Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372941 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3015 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:23 pm »

Well, my Engi A run is at sector 8. It *should* be a walk in the park. C'mon breach bombs......
It's a game. Have fun.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: April 18, 2014, 12:42:10 am »

Got the Kestrel C. Its a decent ship I guess. Unfortunately i Killed my own boarders with a burst III.  Do you guys Have a habit of Killing your own crew?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:59 am »

don't all c layouts have the clonebay instead of the medbay? Shouldn't be a problem then :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 18, 2014, 02:15:46 am »

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll shoot a system with both side's crew in it.  Only time its killed my guys that I can remember involved an extremely accurate Flak 2 hit.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: April 18, 2014, 03:18:35 am »

The whole boarding thing is generally pretty easy, so I've never felt the need to shoot my own ship. Maybe if I specifically wanted to breach a section, but door control (and the schmo running it) is always the most important man on the ship. Maybe it gets harder, but on easy/normal, boarders aren't a problem (it's like they killed their own repairmen. Thanks).

Won with that Engi A. Then won with the Fed A straight afterwards and got 2/3 achievements. Even fell for the artillery beam upgrade (I'll never waste scrap or power on it again). Time to crank it up to normal or hard methinks. 3/7 victories on easy so far, normal content. Advanced should wipe the smile off though...... So will hard.

What are people's thoughts on "early training" their crew? I only noticed how many dodges and how much shield work was being done on the Fed A's artillery laser achievement. If you can find the scrap for lvl 2 shields early, is it worthwhile tanking a few hits for a boost later? Or wasting scrap on a crappy weapon in an early sector when victory is certain? It never occurred to me to grind crew before I tried that achievement (a quick kill is a good kill). But does it help in the long run? I tend to end up with pretty multi-roled crew anyway (or more than one that are good at the main jobs. Except my door-man. He's special, it just doesn't look like it).

Is it worth grinding crew (esp on normal/hard in the advanced patch)?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:46:17 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:52 am »

If you don't mind wasting time then sure it's worth it, there's no cost other than tedium and you get a benefit.  I'd say the benefit is pretty marginal for how much time it takes though, you can usually get your gold star crew pretty quickly if you upgrade engines early.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:58 am »

don't all c layouts have the clonebay instead of the medbay? Shouldn't be a problem then :P

Yeah, I realized that after rage quiting.....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3022 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

So just had my first good game of this since AE hit. Started with the engi cruiser and ended up unlocking:

Rock Cruiser
Zoltan Cruiser
Slug Cruiser
Lanius Cruiser
Fed Cruiser

all in one go!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22:28 am »

After killing it the first time, killing the flagship becomes a LOT easier.

A lot easier, apparently. It was literally one run after another.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3024 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:39 am »

Just did the first part of the mantis unlock quest (I already have the cruiser, but I needed an extra mantis for boarding).

Did kazaak start with maxed out all skills in the old version? Because he has maxed skills in my game.
I think that is an AE thing because when I did the zoltan cruiser unlock I got Envoy with maxxed skills but before I just got some scrap

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:03 am »

After killing it the first time, killing the flagship becomes a LOT easier.

A lot easier, apparently. It was literally one run after another.

Really goes to show just how much "skill" there is involved in the game (most of the time, for most ships), really, as opposed to the "chance" dominating people seem to see until they have that flash of understanding and it just clicks.

Did kazaak start with maxed out all skills in the old version? Because he has maxed skills in my game.
Recruits having skills is new. It was clear they wanted him to in the old game but they didn't have the mechanic in place to do it - now they do, and he's been suitable upgraded.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
REH REH REH
« Reply #3026 on: April 18, 2014, 11:35:24 am »

So just had my first good game of this since AE hit. Started with the engi cruiser and ended up unlocking:

Rock Cruiser
Zoltan Cruiser
Slug Cruiser
Lanius Cruiser
Fed Cruiser

all in one go!
Christ.

I'm trying to think about what you need to do for this.

The Zoltan and Lanius cruiser are easy, while the others require luck.

If I remember correctly doesn't the Fed Cruiser have a new unlock method now? (Outside of the new victory chains.) You need defeat an unfinished rebel flagship in the new rebel stronghold sector, right? Didn't it used to be you simply needed to beat the game for it?

Also, Super ninja'd.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:42:21 am by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:08 am »

Zoltan cruiser requires Zoltan Homeworld, meeting the Zoltan and then going to a second quest point.
Rock cruiser requires Rock homeworld, meeting the rock, going to the sun, and then meeting up with the rock again - all marked quest points.
Slug cruiser requires Slug homeworld, meeting the Slug, and then has a completely random chance of whether that might possible lead to the slug quest. If it does, you will need two of a variety of upgrades and need to make several choices correct in order to complete the quest, but best case scenario it's still somewhere around a 66% chance of not unlocking the ship each encounter (though there is sometimes more than one encounter)
Lanius cruiser is an auto-unlock
Fed Cruiser just requires hitting the right zone in a Rebel Stronghold and beating the ship there.

All-in-all, only the slug is particularly luck-based, but holy hell do you have to be lucky to get that many homeworlds/strongholds on a single run!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3028 on: April 18, 2014, 11:50:39 am »

It was an amazingly lucky run. For the slugs I had the required upgraded sensors. The rest... well I was just amazed I kept hitting the events.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: April 18, 2014, 11:52:46 am »

Considering how I haven't seen the Rock Homeworlds even once since the update...
Haven't had a chance to nab that crystal pod either, so I think the crystal ship will be forever locked to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 243