Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944969 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7095 on: February 03, 2014, 01:11:06 am »

Does look pretty attractive, I must say.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:17 am »

I would have stuck with the original sandbox ship but it did not get updated. I would think about reasonable prebuilts but they don't work in multi unless everyone has the files.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:31 am »

Meh. The human one is just a bunch of repeated boxes with more boxes on the outside. I'll probably just stick to my grand ships with reinforced glass observation domes and militant C&C's.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: February 03, 2014, 01:40:30 am »

Meh. The human one is just a bunch of repeated boxes with more boxes on the outside. I'll probably just stick to my grand ships with reinforced glass observation domes and militant C&C's.
This. It's like they didn't even put any effort into it, just copy-pasted the original ship room a few times. Hell, even the big one is just like the others, except they've split it into two pieces and moved them a bit apart. WIP obviously, but still; I don't want my ship to just be a bunch of identical boxes with a shiny exterior. Not least because that looks super-inefficient to get around in. That, and the vanilla ship hold IS THE WRONG FUCKING SIZE. IT'S LIKE TWO TILES TOO SMALL IN THE VERTICAL DIMENSION. Also also, those boxes are shit for building a farm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7099 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:05 am »

If you'll mod out meteors on forest, jungle, snow, desert, arid, and grassland planets (or just take them out of the game entirely), I'll totally join your server! Right now I'm playing single-player until someone does that because I just can't bear the thought of having my base suddenly demolished.

For what it's worth, not every planet seems to have these phenomena, though I could be mistaken about that. We currently have a nice castle in the works, and it's yet to be toppled by anything. :P

They don't some planets have special weather types (meteors, rainbow rain, acid rain--FUCKING ACID RAIN, I HATE IT, IT BURNS), others don't.

The problem with meteors is there is no indication whatsoever whether a planet will have them, and it can take hours before they appear. I spent FOUR HOURS on a planet, exploring and starting to build, before the first meteor came out of nowhere and destroyed everything.

And no, you can't protect yourself by building an obsidian roof, because the meteors spawn at the edge of your screen, even if you're indoors. So if the obsidian roof isn't visible at the moment, you can still get smashed to pieces without warning. It can even happen underground. The meteors just chase you around the planet.

Really, it's a completely broken feature right now. I've modded it out of any planet biomes I might want to build on (the ones I listed before). I left them on the other biomes because I have no problem with a risk of meteors while I'm just exploring or mining.

And yeah, they need to find a better way to deal with things than just centering everything around the player. It should be a simple matter to put a timer on the crops so they catch up when you re-enter the area, as has been said already. I'll have to go and get that mod - I didn't realize it had been fixed and was just growing everything on my ship (a very limited space). Meteors could be handled by first checking the player's surroundings and seeing if they're underground or indoors before they fall (something the game already knows how to do). I don't know about the rest of the planet. It's kind of absurd that meteors only fall where you are, that NPC constructions are never damaged by them unless you happen to be nearby, but on the other hand I know the whole planet can't be loaded at once or the game would kill your computer.

If I install this mod to fix the crop growing times, will it interfere with playing on a multiplayer server?
As far as the meteors go, that's handled server-side, I believe, so unless someone is willing to at least partially mod them out of a server, I'm still sticking with single player, at least until they update the game so we can tell which planets will have meteors before we spend hours building on them.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: February 03, 2014, 02:07:48 am »

I need a little help testing something, if and when a willing subject gets the chance. It's come to my attention that (naturally) certain mods in multplayer require each player to have installed the mod personally in order for them to be compatible with the modded server.

To make sure I haven't effectively boxed everyone out, I'd appreciate if someone without Tabula Rasa tried logging in and fiddling with the crafting table at the bottom of the tower. If anything doesn't work or you're unable to log in, please get back to me. :P

If I install this mod to fix the crop growing times, will it interfere with playing into multiplayer server?

I think the result will be that the mod simply does not work while you are logged into the multiplayer You should still be able to access the servers and put along without any trouble.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:11:13 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:39 am »

I think I've found the mod Sappho and other meteor-haters have been looking for here. I haven't tried it, but the youtube video on that page shows what it does, and the commenters seem happy with it. If that doesn't do it, I've figured out how to manipulate meteor damage somewhat. Let me know what you're looking for exactly and I'll try to put the mod together.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7102 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:22 am »

I modded my own game so that the storms simply don't happen on certain biomes, where I want to build. I like the fact that they destroy stuff when they fall, I just don't want them unexpectedly destroying stuff I built, unaware that the planet I'm on will have meteor showers.

If someone can explain to me how to make a mod, I'll upload my changes for others to use. This was my first attempt at modding and it seemed very complicated, the process of unpacking and repacking the files and all that. What I ended up doing was unpacking everything, deleting the meteor code from the biomes I chose, then repacking it all and replacing the packed.pak file in the assets directory. I assume there's a way to do it where I only need to pack the files I've changed and somehow tell the game to use my modded files instead of the default ones, but I have no idea how that would be done.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: February 03, 2014, 03:02:36 am »

I think that meteors shouldn't destroy blocks that you place.

Or maybe it could be an option for each player?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: February 03, 2014, 03:03:09 am »

I think I've found the mod Sappho and other meteor-haters have been looking for here. I haven't tried it, but the youtube video on that page shows what it does, and the commenters seem happy with it. If that doesn't do it, I've figured out how to manipulate meteor damage somewhat. Let me know what you're looking for exactly and I'll try to put the mod together.

Thank you for this. Mod has been installed on server. :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #7105 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:33 am »

To make sure I haven't effectively boxed everyone out, I'd appreciate if someone without Tabula Rasa tried logging in and fiddling with the crafting table at the bottom of the tower. If anything doesn't work or you're unable to log in, please get back to me. :P

I was able to log on OK with no mods. Where's the tower at?
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:30 am »

I was able to log on OK with no mods. Where's the tower at?

Aha, so that was you! It turns out that everyone gets there own starting world these days, meaning I'd have to party you and let you warp over. I can log in now, if you're willing to give it a try!

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #7107 on: February 03, 2014, 03:20:04 am »

I can log in now, if you're willing to give it a try!

Sure; I just logged back in now.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: February 03, 2014, 03:33:24 am »

My fears were confirmed. Without having Tabula Rasa, Logical Recipes, and probably that meteor patch, my server is unplayable. Time to uninstall the whole load of it. :/

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: February 03, 2014, 03:36:57 am »

That much should be predictable. Never mod a server unless you want all your clients to have the same setup as you do, that's like server rule #1.

There's exceptions in some games. But when you're running a server you should try to block those anyway, since they can let someone cheat in a vanilla environment potentially.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 565