Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945195 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4905 on: December 10, 2013, 05:56:56 am »

I'm more interested in why we can't make the most, uh, reasonable tools ever. Namely, iron and steel pickaxes, not to mention axes, hoes, etc.

Plus, with all the distancing from Terraria, I was kinda hoping they would dump the whole "silver and gold equipment" thing. Copper armor, iron armor, fine. But then you have silver and gold, which makes almost less sense than the lead armor in the updated Terraria.

Gold's only advantage as armor is resistance to corrosion. Make it gold-plated iron armor, and I can actually get behind that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:59:26 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: December 10, 2013, 06:03:38 am »

Yea, silver, gold and diamond are all a bit gimmicky, especially for a fantasy game that has so many more options. Replace gold with bismuth!  :P

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: December 10, 2013, 06:08:33 am »

Make it gold-plated iron armor, and I can actually get behind that.
Don't you make Gold armor with Steel armor and Silver armor with Copper armor? That seems to be what they're going for.
Although, you have platinum armor...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:24 am »

Don't you make Gold armor with Steel armor and Silver armor with Copper armor? That seems to be what they're going for.
Yeah, you do make silver with copper (though you also make the race-specific Iron armor with copper... what the?), so that bit might be excusable. Though in the absence of spells, I'm not sure what silver plating is supposed to reflect.

They could have made it chromium, at least. Chromium/iron alloys are notoriously strong.

With gold and steel though, it's the other damn way around. Gold armor is the basis for Steel.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:08 am »

I'd like to see some upgrades for the armour pieces. Things like upgrade a helmet with a built in torch or night vision, armour with heating or healing, boots with rockets or magnets (to walk upside down on metal surfaces). Things like the copper or silver helmet look less like armour and more like a piece of technical kit.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: December 10, 2013, 06:23:56 am »

Sooo, once a server exists, would anyone be interested in doing some RP, with fresh chars? Hell, if there is enough interest, I could write up a small story to go behind and record this and post it on youtube. That would be pretty cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: December 10, 2013, 06:41:39 am »

Yeah, you do make silver with copper (though you also make the race-specific Iron armor with copper... what the?), so that bit might be excusable. Though in the absence of spells, I'm not sure what silver plating is supposed to reflect.

They could have made it chromium, at least. Chromium/iron alloys are notoriously strong.

With gold and steel though, it's the other damn way around. Gold armor is the basis for Steel.
HI Sean, long time no see! Where did your DF mods go? :D
In my modpack I plan to rework it in a more logical way.

So it's copper armor, then iron armor (without requirement for copper), then chromium (silver replacement) armor (with requirement of iron), then steel armor.
Great idea about chromium, I was trying to figure out what to use to replace silver.

Diamond is going to be a very specific item - for special armors I am adding (as element) and for matter manipulator upgrade (most likely I will not remove pickaxe, but my main idea is to incorporate tiers for matter manipulator which will require rare elements for upgrades).

Regarding leather, we will have race-specific armor sets starting with "fur armor" or "leather armor", both craftable from the same materials, with leather having more protection and fur having more warmth.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:43:24 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: December 10, 2013, 06:45:18 am »

Anybody feel that right now gold and silver have been turned waaay up? I'm swimming in the stuff...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:15 am »

Ores have been turned way up in general, this is likely temporary for the beta, or the first stage of beta. It was in the patch notes.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:40 am »

The game is broke...tier 2 2handed hylotl sword...5,357 dps and 3,750 damage per swing, silver is the base armor for tier 2 and any mini-boss will 1 shot you...never got hit by the ufo boss since...well it died from about 5 shots with the iron arrow...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:07 am »

Ores have been turned way up in general, this is likely temporary for the beta, or the first stage of beta. It was in the patch notes.
Ah, I see.

In other news, I tried the 2h swing timing style, I tried the shield + dagger shiv master style, and now I'm ding double short swords.
Very much a change of pace here. The other ways to fight involved careful timing, while right now the best way to fight involved getting your swords alternating and keep both buttons held down, while you lawnmower anything in front of you. The downside is that without the range and coverage of the 2h sword, or the defense of a shield you can't afford to let guys come to you and really need to actually line yourself up...

So far no weapon style has been very convenient, but they all felt fun and even with each other. I hope the directional attacks don't mess that up.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:06 am »

The game is broke...tier 2 2handed hylotl sword...5,357 dps and 3,750 damage per swing, silver is the base armor for tier 2 and any mini-boss will 1 shot you...never got hit by the ufo boss since...well it died from about 5 shots with the iron arrow...
That's a problem with all crafted weapons, yeah. The problem is that the crafted weapons are balanced for a tier that is equal to their level instead of tier point the units in their old level. (so the early iron weapons are weighted at 5, instead of 1.5, and I think the next tier is supposed to be balanced at 2.5 instead of 25 and so on.) Seems that miniboss generation works off the old numbers with the new system.

Oh, and credit goes to Janet for figuring out the exact numbers.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:27 am »

You can no longer attack through blocks
Well fuck.
No worries! You just have to leave holes. You can still mostly to entirely neuter enemies with a fine dusting of dirt.

Also, birds can go right to hell, now. They used to be fairly ignorable. NO LONGER!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:09 am »

Why is everybody having troubles with birds but me?
I have yet to notice a difference...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:47 am »

They fly a lot lower now, to the point I saw a bird get stuck in a small cave. Impossible is an overstatement.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 565