Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945318 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5235 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »

Made throwing daggers and javelin craftable but they hit 15 and 20 respectively. A bit OP for tier 1 equips. Right now, 5 daggers cost 1 iron and 25 pix and 5 javelin cost 1 iron and 5 wood blocks and 50 pix.

What do you think?
Are those reusable? Throwing an iron bar away per attack definitely (imho) makes up for the higher-than-normal damage.

Really hoping the "all planet difficulties are the same in a sector" change is temporary. It's completely killed exploration on the multiplayer server I play on, and has turned the game into a very linear resource grind in order to get to the next sector.

Additionally or alternatively, I hope that the whole sector concept is moddable. I'm not sure if I like the idea of sectors being locked by quests or grind items.
*sigh*

The difficulty curve is exactly the same, the only difference is that there are fewer groups. All of the difficulties between level 1-10 are now encompassed by level 1; you can find mobs that would have previously been classified as "level 10" on level one worlds just as much as ones that would have been "level one". I've seen a wide range of mobs from ones to barely hurt me up to ones that take a third of my life with one hit (not counting birds) in the same sector, and occasionally even on the same planet.

I have really not found this to be the case. The actual difficulty of planets that I've explored is fairly homogeneous in each non-end game sector, particularly since I've found weapon drops on my starting planet with every character I've made that easily deal with any monster in the sector.
I disagree. Monsters on my starting planet were dealt with fairly easily (bubble bird of death notwithstanding), but monsters on this other planet in the same system easily deal upwards of 30 damage per basic hit.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: December 11, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

Made throwing daggers and javelin craftable but they hit 15 and 20 respectively. A bit OP for tier 1 equips. Right now, 5 daggers cost 1 iron and 25 pix and 5 javelin cost 1 iron and 5 wood blocks and 50 pix.

What do you think?
I'd change it to 3 daggers per 1 iron & 30 pix, 5 javelins per 2 iron, 10 wood, 50 pix. They're a bit cheap for the power right now, especially given how common ores are in the current version.

Really hoping the "all planet difficulties are the same in a sector" change is temporary. It's completely killed exploration on the multiplayer server I play on, and has turned the game into a very linear resource grind in order to get to the next sector.

Additionally or alternatively, I hope that the whole sector concept is moddable. I'm not sure if I like the idea of sectors being locked by quests or grind items.
*sigh*

The difficulty curve is exactly the same, the only difference is that there are fewer groups. All of the difficulties between level 1-10 are now encompassed by level 1; you can find mobs that would have previously been classified as "level 10" on level one worlds just as much as ones that would have been "level one". I've seen a wide range of mobs from ones to barely hurt me up to ones that take a third of my life with one hit (not counting birds) in the same sector, and occasionally even on the same planet.

I have really not found this to be the case. The actual difficulty of planets that I've explored is fairly homogeneous in each non-end game sector, particularly since I've found weapon drops on my starting planet with every character I've made that easily deal with any monster in the sector.
"I found a sword that one-hits everything in the sector. Why does everything in the sector feel weak and same-y?"

Try this: Take off your armor. Let different monster types attack you without fighting back. If they all do identical damage, then you can complain. But if you're just killing them before they get a chance because you got lucky drops, that's not really the game's fault. I found a 2H sword that one-hits anything in my sector; I don't use it because it's boring.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: December 11, 2013, 03:50:22 pm »

Woo, finally got it working again! Must have been a mod that lost compatibility or something.

My first new character spawned right on top of some avian cultist base, which got me killed a few times just trying to make it safe to land.

Why are the birds winged terminators all of a sudden?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: December 11, 2013, 03:55:12 pm »

What do you think?
I'd change it to 3 daggers per 1 iron & 30 pix, 5 javelins per 2 iron, 10 wood, 50 pix. They're a bit cheap for the power right now, especially given how common ores are in the current version.

*sigh*

"I found a sword that one-hits everything in the sector. Why does everything in the sector feel weak and same-y?"

Try this: Take off your armor. Let different monster types attack you without fighting back. If they all do identical damage, then you can complain. But if you're just killing them before they get a chance because you got lucky drops, that's not really the game's fault. I found a 2H sword that one-hits anything in my sector; I don't use it because it's boring.

So I'm not allowed to give feedback on a beta game because I don't play the game the same way as you? Good to know.

As for drops, like I said, I've gotten these weapons easily and repeatably on my starting planet with multiple characters. No one on my MP server has trouble finding "lucky drops" easily on the starter planet. Perhaps the drops and RNG are an issue, not how I play the game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56:30 pm »

Putting new recipes into the player config is a pain in the ass. Did someone already suggested to the devs to put the tier levels into the recipe files?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5240 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:05 pm »

What do you think?
I'd probably add some plant fibre to the recipes for bindings and handles and whatnot.
As for recipes, most people just set it so that you get the recipe when you pick up sand or cobble or something.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: December 11, 2013, 04:02:09 pm »

I keep dying on the first world before the first tree, killed by some over sized chimps and white bats shooting hadoukens :(

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: December 11, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »

What do you think?
Sounds cool.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »

So guise, I heard this was a pretty good game and since some cash *cough*Christmasbonus*cough* came into my lap I decided to buy it. Anyone hosting a Bay12 server or anything? Or is it "NO NOOBZ GTFO" and I should start single player like I did for Terraria? Funny story, I jumped on to this guy I play with's server and called the Eye of Cthulhu and tried killing it with weaksauce copper armor and a magic boomerang. Got curbstomped when it bursted into our castle and we got stuck on the roof. Ah, good times.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: December 11, 2013, 04:05:45 pm »

What do you think?

*sigh*

So I'm not allowed to give feedback on a beta game because I don't play the game the same way as you? Good to know.

As for drops, like I said, I've gotten these weapons easily and repeatably on my starting planet with multiple characters. No one on my MP server has trouble finding "lucky drops" easily on the starter planet. Perhaps the drops and RNG are an issue, not how I play the game.
Hold on, let my check my storage; I might have a heart for that strawman.

You complained about monsters not differing in difficulty. I pointed out that they're on the exact same gradient, with the only difference being the visible indicator of difficulty (the level numbers). You correctly arrived at the point I was implying, that the issue has to do with something else (in this case, the quality of weapon drops). Congratulations. I'd applaud, but the application of basic reasoning doesn't really merit it.

I offered an alternative to boring combat, you got all up-in-arms about it. I don't really care about you (no offense, eh?), though, so that's mostly irrelevant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »

So, uh. I like moon-type moons. I've found the most silver on a planet on one, and even some surface gold.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »

These columns of blaststone (the aforementioned rocks created by intense heat) are stupidly rich in ores. I just found 8 platinum very near the surface, and there's tons of other stuff as well.

ETA: A couple of diamonds as well. Shame this blaststone takes so long to dig through, otherwise I'd probably just tunnel straight down and see what I find.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:15:13 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: December 11, 2013, 04:11:14 pm »

Ok, so how do you make it so you get blueprints on pickup? I'll probably tie it to key components or where it gets crafted.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: December 11, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »

>Create multiplayer server [private with a friend, sorry]
>Explore planet

>SO MUCH SURFACE GOLD.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: December 11, 2013, 04:19:42 pm »

Hold on, let my check my storage; I might have a heart for that strawman.

Let me give you a good example of a strawman:

Dismissing my comment about balance in a beta game by intentionally taking it out of context to belittle it, and then telling me that I had to earn the right to complain by playing the game how you want me to

Try this: Take off your armor. Let different monster types attack you without fighting back. If they all do identical damage, then you can complain.

and you're accusing me of making a strawman?

You complained about monsters not differing in difficulty. I pointed out that they're on the exact same gradient, with the only difference being the visible indicator of difficulty (the level numbers). You correctly arrived at the point I was implying, that the issue has to do with something else (in this case, the quality of weapon drops). Congratulations. I'd applaud, but the application of basic reasoning doesn't really merit it.

I'm not sure what your problem is. You even said it yourself that there are balancing issues that can make the game boring:

I found a 2H sword that one-hits anything in my sector; I don't use it because it's boring.

I offered an alternative to boring combat, you got all up-in-arms about it. I don't really care about you (no offense, eh?), though, so that's mostly irrelevant.

I'm just giving feedback about a beta game. No need to get angry about it.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 565