a machine-gun.

Cool! Tell her she's doing awesome at putting men in their place for me   :)

Oh don't worry, I won't!

quote:
and yeah, I think a nice Dual Core CPU will be within my price range. Depends if I'll need to dissect the entire motherboard and RAM or not, though.

You will. Nowadays, the only real option to upgrading is chucking the mobo, ram, (and most of the time) vidcard and psu.  Don't forget the PSU, whatever you do.  Either get a PC Power & cooling (Im running their 360w one right now for my main machine, their 360w is like most other companies' 600W), Fortron Source (FSP), or Power Man (they are made by Fortron Source) supply.  The PCP&C 360w is $54 shipped direct and plenty good for any system nowadays except SLI systems and servers, and the power output is so clean it will extend the life (and reliability) of the whole PC.
~edit~ oops, I meant the 310 is enough, and the 310 is sold for $54 shipped. I got a 360 from them instead when buying a 310 because they were out of 310s. Talk about service!

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

I got lucky back when I got built this system (or unlucky depending on how you look at it). I managed to get a board that supported both AGP and PCI-express, and both DDR and DDR2. The only downside (and thus unlucky side) is that I'm stuck with a maximum of 2GB. Still being able to upgrade at my own pace was pretty nice and saved me from having to spend a lot up front.

Now for you - there is a board very similar to the one I purchased on NewEgg. It supports both AGP and PCI-express as well as DDR and DDR2. Like my board this board only supports up to 2GB (I'm beginning to see a pattern with their boards). If you're stuck with an older AGP video card or with DDR memory you may want to look into this as an option. Depending on how long this upgrade will last you you may not want the 2GB limit.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

I've had ASRock motherboards. they aren't top quality, but they don't get my black list tag....yet.  Via chipsets are...fair. personally, I will only get nvidia and intel chipsets anymore, as I am extremely picky about getting very good hardware.  One last bit while im on chipsets, NEVER EVER get SiS or PCCHIPS chipsets (yes PCCHIPS used to make their own chips, I dunno if they still do, but they are on my blacklist bigtime).

A note about the ASRock board listed above - if you get that, be careful to only get PCIe vidcards that have auxiliary PCIe power hookups, as the PCIe x16 slot in that seems to only have power on 4 of the 16 lanes, meaning most vidcards that dont get power direct from a pcie power supply plug (a plug on cards that needs plugged in direct from the psu) wont work with it because the mobo doesnt supply much power via the pcie slot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Meh, desktops. My Asus A8Sc runs DF fine.  :)
The Santa Rosa-standart CPUs have increased cache I think, which is supposed to help a bit. And while dualcore don't help DF much as it is, it does help it - if you look with Process Explorer, you'll see it using about 60% of the total power, because the OS splits whatever it finds into multiple threads - in this case, the OpenGL library and sound get separate threads.

In any case, my old 2Ghz P4 on the desktop and running XP, runs DF MUCH slower than my 2Ghz Santa Rosa dualcore on the laptop, and with Vista too.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

Yep. it's as Ive been saying. P4s (netburst architecture) is *DOG* slow. I have only had one P4, it was an HP laptop... I fixed it and sold it for the cash to get my athlon64 x2 3800+ system.  :cool:

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>So I should hide the fact i am a woman to be taken seriously?
If you people had your way we would be back in the stone ages.

I put my title as "BOFH" for very good reason. google it to see why.

Oh, and fact is not opinion, Endiqua. These are facts Ive been stating, not opinions or viewpoints.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]</STRONG>

*shrug*  If your PERCEPTION of not being taken seriously on this board (and I say perception because many people think you are, in fact, male) because you're a woman bothers you to the point that you're having a hissy fit, stomping your virtual feet and being incredibly rude and hostile - then it's a potential solution.  (I mean, geez, berating someone because they misspelled Athlon?  You're hardly letter-perfect yourself, my dear.) Otherwise, I think you should STFU and DWI like a grownup and be civil to people, even if they DON'T know a motherboard from a power supply.

:roll:  Yeah, I need to google BOFH.  Self-appropriation of that particular title doesn't impress me one tiny little bit.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

If you have a problem with my additude (which you most certainly do), it's *YOUR* problem, not mine.  Enough off-topic.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

Out of curiosity. I run Windows XP. If I used another operating system, could I see better performance with my current hardware due to a less demanding OS? I can't think of one off hand, however. Maybe an efficient Linux distro if Wine doesn't hurt DF's performance much. Otherwise, an old version of windows?

I know it's avoiding the problem itself, but I was thinking of the short-term.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

Unfortunately, that kind of one-sided shutdown doesn't work.  I've got one last thing to say to you, despite your high-handed dismissal, and then I'm ignoring you.

It's spelled attitude, Miss Oh-So-Knowledgeable-and-Perfect and yes, I do have a problem with it because you're detracting from what is otherwise a really cool and non-hostile community (except for Garry but he's a different story).  (Which is precisely why I'm ignoring you after this - because I'm not interested in perpetuating this.)  You threw a tantrum when someone jokingly responded to your AHK script because bashing your contribution, EVEN JOKINGLY, isn't "cool." You were snotty to someone who simply suggested making icons for DF.  I could go on and on, but why bother?  I doubt you're going to listen to a word I say - you'll just put your virtual fingers in your ears and sing "lalala."

On most of the boards I hang out on, this kind of behavior would have resulted in warnings and then banning.  Luckily (or not, depending on your viewpoint), Toady's either not interested or willing in moderating to that extent.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

Not really. wine isn't as good a performer as XP... just google for xp speedups and implement them... off the top of my head, turning off system restore and indexing are good ways to improve performance.

If your total ram is 512MB or lower, delve deeper into turning off services you don't need....but use caution, don't root around until you are sure you know what the services you are turning off do (google helps lots here).

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Endiqua:
I doubt you're going to listen to a word I say - you'll just put your virtual fingers in your ears and sing "lalala."

Pot and kettle. Ive been helping people here and youve done nothing but troll me this entire thread. Go count the useful posts ive made, then go count the useful posts youve made.  Now how about trying to post on topic for a change!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

System restore was killed off due to me having very little HDD space to work with. I never thought about indexing, though, so that's shut off now too. Thanks a lot! I'll look through the services later too.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

Welcome!

Ive gotten XP down to ~40MB RAM used on startup with everything that I didnt want or need shut off - for example wireless zero configuration can be shut off in desktops without a wifi card, its not even needed if you have no wifi card.... remote registry service should *ALWAYS* be disabled, having it on by default was fscking stupid!

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

You clearly know more about computers than me and most of the other posters on the board. It just bugs me when you act like anyone who makes the smallest mistake is an idiot. As you said, me having a problem with your attitude is my own business and doesn't belong on the board. Sorry.

You're a self-proclaimed BOFH; I can tell that you're very knowledgable, but you still make me feel argumentative/defensive. It's just that a BOFH is very hard to get along with; it has nothing to do with gender.

I agreed with 98% of your posts (and was wrong on the other 2%) Sorry!   :)

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: nagromo ]

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4