Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I keep dwarves from having FRIENDS and ACQUAINTANCES?  (Read 1930 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
How do I keep dwarves from having FRIENDS and ACQUAINTANCES?
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »

By the time I get 100 dwarves, I usually have way too many sitting around idle, chumming it up with each other. This is bad for business whenever I need to dig out some magma, channel some deep holes, or clog up a siege's path with dwarf corpses, because by then everyone is friends with everyone, and they get pissy.

So, what can I do to keep idlers in very small groups, or even better, make them shun everyone else and just sit all alone when idle? Preferably not wherever they stopped their last job, so they aren't idle in dangerous spots

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: How do I keep dwarves from having FRIENDS and ACQUAINTANCES?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »

FORCE THEM TO WORK

on break?

BURROW THEM ON THEIR ISOLATED ROOMS
MAKE SURE THEY HAVE NOTHING MAGMA SAFE
START PLUMBING MAGMA UP.
or you could make it so they dont talk to  anybody when on break, or eating, or anything, quite hard...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:55:54 pm »

no meeting area, no dining hall, no statue garden
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

No meeting area, isolated dining room, bedroom next to it.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »

Homeschool? An oubliette? Making sure they have an offensive body odour. Hmm, to be honest they usually take care of that last one by themselves.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:54:41 pm »

strangely, ive noticed the best solution is to essentially divide military/food/industry as best as possible.

if you want almost no friends just make 3 burrowed levels, one for each category. with a hauler brigade whos kept nice and safe.

an interesting side effect i have seen with this is tantrum spirals that only effect a portion of my fortress. its rather odd.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »

Don't let them be idle.   If you have idle dwarves, find work for them.  Enable masonry on them, build mason's shops, mass-produce rock blocks, and build a giant aboveground tower or something.  Mass-produce rock crafts so you can give the next caravan a 10000% profit for no reason.  Harvest every plant in the caverns and on the surface.  Keep your dwarves busy, they won't be able to make friends.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »

You actually get yours to socialize with each other? Lucky bastard.

Even with my huge dining room and two statue gardens, I'm fairly certain the only people who have friends are members of the starting seven. And even that is only with other members of the starting seven. Everyone else just has a long list of passing acquaintances.

In Gorerape's ten years, I've had ONE party. Started by one of the starting seven who was friends with most of the other starting seven. Little bastards are too productive for their own good...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

Even with my huge dining room and two statue gardens, I'm fairly certain the only people who have friends are members of the starting seven. And even that is only with other members of the starting seven. Everyone else just has a long list of passing acquaintances.

In Gorerape's ten years, I've had ONE party. Started by one of the starting seven who was friends with most of the other starting seven. Little bastards are too productive for their own good...

Well that's it. Number of friendships is a decreasing function of the size of a meeting area.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

Well that's it. Number of friendships is a decreasing function of the size of a meeting area.

Well they'd feel awkward all bunched together chatting in a MASSIVE dining room. So they have to space themselves out. But then it'd be even more awkward to shout to each other across the room, so they don't really have many conversations.

Dear god, that's the solution! I'll make a 30 tile wide dining room for them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »

Dwarves only become friends if they stand near another dwarf for a while. If your meeting room is huge, dwarves rarely stand near enough to become friends.  With tiny meeting rooms, everyone becomes friends (or, sometimes, form grudges).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »

Ohhh, that explains alot about my current fortress..

i have an 11 tile diagonal dining room, it is alternating rows of tables and chairs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »

Tried mandatory national service? Idle Dwarves go training >:£

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »

This is bad for business whenever I need to dig out some magma, channel some deep holes, or clog up a siege's path with dwarf corpses, because by then everyone is friends with everyone, and they get pissy.

That kind of applies to everything in dwarf fortress... But uhm, I'm sure there's ways to mod them to all hate each other or something!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:51 pm »

This is bad for business whenever I need to dig out some magma, channel some deep holes, or clog up a siege's path with dwarf corpses, because by then everyone is friends with everyone, and they get pissy.

That kind of applies to everything in dwarf fortress... But uhm, I'm sure there's ways to mod them to all hate each other or something!

Do dwarves get a happy thought when a grudge dies?
Pages: [1] 2