Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372694 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3465 on: May 04, 2014, 10:12:27 am »

Try having four of them in a four-man teleporter. It was seconds before the enemy ships looked like a set piece from Event Horizon: bits of people everywhere.

Add some heal bombs here and there and you don't even need to beam them aboard your ship for healing anymore. Just remember to destroy cloning devices.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: May 04, 2014, 10:17:44 am »

Meh. If only I didn't have an Australian accent.......
But America and Britan are both completely enamored with Australian accents.

I might do audio for the next stream, to be honest. We'll see. At the very least I think I'll take the advice on the music/effects balance.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: May 04, 2014, 10:24:45 am »

Because of that, Clonebay's usefulness is somewhat diminished. :<

It is only ever worth it if you have a ton of explosive zoltans to spare or some lanius you can't afford to lose. And crystals, can't forget 'em.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3468 on: May 04, 2014, 10:43:48 am »

Try having four of them in a four-man teleporter. It was seconds before the enemy ships looked like a set piece from Event Horizon: bits of people everywhere.
Try that with a Clone bay, and a secondary teleport of a Rock and Human to back them up.

That was a fun run as mantis B some time ago.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: May 04, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »

You don't get your crew back if you have a medbay either.  My suggestion would be to not let enemy ships jump away with your crew.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3470 on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:58 am »

Alas, I ran out of missiles, and my remaining Burst II and Attack Drone couldn't pull down the boss's shields long enough for me to bring my hull and fire beams to bear. The second form took me down by drone force, after a cakewalk first form with boarders.

I did manage to unlock the Red Tail, though, after picking up full arsenal.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:06 am »

Because of that, Clonebay's usefulness is somewhat diminished. :<

It is only ever worth it if you have a ton of explosive zoltans to spare or some lanius you can't afford to lose. And crystals, can't forget 'em.
Personally the main reason I like the clone bay is that it lets you dodge 95% of the random events that claim your crewmembers. No need to fear fighting giant spiders or throwing the engis out of the exploding station when even if your guy dies he just comes back out of the clone bay (only random events I know of that can actually kill through the clonebay are the great eye and the disease one).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: May 05, 2014, 04:34:44 am »

There are two disease ones that can perma-kill your crew (the quarantine one and the abandoned space station with weird life signals).  There's also a quest-end event that causes one of your crew to become hostile if you elect to investigate a space station, I think.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: May 05, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »

Has the great eye/ monolith actually got a success?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »

Sometimes you get a healing burst, sometimes you get a bunch of scrap, sometimes you get in a fight, and the rest of the time *poof* goes a crew member.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: May 05, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »

Any advice for the Mantis C? I have no idea how to use this thing. I have no idea whether to use the mantis or lanius for boarding early on.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: May 05, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »

Any advice for the Mantis C? I have no idea how to use this thing. I have no idea whether to use the mantis or lanius for boarding early on.
Use both and as soon as they warp over put the mantis in a different room. Once someone starts fighting the lanius drop a stun bomb on it. This gives it time to drain the air and kill off the enemy/enemies before they can hurt it too badly, while your mantis is happily slicing and dicing elsewhere.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:58 am »

Use both and as soon as they warp over put the mantis in a different room. Once someone starts fighting the lanius drop a stun bomb on it. This gives it time to drain the air and kill off the enemy/enemies before they can hurt it too badly, while your mantis is happily slicing and dicing elsewhere.

Probably faster to just leave them both in the same room and let the mantis suffocate, and faster = less damage taken, which = more scrap for upgrades. You have a clone bay after all.

But yeah, mantis C is really... not so good. Mantis b is the second best ship in the game so I guess c can't be any better (or the game would be super easy) but it just feels like such a pointless ship.

Five games with the rock cruiser.

FIVE GAMES trying to get that fucking 'Kill a burning enemy' achievement. Denied every time due to some BS.
No non-missile weapons and out of missiles? Check.
Get fire drone, have enemy crew keep running from rock crew until the ship finally explodes? Check.
Have enemy repair their ship too quickly for me to make use of the fire drone? Check.
No fires caused by any of my weapons, despite the game saying they can start fires? Check.
No teleporters in any shops ever? Check.

The fire one is almost impossible unless you get a fire weapon, and a teleporter, and make it to the boss (the enemies in the guns have nowhere to run) all in the same run, or manage to set the whole ship on fire.

It's really a PITA, and it's worse because the rock ship is (at least imo) really annoying, and the other achievement is even more random.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: May 06, 2014, 03:41:39 am »

The fire one is almost impossible unless you get a fire weapon, and a teleporter, and make it to the boss (the enemies in the guns have nowhere to run) all in the same run, or manage to set the whole ship on fire.
Alternatively, hacking. Hacking + teleport isn't too bad to get, especially on easy. Hack shields, down shields, apply fire beam/bomb. You don't want to use a fire drone, too inefficient and random.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: May 06, 2014, 03:57:51 am »

Set a room on fire, hack the door system to lock the crew inside with your boarders.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 243