Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945018 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5040 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:00 pm »

Forsaken has forsaken me :(

Can anyone else PM me the server IP?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »

If someone comes up with a playstyle in the beta and expects that it will hold for the entirety of the game, they're doing something wrong. If you can't make any playstyle whatsoever any more difficult than it is currently, that means no more balance patches - surely someone was relying on the previous values.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »

So, basically (generic you) play the game differently than (everyone else, who are also dirty commies) so instead of taking the elementary modding system and making whatever you want (like dirt into fuel, 1000 per block) you go and take out frustrations of the developers not matching (generic your) super-special idea of What This Game Should Have Been on everyone else, instead of like... making it what you want?  Because that's why the modability was put in. I have no idea why everyone's getting so bent out of shape over... basically everything.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:43 pm »

I can see not wanting a totally realistic game - heck, your torches would burn out and you'd have to replace them.

But spaceship fuel as an in-game restriction is a good thing because it creates an objective.

It's like needing food or water in a game - most of the time you'll just have food and water. But sometimes the supply may be limited or you're stuck without a supply and you desperately need to get some. Instant gameplay objective. And it evolves from the gameplay organically, like seeking shelter.

Harsh weather could affect weak shelter forcing you to upgrade your building materials. Or build smaller shelters.

I think the value I'm describing is enjoyment of "overcoming reasonable adversity". The enjoyment of exploration would fall under "accumulation and advancement" and "experiencing novelty." These are all legitimate types of "fun" and it's totally possible for a lot of people to experience more enjoyment from one thing and only frustration with another.

And there's no sense trying to argue that the game should cater more to one player's enjoyment types than anothers'. Nor is it worthwhile to say that some types of enjoyment are better or that people should change.

That said, I'm surprised normal exploration doesn't yield more than enough fuel. Seems like only barging around in your ship burning fuel would result in not having any fuel. If that's untrue, then exploration needs to yield more fuel.

So maybe the game should have a setting that skips some of the grinding, perhaps just by decreasing costs of things. In a multiplayer environment the server admin would have to set the grind level.

//

As for surface chests having loot, why do they even? C'mon, it's been 39 years since D&D came out and suggested that the deeper you go, the more risk and reward. Are people still making games where you can load up on massive loot without really doing anything?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5044 on: December 10, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »

Honestly its beta, I see no reason not to make the IP public. We know there is gonna be a char wipe anyway and I am tired of PMing people.

The server IP is muse.dyndns.tv

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:50 pm »

People are moving their ship around the galaxy too much?  First: Are they?  What is "too much" and what is "too fast" to explore a planet?  Do we have a timer, do you have a chart with cooldown times as to when we should finish?  Second: Do you fix this by forcing players to stay on planets?  Wouldn't it be so much better if planets were more interesting and players willingly stayed there?  The problem isn't the ease of traveling to different planets, the problem is how much loot is available from surface chests.  If there were a rational progression of better items being deeper, or guarded by more NPC dungeon guards, then planet travel wouldn't matter - you still have to earn your loot.

You know, this seems to be the direction the SB team is moving in. We don't QUITE have nice depth-based loot generation, but the last update alone added more chests everywhere. Hopefully, by 1.0, we'll have sidequest givers and a full pet system and whatever other cool longevity mechanics they're planning.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »

Honestly its beta, I see no reason not to make the IP public. We know there is gonna be a char wipe anyway and I am tired of PMing people.
Well, there will be more in the future, but not with this patch no.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:58 pm »

The patch is currently in testing and has been for about 20 minutes.

There will NOT be a character wipe according to Kyren.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »

@Deon.

Could we have a Syndicate/Delaque(Necromunda) style armour set? Should be pretty easy leg-wise with the trench coats (more of a shading problem than a leg-goes-here thing).

And do you mind if I grab and then modify some of your work? It's far easier if I've got some base models to work off. I'm happy if you want to use them in your mod-pack if you wish, and will credit you for whatever they get used for if you don't. I've got about a week before real work hours start up, so it'll be something creative to do with my time.

Also, Darth Vader armour and Ripley (Aliens 3 console platformer game) might also be a prime candidate. Maybe Metroid, original Prince of Persia and Flashback, just for a laugh. I'll see what I come up with. I'm sure I've got side-view mock-ups from AliensRL around somewhere.
It's a game. Have fun.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: December 10, 2013, 06:49:15 pm »

People are moving their ship around the galaxy too much?  First: Are they?  What is "too much" and what is "too fast" to explore a planet?  Do we have a timer, do you have a chart with cooldown times as to when we should finish?  Second: Do you fix this by forcing players to stay on planets?  Wouldn't it be so much better if planets were more interesting and players willingly stayed there?  The problem isn't the ease of traveling to different planets, the problem is how much loot is available from surface chests.  If there were a rational progression of better items being deeper, or guarded by more NPC dungeon guards, then planet travel wouldn't matter - you still have to earn your loot.

You know, this seems to be the direction the SB team is moving in. We don't QUITE have nice depth-based loot generation, but the last update alone added more chests everywhere. Hopefully, by 1.0, we'll have sidequest givers and a full pet system and whatever other cool longevity mechanics they're planning.
They should make it so you can feed your pet anything, but if you try to feed your pet a knife for example it will refuse and if you persist in force-feeding it the pet dies.

Like, what did you expect would happen.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:26 pm »

Hopefully, by 1.0

Sir, I'm going to insist that you stop thinking of the game as it will be, but instead treat this admittedly buggy and unfinished beta as a final product and judge it as if the game had been out for more than a year will full patch support. It's the only way to hold reasonable discourse on the interwebs.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: December 10, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »

Hopefully, by 1.0

Sir, I'm going to insist that you stop thinking of the game as it will be, but instead treat this admittedly buggy and unfinished beta as a final product and judge it as if the game had been out for more than a year will full patch support. It's the only way to hold reasonable discourse on the interwebs.
Beta is NOT beta?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:55 pm »

Patch is out. Restart steam or verify.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:22 pm »

Patch is out. Restart steam or verify.
Any patch notes?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 565