Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40705 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Both PIPA and SOPA shelved!
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

While I probably could add something longish and decent to the discussion, I'm kinda tired and theres enough longish things here already, so we need a more direct responce:

Stop fucking whining, entertainment industry. You have plenty of money. You are still gaining money. The Internet, like the mp3 player, the DVD, the CD, the VHS, and the tape recorder, is not going to kill you (unless you continue to increase the ticket price to movies to the point where its cheaper to buy the dvd than watch it in the theater, but that's you own damn fault if it gets to that point).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »

They are becoming obsolete though. Every time there is a leap forward they become a little less necessary and a business model for artists that involves more anarchy than contracts looms near. A lot of very rich people make a lot of very green money off of their practical ownership of artists, and they want to keep that alive as long as possible.

Otherwise, how will they commission giant gold statues of themselves and buy elections?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2012, 09:02:12 pm »

They are becoming obsolete though. Every time there is a leap forward they become a little less necessary and a business model for artists that involves more anarchy than contracts looms near. A few very rich people make a lot of very green money off of their practical ownership of artists, and they want to keep that alive as long as possible.

Otherwise, how will they commission giant human bone statues of themselves and buy politicians en masse?
Edited for accuracy.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:27 pm »

Obvious they should do like everyone else does: Adapt or die. You want a free market, well this is how it works

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »

Exactly, but we don't have a free market anymore. We have a stagnant corptocracy where the rich have to be dragged kicking and screaming away from their existing money making schemes, human rights be dammed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »

Obvious they should do like everyone else does: Adapt or die. You want a free market, well this is how it works
They don't want a free market, they want a market dominated by them.  So they won't adapt much, if at all.  Because to adapt, they would need to acknowledge that the internet is eating into their market share, and that's bad for business.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »

One wonders if they'll bother adapting at all, or whether these desperate attempts at stifling the innovation that's now outdoing them are signs of these business models in their death throes. I don't expect such companies to truly fall for a long while, of course... Most likely, a cycle will continue for a while in which the media companies make an advance (e.g. taking down MU), and whatever internet community they anger or inconvenience will adapt around the restrictions they set up. Until something really big happens for either side (such as a major law that benefits one or the other), I don't see anything but a stalemate for now.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »

Internet is to the entertainment industry as what green energy is to coal and oil producers.

To adapt costs money, it needs an investment in capital from the company. They don't like that, its not even because they don't like progress, its mostly because greedy individuals with massive power are too short sighted and arrogant to consider the long term upsides to adaptation.

So they naturally don't want anything to change. Change is scary, change isn't exactly a sound business plan, unless you're the new guy, then change is awesome.

And if political bribing continues like this civilization itself will crawl to a halt because moving forward isn't approved of by the powerful 1%.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »

Precisely. The question is whether people will smarten up and eventually leave behind the non-innovators, or stagnate along with them. Time will tell, I suppose...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »

And all they need to say is "jobs" to get the public on their side, who are desperately dependent on job security for basic survival.

Which is why our culture needs to get past this ingrained notion that a person cannot justify their existence unless they have a job.  Modern society does not need people working just for the sake of working.  That only causes most people to throw more than half their waking lives away on superfluous bullshit that often does more harm than good for humanity.

But as long as civilization continues to base its functioning on the accumulation of wealth, this isn't going to change.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:03 pm »

That's an excellent point regarding the social component of all this. I've generally held that a major culture change is needed before we can really fix the problems caused by our completely profit-driven society (because, in my experience, selfish winner-takes-all capitalism tends to be seen as acceptable in all but the worst scenarios). I'm not sure how such a thing could even begin, however...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »

I really don't think it has anything to do with money, merely power. It doesn't matter what system (or lack there of) you put in place, so long as their is free will there will be those who seek to dominate their fellow men.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:55 pm »

The question is whether or not the system legitimizes that domination.  Without a system of functioning that is accepted by the general population as 'the way the world works', that domination would be seen nakedly for the violence that it is and opposed appropriately.

A handful of warlords claims control of the vast majority of the planet and share only with those who prove useful to their own ends is seen exactly as they are.

A handful of ultra wealthy do exactly the same, but with legal contracts as their weapons, and they're seen as job creators...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2012, 04:02:21 am »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2012, 04:36:16 am »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
So when do you think he'll whip out the death ray? Because that's the only thing missing from the image of a James Bond villain he's trying to cultivate. Besides, you know, the intelegence, suave, and women

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36