Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373081 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2730 on: April 09, 2014, 11:45:10 am »

Thankfully, it's one environment effect at a time, with Nebula + Ion Storm being the only exception. Otherwise, the worst ever would be Pulsar + Asteroid... Pulsar guarantees your shields will never come back online.  :'(

No there is another combination... but I cannot remember what it is.

Ionstorm + Pulsar? Ohh well I'll never remember and I am probably just remembering Nebula + Ion Storm anyway.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:14 pm »

I would say Stealth B is about as far away from "nothing can touch you" as you can get, incidentally.  Beams and drones will still obliterate you.

That's what the extra level of cloak is for. Negates beams entirely, since it lets you slam them before they can get a mini-beam off, so long as your weapon system is manned.

Beam drones, admittedly, can be an issue. Buying an extra level or two of weapons is a pretty good safeguard against that until you can get a shield.

But no, regular beam weapons can't touch you before getting off your first shot if you've upgraded your cloak, and if they are doing so you've done something terribly wrong. >_>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:21:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »

That's true if you're assuming that all of their weapons will be disabled in a single glaive beam.  That isn't really a safe bet if they have more than 1 level of shield.

And all attack drones are equally bad, it's not like you have anything to protect against combat or fire ones either.

I guess you could upgrade your weapon system, but that's another pretty large expense on a ship that already has a pretty painful set of mandatory expenses.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »

The best way to avoid drones of any kind as Stealth B is to not cloak instantly into the fight and paying very, very good attention to where any given drone is aiming when it's about to fire. If it's targeting your Cloaking or Weapons, cloak immediately. If it's targeting anything else, you more or less need to suck it up, but you should be able to take a few hits. Running into anything with combat drones early on is a rare event, at least in my experience, so you should be able to take some punishment and get away with it.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 09, 2014, 01:02:15 pm »

It feels like nobody read what he said. He said upgrade the cloaking, but nobody seemed to spot that, and now nobody seems to have spotted the second part.

Well I'm glad someone else noticed this.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:26 pm »

The best way to avoid drones of any kind as Stealth B is to not cloak instantly into the fight and paying very, very good attention to where any given drone is aiming when it's about to fire. If it's targeting your Cloaking or Weapons, cloak immediately. If it's targeting anything else, you more or less need to suck it up, but you should be able to take a few hits. Running into anything with combat drones early on is a rare event, at least in my experience, so you should be able to take some punishment and get away with it.

Yeah this sort of thing is also important, and is part of why I think the ship is just so much fun.

I should try and beat the game without shields at some point. Would be a fun challenge since I keep failing at the prison ship one. Stupid mind controlled prisoners standing in fire and vacuum rooms...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 09, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »

That does help a bit I guess, I can usually get past a couple of sectors using those tactics (although on hard mode there are lots of drones even early on and you get hit constantly).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 09, 2014, 02:51:36 pm »

Yeah, honestly I don't know if I could win the game with Stealth B on Hard Mode. I love the ship, but it's certainly not the best from a strictly "win the game" perspective.

Everyone knows the Torus is the best ship.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 09, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »

I prefer Zoltan B. Once it gets shields it's terrifying.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 09, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

Yeah, honestly I don't know if I could win the game with Stealth B on Hard Mode. I love the ship, but it's certainly not the best from a strictly "win the game" perspective.

Everyone knows the Torus is the best ship.

While I'm a Kestral fan myself... yeah Torus is best.  Its not that its flashy or anything, but it starts with a highly useful crew, an augmentation that counters a weakness of said crew, a weapon that can take down the flagship's shields on its own, and a drone system.  All very practical.  And now even more so since doors can be manned.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »

I wonder if they have any plans to bring FTL to the Android market as well as the iPad?

Would love to play it a bit more on my Asus tablet, since I am against all things Apple.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 09, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

I wonder if they have any plans to bring FTL to the Android market as well as the iPad?

Would love to play it a bit more on my Asus tablet, since I am against all things Apple.
I've read things where the devs say they're not against it, but they have no timeline on when it will become a thing for android. They've left their options open for it, apparently.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »

So just got this yesterday.

And I have learned an important lesson today: If there is a fire in your oxygen room, send crew. Never vent oxygen from your oxygen room.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 10, 2014, 12:41:25 pm »

Anyone got any tips for using the Federation Cruiser C? I mostly just send my mantis in suicide missions to destroy some of their systems and kill their crew while the flak artillery charges. Am I using it right?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 10, 2014, 12:44:32 pm »

Never kill your borders.
But it starts out with a level 2 clone bay, what else am I gonna use it for?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 243