Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: BEST war animal?  (Read 8715 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: BEST war animal?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »

War rabbits, have none of you ever seen Monty python and the holy grail?

Been mentioned...

And weaponized...

FOREVER.

Obviously, none of you have ever been attacked by a jabberer. Those things can take a hit, they don't need grass, and I have seen one sever a dragon's lower body. Need I say any more?

We don't weaponize jabberers for the same reason we don't touch crundles D:

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »

Obviously, none of you have ever been attacked by a jabberer. Those things can take a hit, they don't need grass, and I have seen one sever a dragon's lower body. Need I say any more?

Ideally, a screenshot. Dragons are size 25 million, compared to a jabberer's 4.5 million. That's a bit more than the difference between a rodent-man (size 40k, about half the size of a human) and a lion (size 200k, about the size of a lion)--not insurmountable, but it would require unusual circumstances for the jabberer/rodent-man to triumph. "But GreatWyrmGold," you say, "Dragons don't come into being automatically ten centuries old!" You're right. However, many worlds are at least that old, and megabeasts start with a few centuries growth (~750 IIRC). Let's say that it was a ~350-year-old dragon (after about -400 years of worldgen, if my quoted statistic is correct), which pegs it at a bit over eight million. More balanced, like a kobold (size 20k, a bit bigger than a badger) versus a leopard (size 50k, about the size of a leopard). Alright, the size differential is slightly exaggerated, but the kobold's not ripping the leopard in half any time soon. And that's disregarding a dragon's flight, fire, and megabeast status.

That all being said, jabberers are among the strongest non-unique and non-HFS creatures in DF. That's undeniable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:08 am »

Ideally, a screenshot. Dragons are size 25 million, compared to a jabberer's 4.5 million. That's a bit more than the difference between a rodent-man (size 40k, about half the size of a human) and a lion (size 200k, about the size of a lion)--not insurmountable, but it would require unusual circumstances for the jabberer/rodent-man to triumph. "But GreatWyrmGold," you say, "Dragons don't come into being automatically ten centuries old!" You're right. However, many worlds are at least that old, and megabeasts start with a few centuries growth (~750 IIRC). Let's say that it was a ~350-year-old dragon (after about -400 years of worldgen, if my quoted statistic is correct), which pegs it at a bit over eight million. More balanced, like a kobold (size 20k, a bit bigger than a badger) versus a leopard (size 50k, about the size of a leopard). Alright, the size differential is slightly exaggerated, but the kobold's not ripping the leopard in half any time soon. And that's disregarding a dragon's flight, fire, and megabeast status.

That all being said, jabberers are among the strongest non-unique and non-HFS creatures in DF. That's undeniable.
I see now. I wanted to make a large world, and someone could probably build a better dwarfputer than my current computer in real life, so I set history to "short", so that it wouldn't take a year to generate. So it tore a ~120 year old dragon in half. Still pretty impressive if I do say so myself.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 01:50:14 pm »

*ahem*

YOUR MOTHER
where is up?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »

Jabberers are tough? Shit I sent my dwarves to kill them all the time without troubl. Never knew that was something I should be trapping.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »

Hmm...

I modded VCCs to be normal pets. They are FREAKIN' AWESOME.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »

Currently I have an obsession with War mastiff's ( genesis )  they are about the same size as a dwarf, have litters of 3 - 4, take one year to mature and are expendable.   aside from random Mastiff Bombs  all of my warriors have atleast three assigned to them.

Against a standard goblin they probably wont win but thats not that theyre for, I  use them to  pin down the goblin while my axedwarf moves in for the kill.

Also this thread has inspired me to experiment with !SCIENCE! to mod the ultimate war animal one question though how would I make such an animal avaialble on the trade agreement list  so that once created I can just import them from the mountainhomes ??

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 07:13:41 am »

My experiments with war animals were unsuccessful. They just suck too much. In 31.18 I had a lot of war animals, including elephants and big cats, and goblins still tore them to shreds. A few are OK as chained sentries, but an army of them needs training, walks in circles eating FPS, die more easily than recruits in metal armor, and clog my coffins.

As of now I implement a strict policy of butchering everything but a few cats, and not buying exotics from elves.

That said, pre-grazing elephants, as well as bears and big cats (lions, tigers, cheetahs) can at least take a few hits before bleeding to death.

Since there is a per-species pop cap of 50 a serious attempt at creating an army of animals should include multiple species. Still, it is much better to just figure out the military.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:32 am »

I just use dogs to keep enemies somewhat occupied while my militia gets their shit together, also chained guard animals, and the occasional larger predators littered around the place in zoos and chained around the place as a somewhat last ditch defence..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]