Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: BEST war animal?  (Read 8726 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: BEST war animal?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »

I once made Crocbears. Nothing stood in its way. Nothing.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 07:17:05 pm »

Gorillas are sick war animals imo.  They wrestle like champs - I have a swarm of them in my current fort, and it's pretty funny watching them rip goblins apart.

So you could say in order to beat the goblins, you used "Gorilla warfare "? *YEAHHH!*                                                                                                                                                                   
Blargh.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »

Gorillas are sick war animals imo.  They wrestle like champs - I have a swarm of them in my current fort, and it's pretty funny watching them rip goblins apart.

So you could say in order to beat the goblins, you used "Gorilla warfare "? *YEAHHH!*                                                                                                                                                                 

I have an overabundance of a particular type of war bear, so invaders often come to a grizzly end.  8)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:35 pm »

See, now i'm all in a fuss.

Here's the situation: I genned a new world, and my dwarf civ has access to war grizzlies as well as cave crocs. Which do I bring on embark? Also, for future reference, does a cave croc need a nest box, or are they mammilian crocodiles?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 08:32:11 pm »

You guys clearly havent seen an elephant or chained jabberer.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »

Here's the situation: I genned a new world, and my dwarf civ has access to war grizzlies as well as cave crocs. Which do I bring on embark? Also, for future reference, does a cave croc need a nest box, or are they mammilian crocodiles?
Cave crocs, they can be used for a lot of things, food, leather, war animals, bolts.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »

<_<

>_>

War succubi

*runs*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »

<_<

>_>

War succubi

*runs*
This... This is true.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »

The deadliest war animal of all. Man.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:20 am »

You cant train those.

And I'm talking sheer mean killing potential. Grizzly or crocodile?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 03:48:15 am »

Cave crocs sound pretty awesome. 

I'd like to get my hands on some jabberers, because those are some damn furious purple birds.

Also it just occurred to me that jabberers ought to be given vocalizations.  And never shut up.  Ever. 
where is up?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 05:44:15 am »

The deadliest war animal of all. Man.
You cant train those.

Oh, but you can. You definitely can. Cage trap a human (or goblin, or elf) the next time they invade and pit it into a danger room, with occasional breaks so it doesn't collapse in exhaustion and die. Once it's a legendary fighter you can re-cage and maneuver it into the path of the next siege/FB visit. Not sure which other races a human will attack, but part of the fun is finding out!

Extra points if it's a civ leader that you turn into your personal crazed, unwilling guard dog. 
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:36 am »

Out of all the ones I've tested:

Gorillas are kings in wrestling. A weak goblin faced with a gorilla 1v1 will lose.

Grizzlies fight very, very hard. I had one fight off a dragon on its own while my dwarves were retreating; while it didn't kill it it managed to break the dragon's leg. This dragon was 550 years old at the time. The grizzly only injuries were minor melting and a lost leg.

Siamangs fight like gorillas but are smaller and weaker.

Rhesus Macaques fight like Siamangs but are smaller and weaker and prefer to scratch and bite. Good en masse.

Troglodytes (with modding) are quite good. They become strong hand to hand fighters and a goblin vs a troglodyte will have a very difficult time.

Unicorns are very strong, provided they get to use that horn. I had one kill a forgotten beast, and it died of its wounds.

Crundles are quite weak, unless they get a lucky hit. Best used en masse.
Their claws can rip a completely unarmored enemy apart provided its attention is drawn elsewhere.

Horses are as strong as Unicorns. While they can't stab with a horn, their kicks are insanely powerful.

Cows/oxen/mules/donkeys can be rather surprising. In a pinch they fight quite well.

Black bears fight like grizzlies, though not as strongly.

Elephants are rather strong. They have a propensity to charge, and their horns help matters.

Cougars/lions/cheetahs/other big cats are very good too. They seem rather frail, though.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:11 am »

I sense impending SCIENCE! My bets are on donkey kong, if only because I don't know a nickname for a cave croc.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

K. Rool.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4