Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372668 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3480 on: May 06, 2014, 10:58:33 am »

Oddly, I got that achievement randomly after a laser weapon set a room on fire and some heavily injured crewman died trying to put it out. I'd really expected it to take a lot more finagling on my part to get.

Of course, the RNG is getting back at me by not letting my Rock C ever see the Rock Homeworlds...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: May 06, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

Any advice for the Mantis C? I have no idea how to use this thing. I have no idea whether to use the mantis or lanius for boarding early on.
Use both and as soon as they warp over put the mantis in a different room. Once someone starts fighting the lanius drop a stun bomb on it. This gives it time to drain the air and kill off the enemy/enemies before they can hurt it too badly, while your mantis is happily slicing and dicing elsewhere.

Probably faster to just leave them both in the same room and let the mantis suffocate, and faster = less damage taken, which = more scrap for upgrades. You have a clone bay after all.

But yeah, mantis C is really... not so good. Mantis b is the second best ship in the game so I guess c can't be any better (or the game would be super easy) but it just feels like such a pointless ship.

What do you think is the best ship?  I don't have mantis B so I can't comment on how good it is, my personal feeling for best is... Engi A, or Zoltan C?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »

I'd have to go with either Crystal B or Lanius B.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: May 06, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »

The Kestrel B is pretty great too, not as amazing as the Mantis B but a lot less specialized.  Those 4 starting "lasers" are a wonderful starting loadout.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:42 pm »

Despite how much I love the Stealth ships, they're probably not THE BEST. Engi A, Kestrel B, Zoltan B are the best IMHO.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: May 06, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »

I'd have to go with either Crystal B or Lanius B.
Yeah, crystal B is the best.

The combo of crystal crewmembers and a 4 man teleporter means that it is able to board kill every ship with ease (besides that flagship).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:30:28 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: May 06, 2014, 06:28:07 pm »

On a related note, why didn't we get a Crystal or Lanius C?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: May 06, 2014, 07:01:34 pm »

Out of ideas, maybe.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3488 on: May 06, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »

Someone pointed out that the Engi C was a Lanius-Engi hybrid and that the Rock C was a Crystal-Rock hybrid. These likely were the concepts that they wanted for the Lanius and Crystal C, but it would have been more fitting to give them to the Engi and Rock C as opposed to trying to think of some odd alternative for them.

So basically, they're out of ideas.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:42 pm »

While I'm not going to complain about the C variants, and some of them are the same quality as the A/B variants, there are flaws.  Some of them are boring, most of them have dull and weak weapon loadouts, and the layouts and colors aren't great.  The colors especially.  Federation C has pirate markings but the wrong color, so no one's markings really (and Swallow had the same idea.)  Rock and Engi C are OK but bland, Zoltan C is very similar looking to Zoltan B but worse, Slug and Stealth C go completely against the stealth character of their ships (both previous slug variants were painted to blend in with nebula).  Minor detail but makes me wonder if they didn't get the same artist back or had less time to prepare or something.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3490 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:23 pm »

The Slug C is yellow because of well.... banana slugs.

Heck, Ariolimax, the Slug C's default name, is the Genus name for banana slugs.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: May 07, 2014, 04:14:46 am »

Any advice for the Mantis C? I have no idea how to use this thing. I have no idea whether to use the mantis or lanius for boarding early on.
Use both and as soon as they warp over put the mantis in a different room. Once someone starts fighting the lanius drop a stun bomb on it. This gives it time to drain the air and kill off the enemy/enemies before they can hurt it too badly, while your mantis is happily slicing and dicing elsewhere.

Probably faster to just leave them both in the same room and let the mantis suffocate, and faster = less damage taken, which = more scrap for upgrades. You have a clone bay after all.

But yeah, mantis C is really... not so good. Mantis b is the second best ship in the game so I guess c can't be any better (or the game would be super easy) but it just feels like such a pointless ship.

What do you think is the best ship?  I don't have mantis B so I can't comment on how good it is, my personal feeling for best is... Engi A, or Zoltan C?

Crystal B > Mantis B > Lanius B, IMO.

4 man Teleporter + 3 crystal crew + cloak means you can teleport into the weapon room, spam lockdown to keep everyone out while you destroy it, and with a bit of luck and good cloak timing make it all the way to sector 3 or 4 without taking a single point of damage.

If you get a weapon (any weapon that does damage) you can even easily kill autoscouts with lvl 1 teleporter, because crystals take half suffocation damage and have extra life.

Edit:
The Kestrel B is pretty great too, not as amazing as the Mantis B but a lot less specialized.  Those 4 starting "lasers" are a wonderful starting loadout.

I'd say kestrel b is a solid choice for 4th best ship. Nice starting weapons, good ship layout, decent starting crew. Boarding is just too overpowered though, so the ships that start with teleporter + good boarding crew really pull ahead.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:21:20 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: May 07, 2014, 04:16:00 am »

Well that explains why Rocks tend to have oxygen on their ships.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: May 07, 2014, 08:00:17 am »

Am I the only one who doesn't like Crystal B all that much? I know how powerful it is, but it still feels really boring for me, and not just because it's so strong.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: May 07, 2014, 08:36:21 am »

It is pretty "non-interactive" - that is, no matter what the enemy ship is your strategy will be basically the same throughout.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 243