Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372957 times)

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2925 on: April 14, 2014, 09:23:43 pm »

Yes, thankfully it did.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:57 am »

Jesus Christ, even on Easy mode I'm getting screwed over repeatedly.

Like right now. Decide to try and get Federation Cruiser C, start in a nebula. VERY FIRST JUMP, plasma storm. Weapons down, shields down, I reroute power as much as I can to deal with the rebel scout pummeling me with heavy and single lasers. I get shields up, but two shots in a row manage to connect to the shield generator and set it on fire. Since I can't run the shields I turn the O2 back on. Very next hit takes the O2 out. Heavy laser destroys the engines. Artillery laser finally fires at this point, disabling enough of the scout's systems that I manage to bring it down.

25% of my hull gone in a single jump. I can't think of a single way I could have avoided taking so much damage; at the start of the fight my shields and engines were at maximum power. Just pure bad luck was all it was.

AND ONCE AGAIN: Shields disabled by event, attacked by minibeam and beam drone simultaneously. There is absolutely nothing you can do to defend against that combination short of cloaking, and I haven't found a store selling that yet.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:11:48 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:57 am »

The fed C is kindof awful.  It has no defenses and both of its offensive abilities are incredibly slow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: April 15, 2014, 09:49:22 am »

Fire ze missiles!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:31 am »

My Federation Cruiser has Cloaking...I feel that this is something that wasn't possible before. It is also rather disgustingly powerful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:28 am »

It was not, in fact, possible before AE.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:51 am »

First victory against hard advanced mode boss, using a poorly equipped Lanius B. The door to the missile room was a big surprise, and forced me into mind-control kidnapping until I'd whittled down the crew enough to destroy it. Having my teleporter hacked actually helped, after I discovered powering it down prevented unintentional beam-outs. A single anti-drone makes short work of the second stage, and the starting flak cannon cuts up the super shield pretty quickly. Still, a hard-fought battle.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:56:49 am by BigFatStupidHead »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »

Mantis B run is going somewhat well. Have three max-level mantis boarders and a full crew for the essential systems, a cloak, and a couple of bomb weapons (mostly for knocking out pesky enemy medbays). Plus a chain ion which I can't use yet. The only problem is that I can't do anything at all to automated ship except flee. I also don't know if I can do anything to the flagship.

Still, right now all I care about is unlocking the C layout.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »

This stealth run's going shit.

Try to get the third achievement, get denied because a sector generates with the ONLY beacon to the final one being an asteroid field, then during the fight in said asteroid field, I lose my boarder to a missile hitting me through my stealth.}

EDIT: Gave up after encountering a stupidly overpowered lanius cruiser. Flak MK II, two missile weapons, clone bay, mind control, hacking, boarders, level 3 shields and stealth. Lost half my crew trying to get rid of the boarders, their fucking mind control kept making my guys kill weapons, shields and such...

At that point I usually jump to whichever beacon is least likely to have a fight.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: April 15, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »

Mantis B run is going somewhat well. Have three max-level mantis boarders and a full crew for the essential systems, a cloak, and a couple of bomb weapons (mostly for knocking out pesky enemy medbays). Plus a chain ion which I can't use yet. The only problem is that I can't do anything at all to automated ship except flee. I also don't know if I can do anything to the flagship.

You should get any weapon that can deal free hull damage, and I mean any weapon.  Doesn't matter if it's a beam, a laser, a heavy laser, flak or a drone.  Doesn't matter if it's a shitty overcosted weapon.  As long as it can deal some damage you can easily beat the flagship after killing off its systems.

If not then you can still win, but you'd have to sacrifice one of your guys to deal the final point of damage in each round.

This also has the added bonus of turning auto-ships into big bags of free scrap, since they have no way to defend against you teleporting in and destroying their systems (assuming you have a level 2 teleporter and you only send in two of your guys at any one time).

I actually scored a win with the Mantis B today in fact, since you have bombs and a cloak too you can probably use basically the same tactic of bombing their medbay then wiping out the crew in phase one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: April 15, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »

On my mantis B rn they hacked my pilot room so instantly I had no dodge whatsoever.

I died pretty quickly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

Here's a good bit of advice I learned early on that really helps to remember: If you have a Hull Smasher weapon, learn when to stop targeting systems. Can't tell you how many times I had a Hull Smasher II and took more damage than I needed to because I was focusing on trying to keep some system down with it instead of doing 6 Damage a turn to their hull with it instead. A dead enemy poses no threat!

This goes doubly for the Boss. Sometimes you're much better off smacking them for extra hull damage than you are trying to keep some system down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: April 15, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »

DING! FIRST WIN! ENGI CRUISER IS SEXAH BEAST
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:01 pm »

You should get any weapon that can deal free hull damage, and I mean any weapon.  Doesn't matter if it's a beam, a laser, a heavy laser, flak or a drone.  Doesn't matter if it's a shitty overcosted weapon.  As long as it can deal some damage you can easily beat the flagship after killing off its systems.

If not then you can still win, but you'd have to sacrifice one of your guys to deal the final point of damage in each round.

This also has the added bonus of turning auto-ships into big bags of free scrap, since they have no way to defend against you teleporting in and destroying their systems (assuming you have a level 2 teleporter and you only send in two of your guys at any one time).

I actually scored a win with the Mantis B today in fact, since you have bombs and a cloak too you can probably use basically the same tactic of bombing their medbay then wiping out the crew in phase one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I forgot to mention, but one of the bombs is a fire bomb. Assuming I can kill off enough crew members, I can set a room on fire and let that deal the final damage point each round.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: April 15, 2014, 05:24:30 pm »

Autorepair was easy last time that happened. With the crew dead I was able to just plant a crew member in a room and continuously damage it, taking down the hull point by point. Even saved the guy by starting a fire and letting it deal the final blow.

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 243