Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372949 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2955 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:09 pm »

Come to think of it I don't really get why the stealth ships only have 3 weapon slots.

Some ships get "lesser" versions or "greater" versions of some systems.

For example I believe some ships get a two person version of the grew teleporter rather then the standard 4.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:11 pm »

Maybe its so the stealth A can't just pick up two crappy 2-shot laser weapons and have a valid weapon loadout?  The double laser is quite efficient afterall, and it combos with the minibeam.  6 laser shots + minibeam could kill the flagship, and it would be hard to get through the game and NOT find enough weapons to set it up.

Or perhaps they set up that game mechanic with the Engi ship and wanted to apply it in other parts of the game?

RE: flagship AI activating, I could have sworn that would drain the ship of oxygen?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:04 pm »

Managed to pick up a Flak I on my Mantis B run. So now I have a question: Breach II or Fire bomb?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 16, 2014, 12:02:50 am »

Managed to pick up a Flak I on my Mantis B run. So now I have a question: Breach II or Fire bomb?

Don't you have 3 weapons slots? Take both if you can. I'd go with Breach II if you have to choose, because it deals upfront damage and works better against auto-repair ships. I don't use bomb weapons that much, so take this with a grain of salt.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 16, 2014, 12:19:59 am »

Personally I prefer the fire bomb, simply because IME autofiring it at the flagship's shield generator room will permanently remove its shields.  Also fun times with rock boarders.  I haven't had much experience with the Breach Bomb II though.

My guess is they both do about the same thing, but the Breach Bomb will require you to repeatedly shoot at the shield generator with your other weapons to prevent repairs, while the fire bombs will take time to do their magic.  Both of them are excellent weapons and with even decent laser/flak weapons they're almost overkill against non-boss enemies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:19 am »

Well not to mention the firebomb can, in one shot... manage to take out the ship's missile systems.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:06 am »

Well, so far I have a Chain Ion, a Flak I, and a choice between the two bombs. Unless the chain ion is worthless, in which case I will dump it for the two bombs. I just don't have many missiles.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:51 am »

Come to think of it I don't really get why the stealth ships only have 3 weapon slots.

Well, the type B at least doesn't really need it - you're very likely to max out your power reqs with 3.

Just beat the game on Hard (Stealth B, obviously)
Glaive Beam + Ion 2 + Ion + Combat Drone + Combat Drone...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suffice to say, the boss did not live very long in any of his stages. I took 4 points of hull damage across all 3. Hah! Take that, Hard Mode!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:42:40 am by GlyphGryph »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:26 am »

They both fill the same role and one of them gets rid of the other's effect, so... yeah, both is a bad idea.

Never had chain ion but all 4 of those weapons are arguably at their most useful when they take out shields.

My advice would be to take the firebomb (or breach bomb, their functionally very similar) and keep your other weapons.  However be aware that your only source of hull damage will be the unreliable flak 1, so be prepared to switch something out if you find a build you like better.  Also when using firebombs man your sensors periodically to see what the status of the enemy ship is, both to see if its safe for boarders and to see if you can get an easy kill on the enemy crew.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:41 am »

...I just picked up a second Flak I for free. Maybe go double-flak plus chain ion to really wreck the flagship's day?

Update: Just wrecked the first stage with chain ion + double flak. Damn hacking hit my teleporter, so I couldn't even use my boarders to take out the tri-missiles. Thankfully my cloak and dodge minimized the damage they did.

Second form down! Only took a single point of hull damage, killed the guy manning the tri-missile and a bunch of other crew besides. Still some alive, but I think this one might be in the bag.

Victory. Once the super shield was down, I sent two mantis to destroy the tri-missile and another to take down the mind control. With those out of the way, the rest was cake.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:41:04 am by Sirus »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:16 am »

Got back into FTL because I saw this thread. Realized I had no save info on this computer, was sad, but I unlocked my way to the Fed cruiser without killing the flagship.

Then I built the most badass fed cruiser ever. Hacking and Cloaking subsystems, Triple shot laser, flak cannon, and dual heavy laser armament. Diverse crew, max shields, max engines, max cloak, max hack.

Brought down stage 1 of the Flagship losing only four health. Brought down stage two without a hit. Stage three... goddamn teleporter. Lost two crewmen, got brought down to critical hull, but took out the flagship with a massive weapons barrage. Which my Engi suffocated in order to give me full power on.

I love this game, and the new tech is amazing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:46 am »

I had no saveinfo on this computer either, but Steam brought my save over from other computers. Wonder why it didn't do the same for you.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:45 am »

Probably because I didn't buy it on steam?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: April 16, 2014, 03:21:53 am »

It sounds silly but I am really waiting for the FTL imitators to start coming out of the woodwork because every once in a while a game comes up with an idea you really feel should be more common or that could be used in more scenarios.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: April 16, 2014, 06:51:50 am »

I prefer the breach bomb.  The fire bomb is fun, but it takes a long time to do anything.  If you have enough time to wait for the fire to burn them out then it was not a hard battle to begin with.

Wheras the breach II instantly disables a weapon or sets you up for a deadly volley.  It's also a lot better against auto-ships.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 243